Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Roaming and Sms

Options
  • 01-07-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but just trying to get my head around this.
    When I was away last week I couldnt receive or send a picture message. The only way I could do this was by switching roaming on and then disconnecting.
    Is this the only way to send and receive MMS messages?

Also I connected to mail by mistake and cost me around 25 euro for about 5 megabytes (02).

I have a nexus s phone. Do I need to stop services on the phone just to be sure that it does not connect in the background to sercvices like mail e.t.c. when i turn roaming on.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

scholes wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but just trying to get my head around this.
    When I was away last week I couldnt receive or send a picture message. The only way I could do this was by switching roaming on and then disconnecting.
    Is this the only way to send and receive MMS messages?

Also I connected to mail by mistake and cost me around 25 euro for about 5 megabytes (02).

I have a nexus s phone. Do I need to stop services on the phone just to be sure that it does not connect in the background to sercvices like mail e.t.c. when i turn roaming on.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

No, doesnt sound stupid, your SMS work as normal when abroad as they are sent and received across the Operators GSM/UMTS MSC but MMS are slightly different.

A MMS is either an Image or large chunk of text that uses a separate message centre. In order to transmit the data it uses the GPRS/HSPA network, it has its own internet access point just like you would have an access point for Internet browsing, so Packet Data would need to enabled on the handset to send/receive MMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Thanks max for reply, does this mean that the network knows its a mms message when u enable roaming and will you only be charged 25 cent for example.
    Also just paranoid that the phone will go off and receive email in background while I have it turned on

Advertisement