Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options
  • 01-07-2011 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

From revenue.ie
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/rate-changes-jobs-initiative.html
    Supplies of goods and services at the new 9% rate:

the supply of food and drink (excluding alcohol and soft drinks) in the course of catering or by means of a vending machine (See footnote 1)

hot take-away food and hot drinks

hotel lettings, including guest-houses, caravan parks, camping sites etc
    admissions to cinemas, theatres, certain musical performances, museums, art gallery exhibitions

amusement services of the kind normally supplied in fairgrounds or amusement park services

the provision of facilities for taking part in sporting activities by a person other than a non-profit making organisation

printed matter e.g. newspapers, brochures, leaflets, programmes, maps, catalogues, printed music (excluding books)

hairdressing services

(Note: beauty treatments:- for example, facials, massages, nail treatments, tanning or sunbed services etc., remain liable at the 13.5% rate).

I imagine the main areas of interest will be hot take-away food, hotels, guest houses, haircuts, cinema tickets and concerts (though that area seems a bit vague).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

really stupid question, by services do they mean elec and phone as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Was wondering if we would get a thread on this. I was at the cinema last night and am going again on Sunday - interesting to see if the prices will be reduced. So what happens if its not??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

nothing happens if its not cheaper .... the government have "Asked" businesses to pass on the VAT decrease they have not said its now law.

Businesses are still willing and able to charge whatever people will pay - if you find a cheaper cinema elsewhere...go there ...and maybe the cinema you are currently going to will eventually drop their prices....only way to get businesses to drop their prices is to refuse to go there and risk having them run out of business.

at the end of the day every business knows that if they lessen their margin of profit there is a chance of getting more customers and actually increased profit overall (does not work all the time however and some shops goto the wall with higher debts despite dropping their prices)

but vat is paid to government anyway is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They must pass on the VAT changes, however, they may increase their base cost (ex vat) to bring it back to the same price.

There should be a price reduction, but many places will still charge the same final amount.

Name and shame is right.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    They must pass on the VAT changes, however, they may increase their base cost (ex vat) to bring it back to the same price.

There should be a price reduction, but many places will still charge the same final amount.

Name and shame is right.
    wouldnt surprise me :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Irish Times is reporting that they are not obliged to pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Insomnia in Spar Grand Canal Harbour. Yesterday an Americano was €2.35, and today an Americano is €2.35

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Daily Mirror is down from €1 to 95c
    Herald is down from €1.20 to €1

Cabaal wrote: »
    The Irish Times is reporting that they are not obliged to pass it on

According to the Independent, they must.

People should check their receipts and query if there is no reduction in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Was in a branch off BB's this morning. I enquired about the VAT reduction and was told "we were going to increase the price this week but have decided not to because of the reduction in VAT". Rip off Ireland goes from strength to strength.

lasno wrote: »
    Was in a branch off BB's this morning. I enquired about the VAT reduction and was told "we were going to increase the price this week but have decided not to because of the reduction in VAT". Rip off Ireland goes from strength to strength.

if you feel you are being ripped off in bbs not do buy your coffee there, theres loads more places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect there will be a lot of sudden cost increases that happen to magically cancel out the 4% difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

lasno wrote: »

I hope you tell them "thats ok" - you'll go somewhere where the VAT reduction is passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

According to the Independent, they must.

People should check their receipts and query if there is no reduction in price.

I fully agree that the prices should go down BUT the indo is wrong. Its a free market and the shops can do what they like. (bad move though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just to balance it out..

Peter Mark hairdressers have been advertising the VAT reduction for a couple of weeks now, saying they were implementing ahead of time and also running a promo this week for 20% off all hairdressing plus the VAT reduction.

http://www.petermark.ie/

I haven't got my hair cut there for a couple of years, anybody know the current price? It used to start at about €40 ish for a ladies cut and blow dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Im sure if VAT went up most places would have it factored in before opening their doors again. Its just sad really.

Was at cinema last night. €10.90 per ticket then and same now in Movies at Swords.

I fully agree that the prices should go down BUT the indo is wrong. Its a free market and the shops can do what they like. (bad move though)

Well, yes and no.

Yes, it's a free market, and they can charge what they like, but the VAT rate has reduced.

eg -

burger (in chipper) Net Price - €5 (€4.43 + 13% VAT)
    Today Burger net price if kept the same - €5 (€4.59 + 9% VAT)
    If they kept price the same - the net price to the customer, at 9% would be €4.83.

In this case, the cost to the consumer has not decreased, but the vat rate has. In effect, the store has increased their price on the item.

None of this is illegal. But, the retailer must only make returns to the Revenue based on the vat rate (9%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Well, yes and no.

Yes, it's a free market, and they can charge what they like, but the VAT rate has reduced.

eg -

burger (in chipper) Net Price - €5 (€4.43 + 13% VAT)
    Today Burger net price if kept the same - €5 (€4.59 + 9% VAT)
    If they kept price the same - the net price to the customer, at 9% would be €4.83.

In this case, the cost to the consumer has not decreased, but the vat rate has. In effect, the store has increased their price on the item.

None of this is illegal. But, the retailer must only make returns to the Revenue based on the vat rate (9%).

Yep, the shop now returns the 9% to revenue, but has no legal obligation to lower its prices. However, they would be crackers not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

They will be charging 9% VAT now (instead of 13.5%), but they might not pass the reduction on.
    To use numbers - some good/service that cost €10 yesterday consisted of €8.81 revenue to the shop and €1.19 VAT. Today, something that costs €10 is now made up of €9.17 revenue and €0.83 VAT, a difference of €0.36 extra revenue to the shop. I'm guessing that the folks in the retail trade would say that they've had to cut their prices so much in the last few years, that they will not be passing on the reduction.

For a €2 cup of coffee, I wouldn't be too bothered about the 7 cents that in theory I'd be entitled to, but I definitely would be looking for the €360 reduction if I'm spending 10k on a wedding.

That said, if someone has paid a deposit on a wedding before now, how can that have a VAT element (the good / service hasn't been delivered yet - it's just a deposit against the final bill due). When paying the final bill for the wedding etc, the new VAT rate should be applied against the total bill and any previous deposits paid should be netted off against the new total (at the lower rate). That's my layman's view of it, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Just remember that there are many products that have no change in the vat rate and many that have a zero rate. - Fo cafes & sandwich bars it is a mine field - so before anyone starts accusing places of not passing on reductions read the following from Revenue.ie

"The supply of certain items of food and drink to take away is liable to VAT at zero per cent. These include cold food such as sandwiches and yoghurts, and milk and certain milk based drinks. Where these items of food and drink are sold to 'eat in' in a coffee shop or snack bar, they become liable to VAT at the reduced rate. Hot food is also liable to VAT at the reduced rate, as are tea, coffee, and bakery products such as cakes and non-chocolate biscuits, whether sold to eat in or take out. Other beverages, confectionary and savoury snacks are generally liable to VAT at the standard rate"

so your standard takeaway sandwich won't change, your heated sandwich will change, your sit-down sandwich will change, your coke won't, neither will your crisps, milk or yogurt. :D:D who wants to be a sandwich bar owner today with the usual moaners out there??:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Munchies in East Point, Movies @ Dundrum and Butlers Choc Cafe have not reduced their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

got the haircut this morning, Lithuanian girl didn't charge me any less than before as the cash disappeared into her arse pocket.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

After the newspaper reports about hotels in Waterford tripling their price for the Tall Ships, it'll be interesting to see will their prices drop to reflect the VAT change.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

maxer68 wrote: »
    Just remember that there are many products that have no change in the vat rate and many that have a zero rate. - Fo cafes & sandwich bars it is a mine field - so before anyone starts accusing places of not passing on reductions read the following from Revenue.ie

"The supply of certain items of food and drink to take away is liable to VAT at zero per cent. These include cold food such as sandwiches and yoghurts, and milk and certain milk based drinks. Where these items of food and drink are sold to 'eat in' in a coffee shop or snack bar, they become liable to VAT at the reduced rate. Hot food is also liable to VAT at the reduced rate, as are tea, coffee, and bakery products such as cakes and non-chocolate biscuits, whether sold to eat in or take out. Other beverages, confectionary and savoury snacks are generally liable to VAT at the standard rate"

so your standard takeaway sandwich won't change, your heated sandwich will change, your sit-down sandwich will change, your coke won't, neither will your crisps, milk or yogurt. :D:D who wants to be a sandwich bar owner today with the usual moaners out there??:D

I agree to a point. But you know that if the VAT rates were going up on specific goods/services, the owners wouldnt take the hit and would of done their homework to make sure that the consumer pays its dues and the owner doesnt take the hit.

Motivation of the pocket is what drives efficiency! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Be interesting to see if the multiples lower prices of magazines etc.
    Bought a magazine week before last, ill compare against the next months issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

After the newspaper reports about hotels in Waterford tripling their price for the Tall Ships, it'll be interesting to see will their prices drop to reflect the VAT change.

I know of one hotel group in waterford that are not reducing, the group decided not to pass on this saving to help save jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

KFC's receipt today shows the vat been charged at 15% :eek:

€7.99 inc 15% vat = €1.04

Advertisement