Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Every paper seems to making point of having their price reduced,which is what you expect from the press

Ive just been to the local chipper and there is an off licence next door both had no reduction in prices

What do you expect to be reduced in an off licence? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Fatboypee

First off i agree with you that the vat reduction should be passed on, but some businesses are to the pin of their collar at the moment and its not greed but they fell its a necessity that if they can gain a much needed margin increase they will take it.

I understand the frustration of going into retailers and looking for a deal, but alot of retailers are really struggling at the moment and simply dont have the wriggle room that people think they have.

At the end of the day if we dont support our own, we cant expect them to be there forever, eg; a retailer friend of mine was approached last year by a lady who asked if there were any summer jobs for her son, what amazed him was this lady never shopped with him yet was suprised when he replied that there were no summer jobs there. you always took on staff for the summer she said to which he replied , yes before lidl came along and you stopped shopping here.

we cant have it both ways and thats on both sides of the fence, retailers must give the best value they can and hopefully customers will support local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Shelflife wrote: »
    Fatboypee

First off i agree with you that the vat reduction should be passed on, but some businesses are to the pin of their collar at the moment and its not greed but they fell its a necessity that if they can gain a much needed margin increase they will take it.

As pointed out in my first post. This is deemed by the businesses as decision as best-benefits their business. If there is not lawful imperative to pass on the rate cut, the very real prospect is, the struggling businesses will not deem a 'bird in the bush' customer worth risking not taking the margin themselves.

Point being:- the money they are taking is NOT theirs to take. It's intended as an incentive by the government to stimulate tourism, trade and custom. Ultimately benefitting the retailers. Whether this is an ethical, or moral argument is beside the point. To me, It's my money. I personally agree with the incentivisation and to see it stymied by retailers taking advantage of it, to me is an obscenity.

Whereas I agree some retailers are to the pin of their collars that is a whole different argument to taking money I paid to the exchequer to which they are not entitled and passing off as "ooh, we WERE gonna put up our prices but hey look we're struggling too, so.... ", essentially they ARE putting up their prices but in an extremely cynical way. In my view It Will backfire.

I understand the frustration of going into retailers and looking for a deal, but alot of retailers are really struggling at the moment and simply dont have the wriggle room that people think they have.

At the end of the day if we dont support our own, we cant expect them to be there forever, eg; a retailer friend of mine was approached last year by a lady who asked if there were any summer jobs for her son, what amazed him was this lady never shopped with him yet was suprised when he replied that there were no summer jobs there. you always took on staff for the summer she said to which he replied , yes before lidl came along and you stopped shopping here.

we cant have it both ways and thats on both sides of the fence, retailers must give the best value they can and hopefully customers will support local businesses.

I do indeed support local shops in this regard wherever possible, for the things I need to buy locally, however its more, for me about the attitude. As explained, I do not, in general, feel that there is an interest in my custom, at times I have literally been told to F-Off and buy elsewhere.

If, for example, bloggs services locally said to me "look, I'm not as cheap as Mister Global but here's what I can do for you.." I would be a bit more inclined to meet some-place in the middle. That, to me, is the important point and one that has pervaded service and supply culture since the beginnings of the Celtic Tiger. Suddenly, things are not so rosey, so, what happens ? Do they, on the whole add value do you think ? Retain customer loyalty some other way ? Or do they see an opportunity to increase already inflated (albeit through other reasons) prices by taking advantage of a government initiative intended for their own benefit but not directly designed to subsidise them ?

What do you think ?

FBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jmur808

Wagamama are not passing on the VAT reduction -- their current menu states that VAT is charged at 20%!!!!

Thank you for your e mail. We at Wagamama are not lowering our prices. We used a Wagamama uk menu format and design. That vat rate was a typo which was an oversight and we are reprinting them at the moment.
    Please accept our apologises for the confusion

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

O'Brien's on Hogan Place, Dublin 2 are not reducing their VAT - they are going to put specials on next week instead :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

This thread deserves a sticky imo, I'll be avoiding any places that don't pass on the new rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Eddie Rocketts. Their burger, drink and fries combo has been €10 for a year or more. It is now gone up to €11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

irishbird wrote: »
    O'Brien's on Hogan Place, Dublin 2 are not reducing their VAT - they are going to put specials on next week instead :confused::confused:
    Most sandwiches unless they're hot are 0% vat so no reduction can be expected.
    Minerals, milkshakes, milk, cookies, crisps, biscuits, choc bars, all remain the same.

In O'Briens or any other sandwich bar, the only product affected are hot sanwiches & hot drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Kay's in Donaghmede SC and Clare Hall are not passing the VAT reduction on to their customers. In fairness, their prices went down earlier in the year.
    I no longer have the choice now, only McD has reduced their prices :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Large Latte in Coffee Society was €2.95.........still €2.95. Also they seem to have done away with loyalty cards on the counter :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

People can charge what they want, it's up to you whether you want to pay or not. What do Irish people not get about this?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

maxer68 wrote: »
    Most sandwiches unless they're hot are 0% vat so no reduction can be expected.
    Minerals, milkshakes, milk, cookies, crisps, biscuits, choc bars, all remain the same.

In O'Briens or any other sandwich bar, the only product affected are hot sanwiches & hot drinks.

so they should be reducing the vat on their coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Large Latte in Coffee Society was €2.95.........still €2.95. Also they seem to have done away with loyalty cards on the counter :mad:

I GOT MINE STAMPED THIS MORNING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Nanazolie wrote: »

Now WBKAKE & your ilk, what do you say now?

I'm not a FG lover, but credit where it's due. They are trying to get the economy going...and at this stage, anything is worth a try...only for you & your money hungry comrades to screw it all up. I hope you sink, You don't deserve to survive ( in business).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Le_Dieux wrote: »

I'm not a FG lover, but credit where it's due. They are trying to get the economy going...and at this stage, anything is worth a try...only for you & your money hungry comrades to screw it all up. I hope you sink, You don't deserve to survive ( in business).

all MOUTH what are they physically doing about it?

Daily mail has not reduced its price. It is keeping it for themselves as a 4.5% increase. Do as I did and don't buy the paper any more

This, the paper that claims to be for the people? Drop the paper by 50c last Friday, ad nothing more?? Bullsh1t.

I want to email the editor of this paper, but when I try to log onto www.irishdailymail.ie it automatically diverts to the UK site. Does anyone have an email address for the editor of this paper here in Ireland? I want to contact Him and see what his retort will be.

Ta!

Not sure what they can do besides reversing their decision with immediate effect, but let's give them a chance to see what is the outcome from their threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

What I am doing about it is logging onto companies Facebook pages for a start and asking the question there.
    Going into a shop and giving out to someone at the till is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

gman2k wrote: »
    What I am doing about it is logging onto companies Facebook pages for a start and asking the question there.
    Going into a shop and giving out to someone at the till is pointless.

write to the manager, or better yet, the CEO's office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

write to the manager, or better yet, the CEO's office

Ah, but no one else sees that letter. So you won't get a response in most instances.
    Post it on Facebook, now everyone who 'likes' their page can instantly see what is going on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Fair play to him but sorry talk is cheap! Wonder would they be so quick to therefore reduce the private pension levy they lobbed on as well? Doubt it.

I emailed my local TD about 4 different retailer examples on Monday and tumbleweeds since, wouldnt mind but hes a minister :eek:

I was in a cafe today just off grafton st and they had a poster up saying the VAT reduction had been passed on but they are still using the same menus and prices they always were FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

gman2k wrote: »
    Ah, but no one else sees that letter. So you won't get a response in most instances.
    Post it on Facebook, now everyone who 'likes' their page can instantly see what is going on.....

Everyone else can, but the nobody who can actually do anything to change the situation will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

People can charge what they want, it's up to you whether you want to pay or not. What do Irish people not get about this?

Sure. And people can shop where they want. And share information on the pricing policies of any establishment. What do retailers not get about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Any of the o'briens I go to (irish life mall, abbey st, mostly around Dublin c.centre etc) haven't dropped the coffee prices. Noticed a few places like Munchies have so ill be moving my custom there now.

Is coffee included in the VAT reduction? Because McD has reduced the prices of most their food (except the euro savers), but not the cofee (albeit it's already one of the best values around)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Silly Question

Theoretical
    Lets say I own Restaurant X I havent reduced my Vat rate and can see not doing so will have an adverse affect on my customers. What is stopping me from telling customers "Yes i have reduced the vat"
    But what i have done is add a few bob on here and there on the menu on a couple of items or drinks OR indeed across the board to cancel out the vat rate decrease?
    I know personally that i cant recall how much the individual items in my local restaurant is I would have a rough idea but not that i would notice a euro or 2. Easy to do, most restaurant have simply photocopied menus they just slip into booklets.

this thread shows that most people know the price of the food they get on a regular basis. Also, I think lots of customers were hoping for a price decrease and have suffered bitter disapointment.
    Yes, you are right, some places claim to have reduced the VAT, but they in return have increased their base prices so it cancels out the reduction. Cheeky. I bet that if the VAT reduction is reversed, they will be quite prompt to raise their prices claiming that the VAT went up and they can do nothing about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

VAT is intended as a tax on consumers - not the merchant. It is paid indirectly from the Customer to the Revenue Commissioners.

The Retailer is merely a "middleman/tax collector" to hand over the money to Revenue. It is an administrative burden. The only impact on their business is cashflow being tied up.

VAT has no impact on the profitability of the business. In a Profit & Loss Account, the sales and purchases are Net of VAT. Corporation Tax or Income Tax is paid accordingly.

If a business rated at 21% makes a sale, the Output Tax is passed over to the Revenue. Similarly, the same business claims back 21% Input Tax on its purchases. If this business is breakeven, they are VAT/Cash neutral.

Any business that keeps VAT at 13.5% on its sales but remits 9% to the Revenue Commissioners is effectively committing tax fraud.

As the Government/Revenue are not enforcing the reduction, companies are getting free 4.5% profit if prices aren't cut.

Advertisement