Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

What has nationality got to do with businesses not passing on the VAT reduction?

Agree find his comment offence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Fresh in Grand Canal Harbour have not reduced the price if a takeaway coffee. Was and still is €2.35 #fail #VATwatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 celticthor

WBKAKE wrote: »
    My prices are very fair and if I was to pass on increases I had to take then it would be considerably more that 4.5% but I suppose theres always people who want something for nothing and make remarks without actually thinking about it too much....tunnel vision perhaps??

Something for nothing????? Eh no, people are looking for good value and not to be ripped off by a wannabe JR. lets be honest all you care about is money, and as such you just wanna get as much off people as you can get away with. The point of this forum is to point out those who are ripping off the public. As for tunnel vision...... really just remember how much you love srewing people out of money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

The Great Wall Chinese in Ballincollig did not pass on the VAT reduction when I eat there Friday.

My prices are very fair and if I was to pass on increases I had to take then it would be considerably more that 4.5% but I suppose theres always people who want something for nothing and make remarks without actually thinking about it too much....tunnel vision perhaps??

Something for nothing?

0.6% of my pension is paying for this VAT cut. I'm already paying for it, and now you want my pension to subsidise your business. Sorry, but that's not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

It's like asking people on Social Welfare to give €6 or €7 of their dole money back or for tax-payers to pay more tax to the Revenue, i'ts not going to happen, greed is alive and well in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A mate of mine, his sis works in Butlers Cafe and basically they have been told no chance that they will be dropping their prices, why?Because they dont have to! Such attitudes towards consumers makes me sick.

The govt rogered my pension fund to pay for what exactly? To give Butlers and numerous other businesses an extra 4.5% on every transaction? Outrageous.

I'll be writing a strongly worded letter to my local TD...that'll work:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Yes it will go in my pocket and straight back out again, like the most of my takings....Maybe you should direct your anger towards the people who put you in your situation, that maybe of more benefit to you than directing it at me don't you think??
    And daring me to name the shop, what age are you?

I don't know just what the hell you are. You make 4 posts and all on this topic. Perhaps you are a windup merchant, or perhaps a total gobsh1te. I do know one thing, you are every f1cking thing thats wrong with this country.

If you feel you are right to retain your prices, what have you got to hide by not naming your shop???

Don't know if you listened to Jo Duffy today, but there is one brand of coffee shop i know I will NEVER EVER cross their doors again. Again I challenge you, name your shop & see what the average guy in the street thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I don't know just what the hell you are. You make 4 posts and all on this topic. Perhaps you are a windup merchant, or perhaps a total gobsh1te. I do know one thing, you are every f1cking thing thats wrong with this country.

If you feel you are right to retain your prices, what have you got to hide by not naming your shop???

Don't know if you listened to Jo Duffy today, but there is one brand of coffee shop i know I will NEVER EVER cross their doors again. Again I challenge you, name your shop & see what the average guy in the street thinks.
    Was it Butlers? It is the name and shame thread after all..........

toby08 wrote: »
    just had a few calls going to do a survey around laois and maybe facebook it for the fleadh next weekend it may even sting some of the money grabbers !!!!!!!! people may avoid them .............

I have every intention of heading down to Port for the Fleadh. Sure would appreciate the link to the above FB page, so I know I am supporting someone who has more than money on their brain

Sizzler wrote: »
    Was it Butlers? It is the name and shame thread after all..........

There were actually two name: Insomnia & Costa Coffee.

http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2011/pc/pod-v-04071123m12slivelinevat-pid0-1392600.mp3

Listening to the podcast, lots of names mentioned. Costa Coffee and Insomnia are among the ones being named. Statement from Insomnia, prices remaining constant to cover costs.

Starbucks passing on the VAT cut.

Everyone with a Twitter account please send a message to Bobby Kerr the Insomnia boss complaining about the VAT cut not being passed on @bobbykerr

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭anto2009

bren2002 wrote: »
    Feedback from Insomnia Coffee, they won't be passing on the VAT cut. I might have to vote with my feet on this one.

Insomnia Coffee Company -

Thank you for your query regarding the VAT decrease. Insomnia has been absorbing both commodity and general price increases across most categories for the past 4 years and we were scheduled to increase prices this summer because we can no longer absorb all of the increasing costs. However, the VAT reduction has allowed us to hold off on a price increase for now. While the VAT reduction doesn’t offset all of the increasing costs we face, we have decided to continue to absorb these costs for as long as we can, so that we can defer future price increases. The management team at Insomnia greatly appreciates the loyalty of our customers and commits to continuing to do our best to offer quality products and services at affordable prices, and with this in mind we will continue to review our pricing.

Insomnia coffee is not nice wouldn't buy it ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Le_Dieux wrote: »

My guess is that its a regular poster who created a new account when this topic came up. If they where so confident in the value for money they provided, Im sure they'd have no problem naming their shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Morgans

I am not doing anything wrong, trying to earn a living, to pay my staff, supplers, council tax, rent, tax, prsi, VAT and lastly myself (if there is anything left) and often there is not. I do not feel the need to justify my wanting to get paid for the work I do.

I think anyone who doesnt understand the difference between VAT and the cost to the customer will struggle in business. The VAT reduction shouldnt be viewed as a bonus to the service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I do understand that small businesses have to make a living however if the vat had been increased they would have been increasing their prices a hell of a lot quicker.

Dovies wrote: »
    I do understand that small businesses have to make a living however if the vat had been increased they would have been increasing their prices a hell of a lot quicker.

I'm sorry I don't follow. Are you saying 2 wrongs make a right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

No of course not. But there are a couple of posters saying that they havent passed on the vat decrease as they are small businesses and rents etc are high so they have to make a living somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Surely, it simply comes down, for most businesses to this:

Will we gain significant trade by passing on the rate cut?
    Will we lose significant trade by keeping it?

A clear 'business' decision being made.

Couple this with the apathy prevalent within the nature of this nation; the disinclination to complain, to shop around, and to, on the whole, suck it up and get on with things.

My guess is they decided there would be little change in trade and thus took the VAT cut themselves :(.

I'm sure margins are being squeezed by everything. Some businesses are struggling to keep afloat and I'm sure, this is, in some cases a lifeline.

BUT WHAT IS MISSING from this, in my view, short sighted 'bird in the hand' decision by businesses is the following:

1. It is TAX Payers money these people are taking for themselves.
    Taking it in this manner WILL have an impact both on their business and the wider inclination to spend (thus prolonging the recession and perhaps forcing said companies out of business).

2. This stimulus was designed to encourage trade. A little forethought, a little pretending at least, to give a sh1t about their customers could yield benefits.

But, as I said in another thread. Its clear the people who give life to these companies through purchasing are NOT valued. However, this has been the case for some considerable time.

On a personal note, I no longer eat out (bag o' chips or the odd take away notwithstanding),or drink very much if I can avoid it.

I save all my spare beans and go to Europe / UK where I KNOW I can get value. I buy my cars from the UK, even tho the VRT costs me a wee bit more. I buy online wherever possible. I buy my food in Tesco's or Lidl, thus ensuring the cheapest value I can possibly get (and yes, taking my retail business out of Ireland).

In short, I treat all shopping / retail here as a convenience store. Only purchase what is absolutely necessary here, as, to be honest, to me, its clear retailers have been gouging the crap out of me for a long time, this VAT rob just proves it one more time.

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

It's like asking people on Social Welfare to give €6 or €7 of their dole money back or for tax-payers to pay more tax to the Revenue, i'ts not going to happen, greed is alive and well in Ireland.

Is it not already the case? What about the USC and the "temporary" 2% that were added in 2009?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Some brief points:

Businesses and their owners are taxpayers too. In fact, they pay more tax across more taxheads than any of the downtrodden PAYE archetypes repeatedly mentioned here.

It's very likely that many companies will be net losers because of this reduction. Because they can reclaim VAT on goods used in the course of their business, a change in the rate is cost neutral. However, because other companies are choosing to raise their base price so that to the end-consumer it appears there is no change, this cost will rise, with no VAT reduction to offset it.

Nobody will be 'pocketing' 4.5%. This is a reduction from 113.5% to 109%-the decrease in price is less than 4%. If the business owner manages to add all of this to his gross profit and pay it to himself as a wage it will be a lot less than 2% by the time income tax and charges are taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

BUT WHAT IS MISSING from this, in my view, short sighted 'bird in the hand' decision by businesses is the following:

fatboypee you complain that businesses are taking a short sighted view , but then go on to state that this is what you do yourself by shopping outside the state and supporting non irisg companies who repatriate their profits (why you think tesco is cheap is beyond me).

so you are happy to do exactly what you are complaining that the businesses are doing.

pot calling kettle black i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Was in Joels on the Naas road, they've reduced their prices in line with the vat reduction.

The local chinese hadn't on Sunday - I know which one i'll be choosing next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

McDonalds press release
    How does the VAT change affect you at McDonald’s?
    Many of our menu items including sandwiches and fries are affected but our drinks and bakery items are not affected as a higher rate of VAT of 21% applies to these items and this rate is not being lowered by the Government.

How will you see these changes reflected in our pricing?
    We are changing the following prices:

Extra Value Meals have been reduced by 25c
    Happy Meals have been reduced by 20c
    A la Carte sandwiches (except Eurosaver) have been reduced by 10c
    Wraps and Salads have been reduced by 10c
    Many McCafé items have been reduced by 10c
    Most breakfast items have been reduced by 10c

If you have any queries regarding our pricing changes, please contact us by email info@mcdonalds.ie or by phone at 01-2080020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Is it not already the case? What about the USC and the "temporary" 2% that were added in 2009?
    We do'nt have a choice to pay the USC, Business's have that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Shelflife wrote: »

pot calling kettle black i think.....

Do you really think so ?

Can you possibly explain "HOW" trying to ensure I actually get value for money is taking a short sighted view ? I could provide you with a list ad-nauseum of attempts I have made in the past to source something from Irish suppliers only to be told (quite literally on occasion) to "F-OFF" and get it elsewhere if I don't like the price :confused: Should I, in your view, simply have purchased from said supplier and gone "ah, shure, they're doing their level best to bring me value for my money, the poor craters..." as the longer view would be to buy locally and if more people did so, the price would come down ? Ah, yes, theres a point, I'm quite sure we would have a competitive market place in no time at all. Great logic that...

I can however assure you I would PREFER to buy locally, if not, then nationally, yet, over time I've become depressed that, as a customer of such companies I have not received the service, or value that I can find elsewhere.

To the point of the short-sighted view adopted by the businesses themselves,
    I hardly find myself in the same position. I am a consumer. They are service providers. The sad reality remains however, that I do not feel they are interested in my custom. I find this almost everywhere I go. The take it, or leave it attitude I find tough to ignore, thus I invariably leave it.

WRT Tesco's being cheapest, on the whole there are two reasons I shop there:

1. Choice (such credible alternatives as Dunnes you may suggest? For what exactly ? My staple shop is a tad more varied than Spuds and Cabbage I'm afraid :rolleyes:)
    2. YES, Price. Not cheap at all but of the major supermarkets, invariably the cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

The shops will argue that the decrease in VAT helps them to meet rising rent/rates costs in the face of decreasing business.

However, this measure was not introduced to do this. It was introduced to generate an increase in trade for these kind of shops by way of lowering costs while still making the same margin on the sale of products.

If shops do not lower costs (which they have zero legal obligation to) then the measure will not work. The state will receive less VAT and the shop will receive the same (or lower) levels of business.

In the example of a coffee shop which charges €3.20 for a large latte; the cost should have come down from €3.20 to €3.07 (say €3.10 for arguments sake). With this reduction the margin is the same or even higher than before if priced at €3.10.

Any SMART coffee shop owner would advertise in his/her windows that they have implemented the VAT reduction and also, if I owned a coffee shop/chain, reduce the prices of coffee across the board. I would reduce €3.20 coffee's to €3.00 - while only cutting my margin by 7c per cup. Business owners are so stupid sometimes - they could easily quote competitors who havn't passed on the reduction in their advertisement - a la Ryanair, Tesco marketing strategies. They don't even see that the "loss" of the 7c margin can be easily made up by a tiny increase in sales of coffee.

I for one will be boycotting any shop I hear of that is not passing on the decrease in VAT. They are taking advantage of a Government scheme to get money flowing in this economy with the hope it will not affect their business. How shortsighted of them.

You can keep your €3.20 coffee, my business is going elsewhere.

Advertisement