Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dairy hygeine

• 01-07-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hav problems with TBC. New test machine in creamery never had problem before,in penalty category last month. Love to get some advice please :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

how high is it...when did you last change liners etc... is the tank clean.... if it is persistant problem the milk must be passing over some dirt somewhere... do you hotwash and what detergent do you use? Are all the jars washing properly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

whelan1 wrote: »
    how high is it...when did you last change liners etc... is the tank clean.... if it is persistant problem the milk must be passing over some dirt somewhere... do you hotwash and what detergent do you use? Are all the jars washing properly?
    highest up to ninety, changed liners 3 weeks ago. tank is clean . I use Osmonds detergents koldene powder supersan liquid and milkstone remover

in plate cooler ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Ours went into three figures earlier this year, turns out a dirty rubber bend, went back under 10 again, last year it was the tank not washing properly. Frustrating but just need to eliminate things one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Might sound like a stupid question, but are your vacuum lines clean? I remember years ago we had a mystery TBC problem which turned out to be a manky vacuum line.

• Advertisement

in plate cooler ?
    no plate cooler. neighbour tells me paracetic acid in rinse water is very good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

http://www.greenfielddairy.ie/files/uploads/PDF/Gleeson,%20David%20-%20Producing%20Clean%20Milk.pdf

+1 on the vac line, we had trouble a few years back with poor vacum, was taking off bend on pump to take pump off and seen all this junk inside it! saved us having to get a new pump :D

Also make sure the cluster bowl isnt hanging backwards and try to keep them level when washing, is there hard water in the area? how often do ya do an acid wash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

red bull wrote: »
    no plate cooler. neighbour tells me paracetic acid in rinse water is very good ?

It's an excellent sterilant, but is only really effective on a plant that is not soiled in the first place. I'd recommend getting to the bottom of your current problem before starting with peracetic, as you may only be curing the symptoms rather than the disease, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Jars or not? If you have jars, check to see if they are dirty. If they are then do a hot acid wash followed by a hot caustic wash every day. Do this until you sort the problem.

Next check the claw pieces to see if there is a fatty build up. If yes then get the cluster brush and clean them with warm caustic (use gloves) until they are clean and do a double hot wash.

Next check the milk rubbers. Take one off and run hot water through it at pressure. If you get a white scum out then wash all the rubbers till it is all out. You should probably do it even if you have changed the rubbers lately to see if the problem is in just one milk line.

Next take off a milk line to the reception jar and check if this is clean.

Next check the reception jar and make sure it is clean.

Next check the line to the tank. Then the tank. Then the vaccum line. Then the sanitary trap. Then the vaccum pump.

Check your hot water and see if it is clean. I had a lump of s***e in the rinse water last week after a break in the water line was repaired. Also check the temperature the water is at when washing. Iirc it should be over 60 degrees. Also run a small pipe from the hot tap to the bottom of the wash tank as this can give you 5 degrees extra heat when washing.

I was through the same thing 3 years ago and it's annoying (and expensive:mad:). If you want send me a PM and i can talk you through the different bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭bt12

might be worth taking two samples, one as normal from the tank and one the milking machine only. this should make it faster to trace the problem

• Advertisement

out of interest have the creamery contacted you to advise you on the problem?

out of interest have the creamery contacted you to advise you on the problem?
    no they send test results by text msg

do you request extra tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

this is a long shot but a neighbour had this problem TBC up and down 15 one test and 90 the next

turned out to be his own domestic water supply that he was using for years

he changed over to using mains water for washing the machine and hasn't had a problem since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

1 l stericlor in hot water followed by hydrosan type product in cold water, leave in plant between milkings and flush with plenty of water before milking.
    very hard on rubber ware but will move a lot of things.
    dont do it too often as ware on rubbers could lead to more problems in the long term

And when you are washing be sure to check that each unit is actually washing. Make sure the airholes in the bottom of the cluster and in the jeter holder are clear as it will help the circulation. You will have to check everywhere milk is circulating as only a small ammount of buildup can wreck your TBC for ages. Let us know how you get on and what you found and how you cured it

5live wrote: »
    And when you are washing be sure to check that each unit is actually washing. Make sure the airholes in the bottom of the cluster and in the jeter holder are clear as it will help the circulation. You will have to check everywhere milk is circulating as only a small ammount of buildup can wreck your TBC for ages. Let us know how you get on and what you found and how you cured it
    i remember the last guy i had working would tell me the machine was washing perfect- it wasnt.... so what i do now is i walk up and down the parlour after i have put it on washing , takes 1 minute and at least you know

i remember the last guy i had working would tell me the machine was washing perfect- it wasnt.... so what i do now is i walk up and down the parlour after i have put it on washing , takes 1 minute and at least you know
    Thanks. I thought i was the only one with OCD:D. When i have a cold wash all the units wash grand but when i put on a hot wash units 12 and 13 wont circulate through the cluster but 14 will:confused: and i cant find any reason why:mad:

unit 15 is my problem:o

Thanks. I thought i was the only one with OCD:D. When i have a cold wash all the units wash grand but when i put on a hot wash units 12 and 13 wont circulate through the cluster but 14 will:confused: and i cant find any reason why:mad:

is the bowl on the cluster at the same angle as the rest of the units?

• Advertisement

John_F wrote: »
    is the bowl on the cluster at the same angle as the rest of the units?
    Yup. And screwed in properly and all the air holes free and it still wont wash when hot but fine when cold.:o
    I have to go and release air into the 2 units to get circulation going. I just cant figure it out.

Thanks to all of you, last test 23 going in the right direction not quite there yet:D

red bull wrote: »
    Thanks to all of you, last test 23 going in the right direction not quite there yet:D
    Jaysus thats great but what did you do differently:confused:

Jaysus thats great but what did you do differently:confused:
    Did loads of hot washes with koldklene+parlorsan followed by milkstone remover. Got thermodex to add to rinse water, so hopefully im on the right road!:D

Good to hear. Congratulations;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

How regularly are people doing hot washes?

i hot wash every morning and descale every 10 days. after the descale wash i wash out again with hypochlorite.... tbc is NORMALLY below 15 got a 41 for last week as motor of tank washer was playing up:rolleyes: all sorted now

Tipp Man wrote: »
    How regularly are people doing hot washes?
    Every 3 days with a hot acid followed by a hot caustic every 2 to 3 weeks. If the tbc goes over 15 then double hot (acid followed by caustic) every day till its back to 10. And i do 3 washes with each change of wash;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Plant gets a hot wash every other day - alternates with the bulk tank hot wash. Descale once every 10 days.

• Advertisement

hot wash once per day, reuse in morning, using turbosan, dont descale that often as water is ok. tbc at 7 now and always around this. alot depends on the water in my opinion

Thanks for that john f but isnt teagasc advice now to rinse with cold water as this lowers the Thermoduric (or rinsing with warm water will increase it:confused:).

It doesnt make sense to me if hot washes lower the thermoduric but warm rinse will increase it (with a hot wash coming after;)). I had this argument with my advisor earlier this year:pac:

Advertisement