Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Booster?

• 01-07-2011 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Basically my modem is upstairs and in certain parts of the house I can't get wireless due to being too far away (1st world problems eat your heart out). Is there a thing I could plug in which would simply amplify the signal downstairs so that I could remain online everywhere I want?

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. In the past I've heard that a 'switch' will do it but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I'm not completely retarded with regards to technology but when it comes to this I clearly am. Any information / products is very welcome.

I'm on a Netopia router if that makes any difference (doubt it does) and have a spare router (Intellinet I believe) lying around too. I remember researching if I could amplify the signal with the extra router but I never attempted whatever I read at the time!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What you're essentially looking for is a Wireless Access Point, which will act as a relay between the router upstairs and any wireless device downstairs. Head into any local IT store or take a quick browse online to see if you can pick yourself up one. I can't think for the life of me at the moment what to recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

You could also look into the Wireless LAN plug option. Basically they look like double adapters that are plugged into the electrical sockets in the wall and use the electrical wiring of your house to transfer data.
    They come in kits of 2, one plugs in beside the router and is connected to it via lan cable, the other is plugged into a socket in the room you are using the laptop - so you are getting the wireless signal from it.
    There are different speeds/transfer rartes available - look for the 200 ones if you can find them at a reasonable price.
    Cant recommend any specific make or model but do shop around.
    Be sure that you get a kit with 2 - they are also sold in boxes of 1.
    Post back with your progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN-duo-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B000BK87G8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309532095&sr=8-8

Would this do the trick? I'm guessing that one plugs into the wall + router and the other one plugs into the wall + ??

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

jive wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/devolo-dLAN-duo-HomePlug-Starter/dp/B000BK87G8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1309532095&sr=8-8

Would this do the trick? I'm guessing that one plugs into the wall + router and the other one plugs into the wall + ??

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Thats close but that is the slower speed and it only has the cabled option i.e. you have to connect it to the laptop via ethernet cable - not a problem if you dont mind that, but it wont give you wireless.
    Look for the 200mbps version (price permitting) and if you want wireless make sure the one you pick specifically states that it has wireless.
    I wont recommend any make or model as I havent really used them much, but from what I have seen prices vary greatly so shop around.
    Definately check your local pcworld, maplin, harvey norman. They regularly have offers for these kind of things.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

maybe this
    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=33&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=8
    you could also just try a cheaper alternative of replacing the netopia router antenna with a 9/12 db model.
    just a thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement