Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant and seeking work

Options
  • 01-07-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Moral dilemma-opinions and stories of any experiences of similar situations from either employees or employers would be much appreciated!
    Found out I am pregnant and found out I am going to lose my job in the same week.
    Have no finish date yet, but I am a professional who works with minors, so any new post I might possibly get will not start until Garda vetting is complete, that takes up to three months and I want to hold out for redundancy if it's being offered.
    Allowing a month, give or take, for recruitment process (it can often take longer) that takes me up to the 5th or 6th month of pregnancy. At what point do I mention my pregnancy to a prospective employer? Usually contracts aren't officially offered until the Garda vetting is through and all references are checked.
    I also don't want to start a job and then head off on maternity leave 2 months later, as I would consider it irresponsible to the young people I work with as well as unfair to the management and staff, but if I mention it before starting/signing a contract, let's face it, I won't get the job! And I really need to work as my husband has already been let go.
    All perspectives greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

And I really need to work as my husband has already been let go.
    All perspectives greatly appreciated!

I think you have answered your own question.

So if I was you I would not mention it during an interview.
    Even if the hiring manager thinks your pregnant he/she if smart would not ask or mention it during an interview as it might leave the company open to false discrimination claims.

However my wife is pregnant with our second one and I know that she has to provide a minimum notice in writing that she plans to take maternity leave,for us I believe this is quite a short notice and the deadline would be sometime during the last trimester .

If this is just my wife's employer or normal practice i would not like to say, i would check citizensinformation.ie if i was you.

Advertisement