Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to college with a Leaving cert and Fetac Level 5?

• 01-07-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

As the title suggests I'm applying to college with both my leaving cert and a fetac level 5 course i completed this year (Sat my Leaving Cert last year), my question relates to gaining a place. I have added both the Fetac and LC to my CAO application but want to know if my fetac results are not good enough can i fall back on my leaving cert points and vice versa?

Thanks, Any input would be greatfully recieved!

Oh and by the way the course I'm interested in doing in "Print and Digital Media Technology Management in DIT" (DT596): Any Body doing it?

Thanks Again.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

dermo_2011 wrote: »
    As the title suggests I'm applying to college with both my leaving cert and a fetac level 5 course i completed this year (Sat my Leaving Cert last year), my question relates to gaining a place. I have added both the Fetac and LC to my CAO application but want to know if my fetac results are not good enough can i fall back on my leaving cert points and vice versa?

Thanks, Any input would be greatfully recieved!

Oh and by the way the course I'm interested in doing in "Print and Digital Media Technology Management in DIT" (DT596): Any Body doing it?

Thanks Again.:D

Im not 100% on whether or not you can fall back on points or how that system works, but I know there are a small number of places reserved on some courses for FETAC applicants but if you copy and paste the link you can enter the course code and see it requires at least 5 distinctions.

www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search.php

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

elvis99 wrote: »
    I know there are a small number of places reserved on some courses for FETAC applicants

Or the OP could have applied using the Pilot Scheme i.e. using FETAC points.

You might have to contact the CAO on that one OP. I'm guessing that would take the best result, but I wouldn't know for sure.

deemark wrote: »
    Or the OP could have applied using the Pilot Scheme i.e. using FETAC points.

You might have to contact the CAO on that one OP. I'm guessing that would take the best result, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Do any of the Universities run the pilot scheme? Im in a similar situation to the op but I was thinking about applying to NUIG in the next CAO window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

There is a member called Further Ed. and he works for fetac, he has been a great help to me , if you pm him , he will be able to tell you, best of luck

elvis99 wrote: »
    Do any of the Universities run the pilot scheme? Im in a similar situation to the op but I was thinking about applying to NUIG in the next CAO window

It's all IoTs I'm afraid. The list of institutes operating it is here

• Advertisement

Thanks for info guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dermo_2011

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, contacted the cao by email today and they said;

"Yes, you are considered for a place on BOTH the results of Fetac and your Leaving Cert"

hope this clears it up for anybody who was in a similar situation as myself wondering.:D

dermo_2011 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help and suggestions guys, contacted the cao by email today and they said;

"Yes, you are considered for a place on BOTH the results of Fetac and your Leaving Cert"

That's useful to know - fairest thing all round. Must make a note of that info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Alie - thanks for the praise but I dont work for FETAC.

Elvis99 - the Universities use the Higher Education Links Scheme - they reserve a small number of places on a number of courses at Level 8 while those using the Pilot scheme (only in the IoTs) compete directly with Leaving Cert applicants. The points are calculated differently for both sets of FETAC applicants. Check out the CAO website to see what the links for the degree course you wish to take are.

Advertisement