Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sea Kayak to get? (n00b)

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Did a few hours canoeing a few years ago.

Ive tried the mambo sit on top ones, they seem ok.

I need one that I wont be bored with after a week. One that will be ok in choppyish waters.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

Well I started Kayaking about 4 months ago, so I'm pretty much a noob too!

I got a Native watercraft marvel 10(10ft). I love it! Really comfortable ,seat comes out & I can use as a deck chair ;) Bulk head in the rear is waterproof,nice & light. Comes with a lifetime warranty & it's a tough little beast.Plenty of leg room & pretty hard to turn over!
    I got the marvel 10 because I wanted to stay dry but I'm not confident enough to have a kayak with a pretty tight opening.I'd never get out!

I've had it in mostly lakes & rivers! However, I've had it in choppy enough seas with a spray deck.No problem at all.

One small thing...I should have went with the marvel 12!

Again ,I'm a noob & someone with more expertise can offer more help with the choice out there
    Good luck with whatever you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Robbie IRE wrote: »
    Well I started Kayaking about 4 months ago, so I'm pretty much a noob too!

I got a Native watercraft marvel 10(10ft). I love it! Really comfortable ,seat comes out & I can use as a deck chair ;) Bulk head in the rear is waterproof,nice & light. Comes with a lifetime warranty & it's a tough little beast.Plenty of leg room & pretty hard to turn over!
    I got the marvel 10 because I wanted to stay dry but I'm not confident enough to have a kayak with a pretty tight opening.I'd never get out!

I've had it in mostly lakes & rivers! However, I've had it in choppy enough seas with a spray deck.No problem at all.

One small thing...I should have went with the marvel 12!

Again ,I'm a noob & someone with more expertise can offer more help with the choice out there
    Good luck with whatever you buy!

Nice looking machine. How much did it cost you?

I paid €550.00 + 33 to ship to Mullingar from Darrens Kayaks Cork.
    The guy is great for info & very helpful.
    If I was going to buy another kayak, he would be the first person i'd call!

http://www.darrenskayaks.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

worded wrote: »

If you bought this boat I am curious to see how you are getting on with it? I bought one and had to get rid of it, seat too narrow and played havoc with my hips. I am a 32" waist band so not fat.
    Just found the boat too restrictive.

• Advertisement

Sitka wrote: »
    If you bought this boat I am curious to see how you are getting on with it? I bought one and had to get rid of it, seat too narrow and played havoc with my hips. I am a 32" waist band so not fat.
    Just found the boat too restrictive.

One of the guys I go Kayaking with is complaining of the same issue!!
    He had only got the bloody thing.Being new to kayaking we thought it might have been his posture or something.
    It must be just an uncomfortable kayak.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

If you are going to stay in sit on tops try a Feelfree Nomad and you will see a big improvement.
    Look at a fishing sit on top as well, built for comfort, both makes.

Advertisement