Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Kayaking good at targeting stomach muscles?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about taking up the sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

It is. But then most sports are. :-)

It depends a lot on how you paddle and what you paddle but generally if you paddle a GP boat with good form your core gets a substantial workout. I am sure more of the lads will weigh in soon and give you an exact answer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

worded wrote: »
    Im thinking about taking up the sport.

It does but the beers afterwards dont really help.

No in all seriousness, I dont know the ins and the outs but when I started back paddling ( I would do a lot of playboating and general horse play ) I spent a summer on The Boyne at Stackallen after work most days just surfing the wave there. I actually had a 4 pack and it didnt have a miller logo on it either !

I've got my keg back now though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I did two hours of Kayaking last night and the lads were saying if you lean forward and vary your paddling stroke you can isolate the stomach muscles more.
    Ive sore shoulders and a pain in the lower back now! Stomach feels un worked.

from a google search ......

Kayaking/Rowing
    Water seems to provide an ideal environment for six pack abs exercises. Everyone is well aware how effective swimming is for strengthening abdominal muscles, but other water sports like rowing and kayaking have proven highly effective six pack abs exercises.

The rotation of the abs in kayaking provides plenty of exercise for toning the obliques, which is an important part of six pack abs exercises. The power required to paddle a kayak strengthens abs as well as core strength.

Rowing requires your body to perform different motions, but rowing is another activity that helps you achieve six pack abs. Rowing tightens abdominal muscles and strengthens the core by performing a constant rowing motion. Machines at your local gym, called rowing machines, are an effective alternative for six pack abs exercises

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

worded wrote: »
    I did two hours of Kayaking last night and the lads were saying if you lean forward and vary your paddling stroke you can isolate the stomach muscles more.
    Ive sore shoulders and a pain in the lower back now! Stomach feels un worked.

When you get into your stride, twist your torso with your strokes. (videos on youtube and I cant access it from work)

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    When you get into your stride, twist your torso with your strokes. (videos on youtube and I cant access it from work)

So you can target areas, Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Kayaking is really good for your core muscles, however if its excersize you are thinking about then the fitness and health forum is the place to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

Some kayaking disciplines are better than others at giving your abs a good work out.
    K1 (Sprint and Marathon) paddlers using good technique have very developed abs,lats, biceps, triceps, lats and backs. This is due to them using every muscle in their body from the ball of the foot to tip of the finger during the paddle stroke.
    Have a look at how much power is transmitted through the legs into the footrest in the video below. In nearly all other kayaking disiplines this type of technique can not be used due to the layout of the boat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2HQG0HLNo&playnext=1&list=PLBCF37D02B1C0AC37

Dutchie wrote: »
    Some kayaking disciplines are better than others at giving your abs a good work out.
    K1 (Sprint and Marathon) paddlers using good technique have very developed abs,lats, biceps, triceps, lats and backs. This is due to them using every muscle in their body from the ball of the foot to tip of the finger during the paddle stroke.
    Have a look at how much power is transmitted through the legs into the footrest in the video below. In nearly all other kayaking disiplines this type of technique can not be used due to the layout of the boat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2HQG0HLNo&playnext=1&list=PLBCF37D02B1C0AC37

They are so good at what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

does this mean that my big fat belly is simply due to muscles having turned to fat because i dont paddle any more ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

whizbang wrote: »
    does this mean that my big fat belly is simply due to muscles having turned to fat because i dont paddle any more ?:rolleyes:

Actually you could be right, or maybe you are turning into a couch potato and eating all processed food?

Advertisement