Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9% VAT name and shame thread

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the cafe in holles street hasnt dropped its prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

Butlers are not passing on decrease. A cappuccino still costs 2.90. I was so annoyed by this yesterday, I think it's just pure greed to not pass it on. Will not be getting a coffee from there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Another one to add to the list.

The Fish Bar chipper in Cabra.
    I was in tonight and asked was the VAT reduced.

I didnt even get an answer !!

We can assume it hasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

everything in dunnes and tesco seems to have gone up recently
    where is the watchdog for this its not on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

jimmynokia wrote: »

What has a watchdog got to do with price increases. What do you think he is watching for?

• Advertisement

What has a watchdog got to do with price increases. What do you think he is watching for?

eh you answered your own question vat was to be reduced yet the shops are increasing the prices

eh you answered your own question vat was to be reduced yet the shops are increasing the prices

They are two different issues completely.

Only some service items dropped. Are you suggesting the items that have gone up are not supplier increases and are items affected by the vat cut.

What are the items, any examples?

Only some service items dropped. Are you suggesting the items that have gone up are not supplier increases and are items affected by the vat cut.

i will do a list out today
    one example now, i travel alot and stay in hotels and ok you see they advertise they have dropped the rates on the websites its a different story when you go in and look at their menus,i stay in the same hotels all the time so im well aware of the prices.
    We are just getting fcuked left right and center simple as that and nothing is been done.

i will do a list out today
    one example now, i travel alot and stay in hotels and ok you see they advertise they have dropped the rates on the websites its a different story when you go in and look at their menus,i stay in the same hotels all the time so im well aware of the prices.
    We are just getting fcuked left right and center simple as that and nothing is been done.

Are we not talking about Dunnes and Tesco ?

Are we not talking about Dunnes and Tesco ?

yeah and everything else if you read the thread im sure you will see the situation rather than point out what im saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

+1, what exactly are they supposed to monitor? prices can increase or decrease all they want. The VAT change happened 6 weeks ago now, how long is an acceptable time before this proposed "watchdog" should allow retailers to increase their prices again. What if a retailer had genuinely planned a price increase on the day of the VAT change -(because that is all they have to claim happened)

Sort of reminds me of people who thought tesco would never increase their prices ever again, since they had some poster saying "change for good". Really dunno what planet they were living on.

I suppose the watchdog would have had to admonish mcDonalds, who refused to lower their eurosaver menu items to 96cent (yet they did decrease other products).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

:confused:

You do realise this is the VAT reduction name and shame thread right?

Although back at the start of July you didn't have a good grasp of what was included either:rolleyes:
    Ive just been to the local chipper and there is an off licence next door both had no reduction in prices

I did ask you what you expected to be reduced in an off licence but you declined to reply;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Last week, took my kids to macdonald for a rare treat and paid €28 for the grub. I noticed on the receipt they had a vat of 9% and 21%. 9% on the €22 and 21% on the €6. I know the vat of 13.5% was reduced to 9% but charged 21% as well! Surely this a rip off! Is this happening in other places? (And plus they didn't even reduced their eurosaver menu only on some products like happy meals, big mac meals, etc)

katy67 wrote: »
    Last week, took my kids to macdonald for a rare treat and paid €28 for the grub. I noticed on the receipt they had a vat of 9% and 21%. 9% on the €22 and 21% on the €6. I know the vat of 13.5% was reduced to 9% but charged 21% as well! Surely this a rip off! Is this happening in other places? (And plus they didn't even reduced their eurosaver menu only on some products like happy meals, big mac meals, etc)

Soft drinks were not reduced as part of the VAT reduction. I'm presuming there were some included? It would account for the €6 charged at 21%.

Also from memory the eurosaver menu changes periodically. Some of the products go back up to full price and different options are added, I assume that when the items on the eurosaver menu go back to their original price the VAT reduction will be taken into account. Likewise when items from the regular menu go onto the eurosaver menu they will be reduced down to the "euro" price.

Not much good having a "eurosaver" menu at 96 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Soft drinks were not reduced as part of the VAT reduction. I'm presuming there were some included? It would account for the €6 charged at 21%.

Does the Vat charge of 21% instead of 9% applies to all drinks, in pubs, shops, etc as well ?
    If so, l didn't realise that

katy67 wrote: »

Does the Vat charge of 21% instead of 9% applies to all drinks, in pubs, shops, etc as well ?
    If so, l didn't realise that

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think people here aren't really grasping the whole concept of what was and wasn't reduced. The above is a perfect example. No, alcohol was not reduced.

Couple of things:

Business are not legally oblidged to pass this on. Instead of collecting 13.5% on some sales the government is now only collecting 9%

Here is a list of what is and isn't affected. I think people need to read this before they go naming and shaming and illegitimately libeling the wrong business:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/rate-change-9-percent.html

I would recommend that a mod update page 1 to include this link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Trampas

I notice some companies are making out like they are great for passing on the cut.

Expecting a pat on the back for doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Trampas wrote: »
    I notice some companies are making out like they are great for passing on the cut.

Expecting a pat on the back for doing it

I'd rather companies did that then not pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cora1

:mad:
    mike65 wrote: »
    From revenue.ie
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/rate-changes-jobs-initiative.html

i purchased a mattress and a unit from diamond during the liquidators sale but to date no delivery I have left numouras phone messages on the phone no's supplied by the company but cannot asscess their email or get contact details for the liquidators to try and get my items i purchased can you offer any advice on how to go about either getting my money back or my items.

I imagine the main areas of interest will be hot take-away food, hotels, guest houses, haircuts, cinema tickets and concerts (though that area seems a bit vague).

• Advertisement
Advertisement