Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

oirish daily mail.. price yesterday 1euro.. price today 50cent but price tomorrow 1.20.. no change.. so a nice profit on all those 50000 papers they sell each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

KFC's receipt today shows the vat been charged at 15% :eek:

€7.99 inc 15% vat = €1.04

This is a combination vat rate and is used for "meal deals"

The hot food portion is 13.5% and the drink portion is 21%

Overall, they would ahve come to agreement with revenue that 15% of the net price is a fair attributation to vat for the combined meal.

That should now drop to about 12.5% (9% food & still 21% drink) if they abide by the spirit of the vat reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

UCI cimema still chargeing €9.80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

irish independent... retail price now 1.85.. should be 1.83... if you calculate it out it means that independent newspapers will make an extra 830,000euro in profit by not passing on the extra 2 cent over a full year excluding the sunday independent edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

TheDriver wrote: »
    got the haircut this morning, Lithuanian girl didn't charge me any less than before as the cash disappeared into her arse pocket.....

What has nationality got to do with businesses not passing on the VAT reduction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

Lunch time special and normal prices remain the same

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I thought the all purpose of the VAT reduction was to encourage consumers' spending? If the consumer doesn't see any reduction in the prices, the companies might make more money to help them stay afloat, but in the long run, they will not benefit from more custom, so it's their loss, really

Why is the VAT different on food and beverage when you eat a hot meal or a cold sandwich? It sounds very complicated, what drives it?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

if the vat is printed separately on the bill at the incorrect rate then would this not break some law. otherwise we can all start making up our own vat rate or charge vat on vat free products and pocket the money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Nanazolie wrote: »
    I thought the all purpose of the VAT reduction was to encourage consumers' spending?

It was part of the recent "jobs budget". I guess the logic somewhere was that if a company gets more revenue from the same products, then it can retain or perhaps increase its staff numbers. The reality is that folks just want to pay less for their services (which is totally reasonable) so that there is more in their pocket (to perhaps spend on other services that they mightn't have otherwise).

I'm getting the distinct image of deckchairs being re-arranged on the Titanic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

A high rate of tax charged on the whole cost of a chocky biccky when a lower rate is charged on a plain biccky.
    Surely the higher rate should only be paid on the chocky content which in realitiy is only about 20% by weight?
    Now thats a rip off
    And i ain't naming the shop:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

jett wrote: »
    A high rate of tax charged on the whole cost of a chocky biccky when a lower rate is charged on a plain biccky.
    Surely the higher rate should only be paid on the chocky content which in realitiy is only about 20% by weight?
    Now thats a rip off
    And i ain't naming the shop:D

By adding chocky, it is now deemed a "luxury":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Dovies wrote: »
    Was wondering if we would get a thread on this. I was at the cinema last night and am going again on Sunday - interesting to see if the prices will be reduced. So what happens if its not??
    Nothing.Its up to the company to drop their prices accordingly.They dont HAVE to, so they probably wont. Or might drop it by say 5 cent or something;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Great quote here which explains some of the questions about why some things are some rates and other things are others:

In a gem of a judicial comment on the alleged simplicity of the modern
    VAT system, Lord Justice Sedley sardonically remarked: “Beyond the
    everyday world … lies the world of VAT, a kind of fiscal theme park in which
    factual and legal realities are suspended or inverted. In this complex parallel
    universe …relatively uncomplicated solutions are a snare and a delusion

A lot of it is driven by EU Law. An EU directive sets the parameters for the VAT system throughout the Union. Member States can tweak their national system only within those parameters. That's complicated further by a lot of countries having various derogations from the standard rules which were effectively "grandfathered" in.

harr wrote: »
    UCI cimema still chargeing €9.80
    Exactly. The saving wont be passed on to the consumer.The retailer will pocket the saving. Sad, but true.Theres no law forcing them to pass on the saving so basically the whole thing is a big waste of time.

Yakuza wrote: »
    In the same way a steering wheel is a luxury on a car.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Toilet paper a also deemed as a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

McDonalds charged me 9% on 25% of the bill and 21% on the remainder.

Receipt to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭gipi

Stopped into my local chipper on the way home for my usual order....and paid the usual price, nothing has been changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'll try list the papers i remember from work.

Irish Indo - 1.90 to 1.85
    Irish times - 1.90 to 1.85
    Sun - 1.00 to .95
    Irish Daily mail - 1(I think) to .50
    Mirror 1 - to .95

I can't remember all the prices, but most papers have gone down, one or two haven't changed. All Magazines have dropped, well the ones that have an English price on them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 fds

IMC cinemas in Dun Laoghaire have brought down all of their prices today. They were on around .40c - .90c more yesterday

http://www.imccinemas.ie/cinema_info.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

Beer Baron wrote: »
    McDonalds charged me 9% on 25% of the bill and 21% on the remainder.

Receipt to prove it.

Interesting. Dont be too quick to judge as different vat rates apply to different products

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well my mum was in a hair salon yesterday - still charging the same price. My granny (who is 87) pointed out the new vat rate and they claimed to know nothing about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Remember if going out to eat and there is a service charge, you pay VAT on it.
    So service charges should decrease.

Or better still if you want to tip, tell them to remove the service charge and tip the waiter yourself. At least there is no VAT taken from it that way.

If you are too shy to tell them to remove the service charge, then boycott all places that charge a service charge. Tipping should be earned not just taken from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

TheDriver wrote: »
    got the haircut this morning, Lithuanian girl didn't charge me any less than before as the cash disappeared into her arse pocket.....
    Just in case..not every small business is registered for VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

The shop I work in, and by no means are we a large shop group, but once you scan a chocolate biscuit to add it to the system it automatically registers it at 21% vat. Similarly with a plain biscuit it shows up on the system at 13.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Interesting. Dont be too quick to judge as different vat rates apply to different products

Soft Drinks/Desserts would be charged at the higher rate afaik!
    I'm open to correction on this as i'm not 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Soft Drinks/Desserts would be charged at the higher rate afaik!
    I'm open to correction on this as i'm not 100%!

soft drinks 21%
    milkshakes 0%
    yogurts 0%
    coffee 9% (down from 13%)
    deserts 21% or 13.5% depending on what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Hot sandwich @ 13.5 %
    cold sandwich @ 21%
    hot drink @ 13.5%
    mineral @ 21%

all the above changes if they are eat in or take away, all above changes depending on who you get taking to in the tax office and which region you are in.

Not always the retailers fault, its a legal minefield out there.

Bread we bake ourselves is at 13.5% yet bread we buy in is a zero.

on a sunday i have to pay someone who works in the off licence €12.44 per hr yet the off licence up the road only has to pay €8.65.

Bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just in case..not every small business is registered for VAT.

Being registered for VAT is irrelevant to the case.

Registration just means your turnover is over a certai amount and you can claim back vat.

Non registered businesses cant claim it back but should charge at the appropriate rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Butlers coffee shops still charging the same prices :rolleyes:

When I mentioned it to the girl behind the counter when I was paying she didnt have a clue what I was on about.

They should be wearing balaclavas!

Also went for a bite to eat after work on fri night in a bar just off grafton st and they were still charging the same prices, the bar was Sheehans.

Can the revenue / ODCA prosecute? Doubt it, they would be inundated already FFS

Advertisement