Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avon

• 01-07-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

This has been buggin me for awhile, anyone else find the the make in avon a bit of a let down? I used to buy loads of crap to try it out, their eyeshadows. now although their nail polish is quite good i think end up buying the more expensive stuff in town
    any one else or just me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'd have to agree about the makeup. I used to buy from them a few years ago when a friend was a rep. I found the eyeshadow had no staying power at all and it had little enough pigmentation to it. Reminds me somewhat of elf. I've heard good enough reviews about some of their stuff like the eyeliners but still don't know if I'm all that tempted.
    However I do sometimes still get their bath products which I love and I know people who have used their anti ageing stuff and love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Eye shadow was the worst, they look gorge on the model in the photos but when you get it and put it on its like chalk. but for me their shower gel feels very gloopy, maybe its the one i got. a friend in work is a rep, and i used to put in orders for loads of stuff. all of which has been put into the bin or a cubby hole to collect dust. After awhile i realised that if i spent a few extra few euro in town. it last longer.
    i do love their nail polish, but onyly one or two colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Totally agree on the make up. I don't like it at all. It's not particularly cheap and for the quality I really don't think it's worth the price.
    I find the shower gels fine though. I always stock up when they're on offer (my friend is a rep) so maybe you just got a bad one BooBoo.
    Some of the body lotions aren't bad either, and I've gotten some nice bits of jewellery from time to time, but it's a definite no on the make up from me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I ordered some stuff from Avon last week for the first time, I got an eyebrow pencil which is fab and I really like the lip plumper.

The other things I got were some hair products but I haven't tried them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Some of the makeup is woeful, like the glitter eye pencil, its really rough and drags on your eyes..
    The supershock eyeliner tho is a dream to use..
    The colourtrend stuff is cheapo., but Avon is great value for shower gels, shampoos etc.
    The perfume I find too has no staying power, and the prices of the jewellry is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I like certain products from them, all their nail stuff is brilliant :) Their makeup is touch and go though I always buy it when it's marked down to nothing. The Jillian Dempsey line that's came in is fantastic as well as the Solutions skincare range :D

Myself a a friend have been waiting on our last order as the new driver hasn't bothered to deliver it yet :mad: On the plus side it will be free but they may fire that new guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I like certain products from them, all their nail stuff is brilliant :) Their makeup is touch and go though I always buy it when it's marked down to nothing. The Jillian Dempsey line that's came in is fantastic as well as the Solutions skincare range :D

Myself a a friend have been waiting on our last order as the new driver hasn't bothered to deliver it yet :mad: On the plus side it will be free but they may fire that new guy!

Yeah have to agree with you on the nail products, I only use avon for my nails but wouldn't be too crazy on their make-up.

I love the Spa products as well, the cocoa butter is devine!!

oh i love their nail stuff, but make up is shocking. ive been really disapointed, i put in an order last week, but only for the nail polish.
    i bought the super shock liquid eye shadow, to find the colour and water had seperated in the tube.
    i bought a gorge turquoise eye shadow, to find its almost clear when its put on.

on the jellwery though sometimes you get great deals. once i got a rose quartz bead watch for 20euro, and my fav black mother of pearl necklace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Emoi wrote: »
    Yeah have to agree with you on the nail products, I only use avon for my nails but wouldn't be too crazy on their make-up.

I love the Spa products as well, the cocoa butter is devine!!

Ooh! Yes it's so good :D The Skin So Soft products are nice as well they sometimes do the 5 for 5 Euro deal which I always seem to get :)

The last order I put in I got one of the cheap hair yogurts, I can't remember the name but it was amazing, also the hair products are great as well and last ages.

I have to talk to my sister I was thinking of taking over being an Avon rep for her as she doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as she used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I've heard good things about the staying power of their new eye liner. My Mum buys a good bit of avon stuff and I'll try out her bits and pieces when I'm back home.

I really like their very pale bronzer, I used to use it to set my make up as it was the only powder that didn't dry my face. Little light sparkle to it was nice.

Got very excited a year or two ago over a gold shadow pen and blue liquid liner they had on special offer... The ad in the catalogue had the two of them looking highly pigmented to MAC standard...

They arrived anyway and was planning on having lovely glitzy eyes... The gold was flat a yellowy brown colour with no umph and the blue liner looked and applied like extremely watered down poster paint. Had no staying power and could barely get more than a blue watery line out of the applicator.

I robbed an after sun sparkle spray from my Mum before I went on holidays a few years back to as it had a lovely sent to it I presumed it would be lighter than perfume and it wouldn't matter if I lost it.

It attracted every bug in the eastern block to me... I arrived home with big swollen lumpy legs from all the bites and spent most of the holiday smelling of bug spray and savalon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

wild_cat wrote: »

It attracted every bug in the eastern block to me... I arrived home with big swollen lumpy legs from all the bites and spent most of the holiday smelling of bug spray and savalon.

You should have used the skin so soft products, they are famous for keeping away bugs, whatever is in them.

wild_cat wrote: »

I robbed an after sun sparkle spray from my Mum before I went on holidays a few years back to as it had a lovely sent to it I presumed it would be lighter than perfume and it wouldn't matter if I lost it.

aww no thats horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I hate their makeup! The brochures always used to lure me in with the pictures, but in reality the stuff is crap. Saying that, I am a bit gutted that my rep quit because their techniques hair serum was better than John Frieda, and their heat defence hair range is fantastic. I like their bath stuff too, Avon used to be my go-to for stocks of Dewberry scented things in the 90s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Aine5

I order from Avon every few months and I've just received my latest order. One of the ladies at work does it.

Their nail-polish rang is fab - they have a gorgeous summer rang in at the min.

I also got an eye cream and tried it out last night and I have to say I was quite pleased. I usually use one of the bigger brands and I didn't really have much faith in the avon range until I tried it.

I always stock up on hand wash & shower gels every few months as they are gorgeous and really cheap.
    I see others from work ordering shampoo's but I've never tried them.

I ordered my niece a Pineapple watch for her bday next week, its perfect for a 13 year old, but I've never tried any of their jewellery.

I tried their foundation last year and it went straight in the bin. My sister also got a few different eye shadows and she was less than impressed so I wont be ordering any makeup in future, but will defo still use them from time to time for the other little basics and I have to admit I do like the feeling of getting your order - always feels like a little treat even though its just hand wash etc lol:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Now I've realised they've started testing on animals again I'm avoiding them which is a pity as they have some good buys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was disappointed with the lippies never look the colour in the brochure

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Im a rep for them and I have to agree about their eyeshadows, I have all of their quads and I don't find them very good, the colours are simply not pigmented enough. However, that's about the only thing I don't like, the colour trend stuff is geared to teens and is is therefore not great but my daughter who is 14 loves it. Personally, and this is not as a rep but as a customer, their hair products are brilliant, the lotus shield and the dry ends serum are great. My daughter has mad curls and she finds the Frizz Control shampoo brilliant. The Planet Spa range is great as is their foot care range. My favourite make up product is the super shock gel eyeliner, it's lovely and creamy and lasts hours and their lipsticks are really good too. I think if you just steer clear of their eyeshadows, the rest of their products are very good, particularly considering the price x

Advertisement