Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Bay Restaurant in Clontarf have a sign on the wall saying they have passed on the full discount & reverted to 9% vat, however on their receipts there is a 4% discount given on food, maybe i'm being pedantic but they've still another 0.5% to drop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I was talking to a friend whi has a hairdressers about the VAT issue.

Not all business pay VAT and would not therefore be reducing their prices.

once your turnover exceeds €37,500 you are obliged to register for vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

rossc007 wrote: »
    Subway in Naas havent passed on the savings, cost me 8.14 for a sub and a coke... they've stopped giving out receipts unless requested too!

Vat on regular sandwiches is 0% and always has been - so no reduction
    Vat on coke is 21% and always has been - so no reduction either
    bamboozle wrote: »
    Bay Restaurant in Clontarf have a sign on the wall saying they have passed on the full discount & reverted to 9% vat, however on their receipts there is a 4% discount given on food, maybe i'm being pedantic but they've still another 0.5% to drop...

The 4.5% reduction in vat exacty equals to a 4% decrease in the price of the goods that have the new vat rate as the vat is applied on the nET selling price.

e.g. an item priced at €10. To get the net price before vat divide by 1.135. (€8.81)
    The new price is then €8.81 + 9% (79c) = €9.60.

€9.60 is 4% off €10.

Vat reduction has been passed on in its entirety in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

maxer68 wrote: »
    Vat on regular sandwiches is 0% and always has been - so no reduction
    Vat on coke is 21% and always has been - so no reduction either

The 4.5% reduction in vat exacty equals to a 4% decrease in the price of the goods that have the new vat rate as the vat is applied on the nET selling price.

e.g. an item priced at €10. To get the net price before vat divide by 1.135. (€8.81)
    The new price is then €8.81 + 9% (79c) = €9.60.

€9.60 is 4% off €10.

Vat reduction has been passed on in its entirety in this case.

My bad, I'll edit the post, thanks Maxer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My small local takeaway which was the sort of place I was almost certain & sure they would not drop the prices actually did, I was delighted and really respect them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

PCPhoto wrote: »
    at the end of the day every business knows that if they lessen their margin of profit there is a chance of getting more customers and actually increased profit overall (does not work all the time however and some shops goto the wall with higher debts despite dropping their prices)
    The reduction in VAT does affect anyone's profit margin. It is purely VAT, which is a Government tax. goes directly to the Government, has nothing to do with the business who is only an unpaid tax collector.:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

downey2003 wrote: »
    The reduction in VAT does affect anyone's profit margin.
    As I said before it can cost money to implement price changes, and therefore it can effect profits -like if they have to dump out thousands of brochures/pricelists they only just got printed, and acconts admin costs. It could even effect processing times of orders, fiddling about with small coins because the original prices were rounded to the nearest euro or 99c, I remember in slane one year the beer line was really quick as they insisted you got 2 beers and paid €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

rubadub wrote: »
    As I said before it can cost money to implement price changes, and therefore it can effect profits -like if they have to dump out thousands of brochures/pricelists they only just got printed, and acconts admin costs. It could even effect processing times of orders, fiddling about with small coins because the original prices were rounded to the nearest euro or 99c, I remember in slane one year the beer line was really quick as they insisted you got 2 beers and paid €10.

So by that logic if the VAT rate went up by a few %, a lot of businesses would just absorb the hit into the existing price so as to save themselves a bit of work.
    :rolleyes:

Sorry doesn't wash. Small grubby shopkeepers in this country only believe in a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

My local Eurospar in Windmill Lane did not have the new paper prices in their system. When I went to pay one of my papers was charged at 10 cents than the papers list price. I complained and said it was not changed on the system yet and here is my 10 cents back. I know its only 10 cents but if nobody complains that 10 cents per paper over a whole day can add up as extra profit.

gman2k wrote: »
    Sorry doesn't wash. Small grubby shopkeepers in this country only believe in a one way street.

That why there are thousands of empty shops lying about the towns an villages????

The problem is people like yourself haven't bothered to see what exactly came down and then generalise.

For a normal grocery shop, nothing changes as magazines & newpapers have their prices printed on them and they go by these prices.

For a sandwich bar, its probably just the coffee price that changes by 5c as everything else has either a 0% or 21% vat rate.

For a restaurant or hot food outlet its different as hot food and sit-in food has had the vat rate dropped, but not minerals, milkshakes, cakes, biscuits, crisps, chocolates, wines etc.

Then again - why let the truth get in the way of a whinge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Maxer, I can see where you are coming from, but if the VAT increases, the shops will face the same issues (reprinting menus / price lists, updating their tills, etc....). Yet they don't question it when the VAT goes up. I guess they can't absorb the costs a VAT increase in the long run, but you also have to see the issue from a customer's perspective, where shopkeepers can change their prices one way, but not the other, it looks a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gman2k wrote: »
    So by that logic if the VAT rate went up by a few %, a lot of businesses would just absorb the hit into the existing price so as to save themselves a bit of work.
    Correct, thats exactly what many do, I have seen it numerous times when increases come in. Shops will often keep prices at the nearest euro or 50cent even if VAT or duty or wholesale price goes up.

Others have noticed this too, but many people are blinkered when it comes to such things
    maxer68 wrote: »
    The problem with a 1% drop is it is too little. A €1.99 item becomes €1.97, a €9.95 item become €9.86 - the difference was too small. Same when the vat rate rose to 21.5% - no-one rose the prices for the same reason. The €1.95 item did not rise to 1.96 and the 9.95 item did not rise to €10.

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Maxer, I can see where you are coming from, but if the VAT increases, the shops will face the same issues (reprinting menus / price lists, updating their tills, etc....). Yet they don't question it when the VAT goes up. I guess they can't absorb the costs a VAT increase in the long run, but you also have to see the issue from a customer's perspective, where shopkeepers can change their prices one way, but not the other, it looks a bit of a rip off.

what do you mean by a shopkeeper?

Fair enough Hair salons should change - they can simply say a 4% reduction is applied on published prices as almost all their services have had vat reduced.

Restaurant could do this on the food portion - though I know most restaurants are operating on miniscule margins these days and have reduced their prices substantially prior to the vat cut.

For other places it has just been ridiculous - I saw someone compalin in a local sandwich shop that his sandwich wasn't reduced. No amount of expalanition that you can't reduce a 0% rate would placate him.

Overall I think it was very poor planning by fine gael on this - why newspapers & mags? (probably to get good publicity for themselves), why hair dressing? (so that Miss Piggy can look good in Pink?)

If it was tourist related, they simply should have reduced hotels & restaurants & short term car hire to 5% vat and nothing else.

Tourism money is "inward investment" and is probably the best sort of money to get into a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

rossc007 wrote: »
    Subway in Naas havent passed on the savings, cost me 8.14 for a sub and a coke... they've stopped giving out receipts unless requested too!

Edit: Disregard, nothing to be passed on for cold sambo's Maxer has informed me, sorry Subway, I'll be back :)

Hate to flip flap on this issue, but since my sub was toasted, I think that it qualifies for the Vat reduction? Who made up these rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Booked a holiday with this company in April.Use them twice every year so no problem there.€100.00 deposit paid in april and €850.00 balance paid on July6th.
    I rang them today and told them that the price should have dropped by the vat cut and they said no because the booking was before July 1st.My argument is that since the €850.00 was post vat cut the discount should have been given
    Am i talking through my backside or where can I check this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

argentum wrote: »
    Booked a holiday with this company in April.Use them twice every year so no problem there.€100.00 deposit paid in april and €850.00 balance paid on July6th.
    I rang them today and told them that the price should have dropped by the vat cut and they said no because the booking was before July 1st.My argument is that since the €850.00 was post vat cut the discount should have been given

Speaking from a UK perspective (Irish may be the same) it depends on the VAT treatment of the company. Some companies register VAT based on invoices, meaning when they send the bill (make the contract) they pay the VAT. Others recognise the VAT liability when they receive the cash. Pros & cons with both methods, yours may be VAT on invoice which would mean they have already paid the VAT, same as the company I work for btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Companies that HAVE passed on the VAT reduction:

Brown Sugar Hair Salon, Dublin 2 & Blackrock

Swan Cinema, Rathmines

Dylan Hotel, Dublin 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yala

Captain Americas is another for the name and shame.

When I got the bill I queried if the prices had changed as a result of the VAT decrease the manager informed me that no, otherwise they'd have to stop their deals. (?!)

Pointing out that it had nothing to do their profit margin and all about supporting government measures in a recession, fell on deaf ears. They're happy they just increased their profits by 4.5%

They said there'd been complaints but weren't going to do anything about it.

The consumer keeps on paying....rip off Captain Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Yamamori - are not passing on the reduction.
    When asked to explain why the head waitress claimed they had already reduced prices in the last six months.
    As weekly customers for 3+ years we pointed out we hadn't seen any reductions in their pricing in that time. She claimed it was on things we hadn't noticed it on.

Major :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

argentum wrote: »

Sent dream ireland a link by email of the revenue advice about the vat cut .Got a cheque for €37.00 Result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

In the spirit of this thread, two places I've eaten in the last few days have signs up stating their menus show the old prices, but a discount is made at the till:

Kudos (Asian restaurant in IFSC)
    Brú (Naas).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I came across a restaurant called Franklins in the cresent shopping centre in Limerick and they have a huge picture of Michael Noonan and it was thanking him for the vat reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

The tea house in Airfield haven't passed on the VAT reduction. I think it's a Brambles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny havent passed on the reduction. I made a reservation months ago and was charged the same amount last week as I was quoted prior to the change.

When I queried it at the time of checkout, I was told that the rate had come down on their computer system but the receptionist couldnt understand why that was irrelevant to me if the net price increased to offset the VAT reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Brownes restaraunt in Blanch not passing on the savings, they have actually increase the price of a lot of menu items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Village take Away in Dunlavin still charging pre V.A.T. change prices :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

NOTO on Thomas Street have not passed on the VAT reduction, when I questioned this, the staff member I spoke to claimed he knew nothing about it!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Halfway House, Navan Road Dublin - no VAT reduction on the bar food menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Seven in manor street have not passed on the reduction.

Though at 19.95 for a 3 course meal its still great value considering prime eye and sirlion steaks are on the menu.

Advertisement