Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone go to Brian Ferry Last night?

• 01-07-2011 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Did anyone go to brian ferry last night?
    Was he any good? what type of set did he play? was there many of the hits?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As predicted, the ticket distribution was a farce with the place being only half full at most. A lot of people were also only going for the sake of going (without even knowing who he was) and as a result headed back to the Plaza for the other acts. It's a shame because I know a lot of people that genuinely wanted to see him were left disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

AdMMM wrote: »
    As predicted, the ticket distribution was a farce with the place being only half full at most. A lot of people were also only going for the sake of going (without even knowing who he was) and as a result headed back to the Plaza for the other acts. It's a shame because I know a lot of people that genuinely wanted to see him were left disappointed.

Half full my bollox. It was buzzing down there and the chap put on a great show.
    The waterboys tonight should be rockin. Also, bulmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

longshanks wrote: »
    AdMMM wrote: »

Half full my bollox. It was buzzing down there and the chap put on a great show.
    The waterboys tonight should be rockin. Also, bulmers.

Maybe at the start but I just wandered in 40 minutes into it.

The capacity was meant to be something like 12000. Definitely wasn't that!

I did a quick headcount about seven songs in and came to 11865.
    Good show. Also, bulmers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Anyone who ever thought to see a capacity of 12000 is optimistic as feck.

Anyone I know who went said he was absolutely brilliant, but from talking to others it seems everyone just wants to see O Emperor and The Waterboys.

• Advertisement

What was rick whelan doing on the stage? I thought I was hallucinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thought crowd was huge, show was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Went along, thought it was decent, the last 5 tracks or so were deadly. Loads of tickets around beforehand, I had 4 that I was given half an hour before the gig and couldnt give them away - apparently it will be similar for Sharon Shannon on Sunday, no tickets to be had for the Waterboys tonight though.

Would be a class venue to put on a gig I thought. Perhaps something there over 2 nights every summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

KevIRL wrote: »
    Went along, thought it was decent, the last 5 tracks or so were deadly. Loads of tickets around beforehand, I had 4 that I was given half an hour before the gig and couldnt give them away - apparently it will be similar for Sharon Shannon on Sunday, no tickets to be had for the Waterboys tonight though.

Would be a class venue to put on a gig I thought. Perhaps something there over 2 nights every summer?
    Wonder why they didn't have that 50 Cent concert there, would have been ideal. Maybe Spraoi will have a stage there. It'd be great to have concerts there every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not my cup of tea but I went along, met some folks I'd not seen in ages, chatted with tourists and enjoyed the evening. Tonight should be good.

Kicking myself I didn't think of lashing together some Pirate Metal event for the fest \m/ :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

apparantly a lot of people who didnt have tickets were allowed in anyway last night.
    I wonder would it be the same for tonight? i just want to see O Emperor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i was down there, loved it, i was really looking forward to Ferry and he was great. I would agree with a previous post, but its the same in nearly all outdoor concerts in Ireland, Irish people want to stand around and chat rather than listen to the music, pity some of em didnt give their tickets to some actual fans. All around, excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would it be possible to put a marquee down there like they do in Cork. ???

wonder would MCD, Aiken or live nation be intrested in Waterford as a music venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Yes waterboys and Ferry were brilliant I couldn't understand this crack of yapping away during a concert to be honest , surely we should kick on from here and nail down a proper and regular music venue for the south east and let's get these acts that other cities get . As am away today till Sunday and last night was my last event of the tall ships,just well done to all concerned on a well organised tall ships festival. Again we shouldn't need to use the tall ships event to put on a world class festival . Onwards and upwards for Waterford city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

As per above at times I too could hear the hum of chatting above some of the slower numbers @ The Waterboys. Great set up for a gig though. Very well organised. Can't see why people would complain: free gig, dry sunny evening, great atmosphere & good bands. Then again some people will always complain. Hope to see many more gigs down there in the future as its a large enough space. Easliy get a marquee in there to counter the unpredictable Irish weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

I wasn't too pushed about seeing Mr. Ferry, but wound up enjoying it a lot. The dancing girls helped, as did the backing singers! Nice to see Chris Spedding rocking out on guitar too. I really disliked the P.A. mix for the Waterboys though, far too much bass drum, it seemed to drown out the bass guitar even. (Maybe that's just me.) But free gigs? Shouldn't complain too much. Now I'm off to set up the sounds for the Gypsy Jazz gig in Geoff's at 1 o'clock, see you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

waterboys were ok fine big stage there ,freaky frisking on the way in still it was'nt packed out by any means....

Ok!!! My god still each to their own .

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I'm not the biggest Ferry fan, but it was a great gig. I stayed for over an hour and thought the crowd there was good, possibly 85% full to be honest. Reckon they could of squashed in another 2,000 perhaps but by no means was it half empty. Have a pic I took when leaving, can clearly see there was maybe 20 meters of space at the entrance but the rest was pretty much full. Drink tent was quick mind you, but that's far from a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

There was a lot more at the waterboys last night then there was the night before. I thought the waterboys were excellent last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I travelled from Galway for the tall ships and had a great time in Waterford, I cannot understand how you had to have tickets for a free open air concert, surely you could have let in the punters until it looked full and then stop entry, I could not get tickets for the Waterboys and was outside the barrier looking in and it was by no means full, the security could have let us in at that stage as it was almost over, I also could not understand security frisking people before letting them in, I was at Take That in Dublin and nothing like that happened.

Finally I had tickets for Sharon Shannon and these tickets must cost a small fortune to print them, there must be a cheaper way to issue tickets and allow the organisers have more money for the Ships.

Anyway had a great time in Waterford as I had in 2005 so I will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Storm, the way it was done ensured that the people that really wanted to see the acts they liked, got to see them. If you just let in everyone til it gets full you'll be left with a mix of drunken idiots and people who have no interest in the people who were performing.

The way they did it, much like how they did everything else, was perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Storm, the way it was done ensured that the people that really wanted to see the acts they liked, got to see them. If you just let in everyone til it gets full you'll be left with a mix of drunken idiots and people who have no interest in the people who were performing.

The way they did it, much like how they did everything else, was perfect.

Lots of people at both Bryan Ferry and the Waterboys had little or no interest in watching those performers - an awful lot of chatting went on.

Lots of people who would have really loved to see Bryan Ferry didn't get tickets and wouldn't have realized they could get them when entering the concert.

On the other hand many people got tickets for Bryan Ferry but didn't bother turning up to see him, which was a real shame as he was excellent.

The Waterboys was much busier but again they could have left more people in but for some reason they didn't.

Still really enjoyed the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Did Chris Spedding play his hit song Motor Biking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Nolanger wrote: »
    Did Chris Spedding play his hit song Motor Biking?

Or any Sex Pistols guitar riffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Lots of people at both Bryan Ferry and the Waterboys had little or no interest in watching those performers - an awful lot of chatting went on.

Lots of people who would have really loved to see Bryan Ferry didn't get tickets and wouldn't have realized they could get them when entering the concert.

On the other hand many people got tickets for Bryan Ferry but didn't bother turning up to see him, which was a real shame as he was excellent.

The Waterboys was much busier but again they could have left more people in but for some reason they didn't.

Still really enjoyed the weekend

I agree, loads asking me "are you going to any of the gigs" even though I wouldn't go to see any of those acts if they were outside my front door. The point is, why would I go?

Because it is free? so were the other acts on the street so why choose to see some act and not be interested and take the tickets away from someone who might be bothered.

I've heard so many people say "yeah went in for 30 mins and left" when surely that was unfair on those (few) who might be fans?

Clowns just saying they were at the "gig"

I did hear of people leaving earlier including a neighbour :-/ . I agree that a lot of people were at at were a bit clueless . One chap told me that his girlfriend that was with him didn't know Bryan ferry. A lot of others seemed to be permanently waking sideways to and from the bar in the middle of the big numbers. For some reason the atmosphere was a bit strange because of who got tickets. Still I loved ferry and the waterboys and thought both made a good effort to get the crowd going, even though at times the odds were against them.

Advertisement