Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambient-drone, would appreciate feedback

• 01-07-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

(Pun intended btw.)

http://soundcloud.com/aidanrowe/gilded-lily

I can never quite tell whether stuff I produce is boring or not, because I'm too intimately involved in the process. I'd appreciate comments, thoughts, advice etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I liked it. What program do you use? Nice use of FM synths in the middle, subtle and not too harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I liked it. What program do you use? Nice use of FM synths in the middle, subtle and not too harsh.

Thanks, I use REAPER. I find workflow much slower on other DAWs I tried. (Although it comes with fewer instruments, so you have to build up your own set of VSTis from around the place.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Cool. I currently use Ableton but I might get a trial of Reaper and give it a go. Keep it up. You layered stuff pretty nicely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I may as well be looking at Chinese watching you two talk:D
    I would love to hear the underlying bass go an octave or two lower - maybe a touch more sinister - with the bass acting as a kind of foreboding. I think that the central riff is beautifully understated and complicatedly simple but it just needs a deeper contrast. Percussion - is that not suitable for this genre? I Loved the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not a drone really but its pleasant enough in a minimal "twinkly" fashion.

This is more of what I think of a drone track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I like it.
    Google "Tuvan throat singing" for your edification and tell me what you think.
    Hang on, will post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

slowburner wrote: »
    I would love to hear the underlying bass go an octave or two lower - maybe a touch more sinister - with the bass acting as a kind of foreboding.

Yeah, I was considering doing that, but I wanted the track to kind of flirt with both positivity and negativity, and too much bass might have pushed it too far in one direction.

Ataxia wrote: »
    Yeah, I was considering doing that, but I wanted the track to kind of flirt with both positivity and negativity, and too much bass might have pushed it too far in one direction.
    Then you succeeded :)

Advertisement