Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Shelflife wrote: »
    Hot sandwich @ 13.5 %
    cold sandwich @ 21%
    hot drink @ 13.5%
    mineral @ 21%

is it not Cold Sandwich for takeaway - 0%
    Cold sandwich for eat in 13.5% (now 9%)
    hot drink eat in or take away 13.5% (now 9%)
    mineral 21%
    Milk or milkshake 0%, but possibly 9% if eat in.
    cookie - 9% or still 13.5%?
    chocolate muffin 21%
    apple tart 9% or is it still 13.5%?
    crisps 21%

OUCH

Thankfully in my business I have just 2 rates 0% & 21% and the difference between 0% product & 21% product is very noticeable, so no confusion arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Being registered for VAT is irrelevant to the case.

Registration just means your turnover is over a certai amount and you can claim back vat.

Non registered businesses cant claim it back but should charge at the appropriate rate.

Non registered businesses cannot charge vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 James A Smith

Daily mail has not reduced its price. It is keeping it for themselves as a 4.5% increase. Do as I did and don't buy the paper any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 James A Smith

Just to name and shame the folllowing

Gorey Cinema have kept the 4.5% decrease for them selves. I suggest as a mark of protest that customers buy no food in the cinema.

The Irish Daily mail have decided to keep the 4.5% for themselves as a pay rise. I suggest do like me and don't purchase the paper any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭neutron

The Kylemore across from the Spire in Dublin's O'Connell St has NOT! passed on the VAT reduction:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

No price reduction at:

Campo de' Fiori (Bray) :mad:
    Roly's Cafe (Ballsbridge, Dublin) :mad:

Those that have passed on the reduction include:

Renvyle Hotel in Connemara :)
    KC Peaches on Pearse St. :)
    Cafe Fresh in Dublin. :)
    L'Arco Italian Restaurant in Ballyvaughan :)
    Aqua Restaurant in Howth :)
    Pichet, Dublin :)
    The Port House, Dublin :)
    according to https://www.facebook.com/pages/CheapEatsie/92828044273

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Feedback from Insomnia Coffee, they won't be passing on the VAT cut. I might have to vote with my feet on this one.

Insomnia Coffee Company -

Thank you for your query regarding the VAT decrease. Insomnia has been absorbing both commodity and general price increases across most categories for the past 4 years and we were scheduled to increase prices this summer because we can no longer absorb all of the increasing costs. However, the VAT reduction has allowed us to hold off on a price increase for now. While the VAT reduction doesn’t offset all of the increasing costs we face, we have decided to continue to absorb these costs for as long as we can, so that we can defer future price increases. The management team at Insomnia greatly appreciates the loyalty of our customers and commits to continuing to do our best to offer quality products and services at affordable prices, and with this in mind we will continue to review our pricing.

The Irish Daily mail have decided to keep the 4.5% for themselves as a pay rise. I suggest do like me and don't purchase the paper any more.

Would never buy that rag anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

bren2002 wrote: »
    Feedback from Insomnia Coffee, they won't be passing on the VAT cut. I might have to vote with my feet on this one.

Insomnia Coffee Company -

Thank you for your query regarding the VAT decrease. Insomnia has been absorbing both commodity and general price increases across most categories for the past 4 years and we were scheduled to increase prices this summer because we can no longer absorb all of the increasing costs. However, the VAT reduction has allowed us to hold off on a price increase for now. While the VAT reduction doesn’t offset all of the increasing costs we face, we have decided to continue to absorb these costs for as long as we can, so that we can defer future price increases. The management team at Insomnia greatly appreciates the loyalty of our customers and commits to continuing to do our best to offer quality products and services at affordable prices, and with this in mind we will continue to review our pricing.

"I think I smell something, it's, it's, . . . . ahh yes, it's BULLSH1t!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

A few i noticed over the weekend...(Apologies if already mentioned..)

The good!!
    Little ass burrito, Rathmines
    Rolys Bistro, Ballsbridge (Menu outside is old but they had a new one inside advertising reduction..)

The Bad..
    Burritos and Blues, Lower St Stephen street.. No change(on friday evening)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

So far, only McDonalds and Tesco (on magazines) have reduced their prices in my area. Sadly, this is not surprising.

EuroSpar's café (ex Fresh) in Northern Cross have actually increased the price of their meal deal from 4.99 to 5.19. Not sure whether this is a strategy, they might "reduce" their price again to 4.99 and make a big noise about it to look like they are passing on the VAT cut to their customers. I won't know, for I won't go back there. In trying to gain 20 cents, they lost 4.99 euros. If only all customers did that, the businesses would soon cope

Rolys Bistro, Ballsbridge (Menu outside is old but they had a new one inside advertising reduction..)

I got no reduction in Roly's Cafe on friday night, maybe they're just slow off the mark (it's not like the change wasn't flagged in advance!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WBKAKE

As a small cafe owner I have had to absorb substantial increases in the price of dairy, bread and poultry over the last 6 months, also gas price increases. I did not pass on any of these increases to my customers, therefore I will not be passing on the VAT decrease. Fair is fair. Business owners are actually entitled to try to earn a living too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

mambo wrote: »
    I got no reduction in Roly's Cafe on friday night, maybe they're just slow off the mark (it's not like the change wasn't flagged in advance!)

Was in the Restaurant last night..(wasn't paying thankfully!!) They just had a new printed menu stapled over the old menu.. Your right.. not exactly quick off the mark!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticthor

WBKAKE wrote: »
    As a small cafe owner I have had to absorb substantial increases in the price of dairy, bread and poultry over the last 6 months, also gas price increases. I did not pass on any of these increases to my customers, therefore I will not be passing on the VAT decrease. Fair is fair. Business owners are actually entitled to try to earn a living too.

yes you are but your customers are suffering from falling wages and increases elsewhere. Its a cutthroat world but the VAT decrease is there to help people shop and encourage tourists to come to this rip off republic. You dont seem to be getting the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

your choice, but as you have seen here people will vote with their feet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Arent there blanket caps on the prices of certain types of product in Italy (coffee or tea I think) why not do that here for the basics?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

True, and to be fair I wouldn't like to be in your shoes right now. But your customers also had to take the hit of wages cuts, higher mortgage rates, and rise in the cost of life in general. So you might find that you'll lose a few customers to the other places who can pass the rate cut on to their customers. Also, despite "the fastest decrease in prices in the EU", we are still the most expensive country in Europe, and that prices are not going down despite the government's push in that direction will not help.
    I guess it's hard for you to find a balance, but in the long term, I am not sure this will be sustainable to keep the prices high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Which small cafe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Nanazolie wrote: »
    True, and to be fair I wouldn't like to be in your shoes right now. But your customers also had to take the hit of wages cuts, higher mortgage rates, and rise in the cost of life in general. So you might find that you'll lose a few customers to the other places who can pass the rate cut on to their customers. Also, despite "the fastest decrease in prices in the EU", we are still the most expensive country in Europe, and that prices are not going down despite the government's push in that direction will not help.
    I guess it's hard for you to find a balance, but in the long term, I am not sure this will be sustainable to keep the prices high

Just slightly off topic - there are plenty of businesses that are reasonable, value for money outlets. (my local independent coffee shop springs to mind) that may not implement the vat reduction in their prices. I can get a cup large of coffee and a muffin for €3.50 in my local and it hasn't changed.

There are also plenty of large established chains with higher prices that have more than likely implemented the cut but the prices are still far higher than my local independent cafe, so guess where my money will be going?

I think people need to get a bit of perspective and know the prices across the board before completely dismissing purchasing in "named and shamed" outlets. You never know, it might save you money in the long run. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well you`re effectiviely increasing your prices then.

Perhaps you should let your customers know.

I have sympathy with your predicament to a point but its up to you to either negotiate prices with your suppliers or pass them on to customers or not.

Hiding price increases behind vat decreases isnt the way to go.

My prices are very fair and if I was to pass on increases I had to take then it would be considerably more that 4.5% but I suppose theres always people who want something for nothing and make remarks without actually thinking about it too much....tunnel vision perhaps??

If you charge, say, €10 for something, why not make the reduction now to €9.60 and heavily promote that you are passing on the reduction, and that may get your more business.

The VAT reduction will "mess up" your prices in the sense that what was a nice round figure, is now less rounded.

So at some stage in the near future you will probably "rejig" your prices to get them back to more sensible rounded figures, e.g. round some up, where your costs are expensive, and round some down, where input costs may have fallen, or not risen so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

My prices are very fair and if I was to pass on increases I had to take then it would be considerably more that 4.5% but I suppose theres always people who want something for nothing and make remarks without actually thinking about it too much....tunnel vision perhaps??

I am self employed ( using Your headline for Your previous message), and I have suffered so much to the extent I owe the &*()^%$ taxman 8.5 G's. So please don't pull this crap here. I am in the situation where, I can either just try and plug on, or sit on my butt at home, and wait for the bank to (eventually) seize my home. You have 4.5% more since midnight last Thursday as You only have to submit 9% now instead of 13.5% in VAT returns. So, the other 4.5% goes into YOUR pocket?

I dare You to name the shop?

Sh1t, people like You make my blood boil

Yes it will go in my pocket and straight back out again, like the most of my takings....Maybe you should direct your anger towards the people who put you in your situation, that maybe of more benefit to you than directing it at me don't you think??
    And daring me to name the shop, what age are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭toby08

hey guys just a little rant, ive been in a few places around the country and many resturants/pubs have signs reflecting the recent vat changes... this in these times has to be welcomed. however in a well known spot in laois over the weekend i noticed that this was not the case, i asked about it and the reply i got was "dont be silly sure theres a fleadh on next weekend and you dont think the boss will drop prices before that" I think that is the exact attitude which has us in this mess grab! grab! it is so familiar when house grants came in the prices went up surely there should be a control of some sort ??? may be we should have a shame list

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

If you're unwilling to name your shop, I think your acknowledging that your doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭toby08

just had a few calls going to do a survey around laois and maybe facebook it for the fleadh next weekend it may even sting some of the money grabbers !!!!!!!! people may avoid them .............

I am not doing anything wrong, trying to earn a living, to pay my staff, supplers, council tax, rent, tax, prsi, VAT and lastly myself (if there is anything left) and often there is not. I do not feel the need to justify my wanting to get paid for the work I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Tippex wrote: »
    Daily Mirror is down from €1 to 95c
    Herald is down from €1.20 to €1

Every paper seems to making point of having their price reduced,which is what you expect from the press

Ive just been to the local chipper and there is an off licence next door both had no reduction in prices

Advertisement