Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

God I need help please my sg s2 is doing my head in,am complete beginner.Can someone please tell me very simply how to get mms ,photos are comming in but it says downloading and nothing happens.I am with 3,I hve done the settings right I think.What am I doing wrong.? I have looked up and gooogled and not found the answer.Can anyone here help me at all or point me in the right direction even.
    Thanks in huge anticipation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Cusers worked a treat. For anyone who has the same problem as me in the future or anything...

Download this ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095274, have Samsung Kies installed(just for drivers), and Odin then just flash the rom and boot to clockwork (up vol+home+power) then flash the rom you want from there. :)

Am I missing something here, can you not just flash a rooted kernel from chainfire, without flashing a ROM and have your a rooted stock firmware without having to wipe your device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Guys.

No time to search through the 20 odd pages, am seriously considering picking one of these up from donedeal or adverts.ie, just checking though.

I'm no noob when it comes to flashing ROMs etc (currently on SGS1 Insanity ROM) but just want to be absolutely certain on this.....

Would I be right to assume, if I buy one of these, locked to any network apart from my own, turn it on to download mode, and flash custom ROM via Odin, it should be unlocked?

Better safe than sorry folks....

Ghandee:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Ghandee wrote: »
    Guys.

No time to search through the 20 odd pages, am seriously considering picking one of these up from donedeal or adverts.ie, just checking though.

I'm no noob when it comes to flashing ROMs etc (currently on SGS1 Insanity ROM) but just want to be absolutely certain on this.....

Would I be right to assume, if I buy one of these, locked to any network apart from my own, turn it on to download mode, and flash custom ROM via Odin, it should be unlocked?

Better safe than sorry folks....

Ghandee:pac:

I'm pretty sure it something like a one touch unlock app that does it, Once it's rooted and what not!!

I'm actually selling mine on adverts, if you want to check that out here.

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s2/1125184

It's unlocked, So you need to worry either way.

I only say this because you said you were looking to get one, Mods if this is a no no, I apologize.

Thor wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it something like a one touch unlock app that does it, Once it's rooted and what not!!

I'm actually selling mine on adverts, if you want to check that out here.

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s2/1125184

It's unlocked, So you need to worry either way.

I only say this because you said you were looking to get one, Mods if this is a no no, I apologize.

Thanks for that Thor...

400's a bit steep though (considering there are brand spanking new ones in unopened boxes for 370) on adverts.ie

280, and I might be interested?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

lads, keep the adverts talk to adverts please. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

Very quick question if I may...

I bought an SGS 2 about 2 months ago that I've rooted/unlocked without an issue and am considering flashing a Custom ROM onto now that my bargain Sandisk 16GB Micro-SD card has arrived from Korea today :)

I've previously had a Desire HD and a standard HD but from what I've seen the process is fairly different for the SGS 2? Or am I wrong and it is the same as with the DHD... download the ROM to the SD card, reboot into recovery and flash the zip/radio?

Which ROM is currently considered the "best" - interface is irrelevant as I prefer the Windows 7 front-end I have on it now anyway (though I would like the "advanced power menu" I had on the DHD and nicer status bar icons etc), but things like wifi strength, stability and so on are key - also is there a way to disable the noise cancelling on the microphone?

Cheers for any advice!

Guys, picked up one of these today.

Without trawling through thirty odd pages, what's the general feel of things, which is the most popular ROM I should be thinking of installing?

Previously, was on insanity (liked it)
    Darkys (had its moments)

Hoping some of you guys will inform me of a quick, rock solid, stable ROM to jump right on to.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I highly recommend Villain Rom v3. Very stable and efficient.
    Guys, picked up one of these today.

Without trawling through thirty odd pages, what's the general feel of things, which is the most popular ROM I should be thinking of installing?

Previously, was on insanity (liked it)
    Darkys (had its moments)

Hoping some of you guys will inform me of a quick, rock solid, stable ROM to jump right on to.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Using Checkrom Revolution HD 3.1 at the moment with Siyah kernel, that seems to be the most common set up among 'rom heads' on XDA as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Using Checkrom Revolution HD 3.1 at the moment with Siyah kernel, that seems to be the most common set up among 'rom heads' on XDA as well.

+1 on this great combo rock solid

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

griffdaddy wrote: »

Currently on Checkrom 2.0 myself. Super rom and I can't complain but I downloaded and flashed 3.1 last week but the phone kept saying the android process was force closing. Any ideas what could be up?

Right guys, on check ROM now.

Something i've noticed though, can't seem to instal apk files. After they get downloaded, I click on the apk file. Then gives me an option to save the file again (not actually instal it)
    Anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aidog

i cant get my phone to connect to kies to back up my files before i do anything:o

aidog wrote: »
    i cant get my phone to connect to kies to back up my files before i do anything:o

For this very reason, Kies is probably not the best way to back things up. There are apps that will back up apps + data (Titanium backup) and text messages (sms backup and restore). Photos/music won't be wiped unless you format your internal/external sd card which you shouldn't need to do (i.e. factory reset will not delete media)

After you root, but before you flash a ROM you can backup the entire ROM (nandroid backup) using clockworkmod recovery.

i have managed to back up to kies now..

i cant connect to odin in download mode for some reason!and i can when the phone is on??ah i dont know:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

i have managed to back up to kies now..

i cant connect to odin in download mode for some reason!and i can when the phone is on??ah i dont know:mad:

Try going to settings > applications > Development > Turn on USB debugging

i have done..

i dont know whats going on,and i have the drivers because i have kies,hmmmm

keeps saying usb device not recognized

i have done..

i dont know whats going on,and i have the drivers because i have kies,hmmmm

keeps saying usb device not recognized

Which version of Odin do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

The latest alpha version of Android 4.0.1 for Galaxy S II is here: ICS 4.0.1 Alpha 9.1.1 (this leak keeps getting deleted from XDA forums.)

I wouldn't advise installing it for now, the mic doesn't work during calls yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm using an old version of Lite'ning Rom (v5.0) androd version 2.3.4 baseband KH3 and a hardcore@speedmod something or other kernel.

Finding my battery life dwindling lately and want to try a new rom. I tried a wipe/install of a villain rom last week so backed up using titanium pro and cwm - all seemed to go well except when it was all finished I couldn't find a way to restore my contacts + messages?

When I restored the back up it brought me back to my original litening rom - anyone share the answer to flashing a new rom with wipe but keeping sms and contacts?

im using v 1.85:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Vikings wrote: »
    I'm using an old version of Lite'ning Rom (v5.0) androd version 2.3.4 baseband KH3 and a hardcore@speedmod something or other kernel.

Finding my battery life dwindling lately and want to try a new rom. I tried a wipe/install of a villain rom last week so backed up using titanium pro and cwm - all seemed to go well except when it was all finished I couldn't find a way to restore my contacts + messages?

When I restored the back up it brought me back to my original litening rom - anyone share the answer to flashing a new rom with wipe but keeping sms and contacts?

For backing up messages, I use SMS Backup & Restore. I have my contacts synced with Google so I never have to backup or restore them.

Titanium Backup is very handy for backing up apps and settings.

seems my problem is since i updated to 2.3.4 when i got kies working i cant connect to odin..i even downloaded kies again to see but nothing

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I have Ultra Toxic Rom & Siyah v2.2 installed and I am looking at installing a theme. One of the theme I am looking at is Ice Cream Sandwich 1.5 Domination

On XDA the below is the installation but I don't have an SD card can you just save the files on phone and use a file manager to install? If not what is the way as noobie questions not always answered on XDA.....

Also how do you wipe cache as per below?

- Download the ZIP file from the download section below and DO NOT unzip it
    - Copy the .ZIP file to your INTERNAL SD card
    - Boot your phone into CWM (hold Vol Up, Home & Power Button)
    - Wipe cache
    - Wipe dalvik cache

- Select 'Install ZIP from SD Card'
    - Select 'Choose Zip from SD Card'
    - Then select the .ZIP file you downloaded\
    - Reboot
    - After this you only have to enjoy

Thanks

Anyone know how I find out what my stock kernel should be?

Here's a screen shot of my details.

sc20111128210052.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

I have Ultra Toxic Rom & Siyah v2.2 installed and I am looking at installing a theme. One of the theme I am looking at is Ice Cream Sandwich 1.5 Domination

On XDA the below is the installation but I don't have an SD card can you just save the files on phone and use a file manager to install? If not what is the way as noobie questions not always answered on XDA.....

Also how do you wipe cache as per below?

- Download the ZIP file from the download section below and DO NOT unzip it
    - Copy the .ZIP file to your INTERNAL SD card
    - Boot your phone into CWM (hold Vol Up, Home & Power Button)
    - Wipe cache
    - Wipe dalvik cache

- Select 'Install ZIP from SD Card'
    - Select 'Choose Zip from SD Card'
    - Then select the .ZIP file you downloaded\
    - Reboot
    - After this you only have to enjoy

Thanks

I installed ICS v1.5 today, you wipe dalvik and cache when in recovery mode.. Dalvik is in advanced and cache is just on the first page there..

I installed on checkrom 2.0 and its running perfectly so far anyway..

Anyone know how I find out what my stock kernel should be?

Here's a screen shot of my details.

sc20111128210052.png

Can't tell you exactly because I don't know which network you're on.

seems my problem is since i updated to 2.3.4 when i got kies working i cant connect to odin..i even downloaded kies again to see but nothing

:mad:

Hmm. Have you gone into task manager and killed anything with "kies" in the name before opening up odin? It's not enough to just exit out of the Kies program, you have to actually go and kill all the processes via task manager or else it may odin from accessing the phone. Make sure you end all the kies processes BEFORE opening up odin. If that doesn't work, post here again and we can try something else.

• Advertisement

Someone else answered the rest so I'll just answer this bit. Yes, they mean the internal memory. You don't need an external card to do it. Just copy it to the phone memory and then follow the instructions as you posted them earlier.

Advertisement