Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salem Witch Trials

• 01-07-2011 5:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe this thread should be in paganism, or paranormal. Please accept my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've been reading a fictional book which centers around "witchfinders" and one womans rational argument against witchcraft. Of course being about the witch trails of the 1600's, Salem features in the book.

This lead me to look up the facts surrounding the witch trials and I have to say I was shocked to learn some of the facts. I was always aware that salem had trials and people were murdered but I never realised quite how bad it all got. Such as when one accused had been found guilty she recited "the lords prayer" supposedly impossible for a witch, but was told that as she was already found guilty, her punushment stands. I was also hugely saddened to learn of Gile Corey and Rebecca Nurse, both in their late 70's or 80's and both dying horrific deaths at the hands of the cleansers.

Abigal Williams is of particular interest, I can find no records of what happened to her after the trials. Rumours of her staying in salem and dying having never married and others of her travelling to boston, living as a prostitute and having a child outside marriage is all I can find. I would love if anybody had any more information.

I vaguely remember reading something about a food that was popular at the time having similar effects to those of LSD being a possible cause for the girls hysteria*, there is the explanation of mass hysteria mixed with very strict religious beliefs, and then the most sinister one of the girls simply playing for attention.

I'm really interested in others opinions on the trials, the accusers, whether the accusers were guilty of a horrible wrong doing or if the were just kids who didn't understand what they were doing. Maybe they felt they were correct,caught up in the throes of hysteria. Maybe they were ill. What do you think?

*the lsd like substance may have been in the water either I can't remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Re: the "LSD-like substance", you might be thinking of Ergot - a type of fungus that grows on grain and can cause severe hallucinations... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

For myself, the Witch Trials seem to have been a combination of religious fanaticism, intolerance, and mob-mentality which led to mass-group-hysteria. Pretty standard fare for humankind, and certainly with plenty of precedent throughout human history (and present).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you want another example OP, read up on Biddy Early murdered by her husband in Tipperary in the 19th century

It's not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9 K2011

Biddy Early was from Clare. The lady to whom you refer is Bridget Cleary (nee Boland). It was alleged that Bridget was a changeling, not a witch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From a legalish PoV of the trials, the following book was interesting "Judge Sewall's Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of a Conscience" by Richard Francis.

Advertisement