Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - Coolit ECO Advanced Liquid Cooler

Options
  • 01-07-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I built a computer last year with the Coolit ECO Advanced Liquid Cooler, only to find it was very noisy because the pump was not working correctly. I returned it to Dabs.ie and received a new one which has been working fine.

I received parts today for a new computer and I ordered the same liquid cooler as I found it worked great on my previous build, however this time when I opened the pack the whole thing was drenched in coolant, and the copper plate of the cooling block had been corroded. Obviously a leak somewhere in what is advertised as I sealed system. Returning it as soon as possible.

Either my luck has been very bad, 1 in 3 is a very poor success rate, or there is a problem with the quality of the production of this cooler. If it had not leaked into the packaging and instead waited to leak when it was pumping coolant in the computer it could have been a costly and messy situation.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Hmm... is this the cooler I've seen many of languishing around in PCWorld stores despite massive price reductions?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Could be, I haven't seen any in the Limerick PC World, but it is literally half the price now compared to when I bought it last year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ugh. Guessing there's an ageing issue with the material used for the seals or something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Solitaire wrote: »
    Ugh. Guessing there's an ageing issue with the material used for the seals or something :eek:

Bloody hell I hope not.

I'd imagine people would plan on using a cooler for more than a couple of months, and if its a corrosion issue due to the seal breaking down over time - I'd imagine they'l have close to a 100% warranty return rate.

It could be however due to how / where they are being stored in the outlets. i.e somewhere very cold and damp, or in the vicinity of certain gases / chemicals etc causing it.

Do you know if there are / were any in PC World in jervis? If so, I might pick one up just to see.

OP - thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bloody hell I hope not.

I'd imagine people would plan on using a cooler for more than a couple of months, and if its a corrosion issue due to the seal breaking down over time - I'd imagine they'l have close to a 100% warranty return rate.

It could be however due to how / where they are being stored in the outlets. i.e somewhere very cold and damp, or in the vicinity of certain gases / chemicals etc causing it.

Do you know if there are / were any in PC World in jervis? If so, I might pick one up just to see.

OP - thanks for the warning.

I would imagine they made the mistake of using two separate metals for the block and rad. This causes corrosion which in turn makes the water acidic. Then the seals go. It used to be pretty common with cheap WC setups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I would imagine they made the mistake of using two separate metals for the block and rad. This causes corrosion which in turn makes the water acidic. Then the seals go. It used to be pretty common with cheap WC setups.

Possibly alright. I would have expected them to be nickel plated though. Numpty's.

Advertisement