Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towbar mounted carrier

• 30-06-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi All Has anybody any views/recomendations regarding a towbar mounted carrier to carry 3 mountain bikes, preferably one that carries the bike on it's wheels. I have been looking at the Halfrauds 4 bike or thule 9403 3 bike- has anybody got one of these? what do you think of it?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have the Thule rack, it is grand and does the job well, bit of a pain to mount and dismount. the first few times I used it I half expected to see the bikes bouncing down the road but the clamp is more than strong enough.

I also have a Hollywood two bike towbar mounted rack that gets used the whole time and just lives in the boot of my car, takes about 20 seconds to mount or dismount and is used by preference unless I absolutely have to bring 3 bikes on a rack - well worth a look - I think that there are 3 bike versions from Thule

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hollywood/hr150-towball-2-bike-rack-ec020541

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have the Altera Strada DL, with the add-on bar for a fourth bike (which I haven't fitted yet). It fits easily in the boot when not mounted. I've not tried it with mountain bikes.

Consider weights and folded dimensions. The Thules are generally big and heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

Thanks Guys, to be honest I have a Paddy Hopkirk 2 bike carrier and this is what I use currently, it's fine for short trips with 1 bike (although a full sus mt bike has to be put on at a silly angle). The bigger carrier will only be used occasionally for family trips etc. the atera is a bit pricey for this so it looks like the Thule might be good enough.

Advertisement