Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam clinic -snoring cure

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here.

But while 'shills' may be present (or not) I really dont see how having a higher or lower post count gives anyone authority on the effectiveness of any procedure.

I went and had the consultation, they seemed very pleasant and not hard sell at all. It was explained to me that I may still have to use a 'mandibular' device even after the procedure - as the procedure cannot relieve the snoring caused by your tongue (due to either a bigger tongue or your lower jaw being slightly behind your upper jaw making your tongue rest at the back of your throat).

They told me to get the device, try it for a few weeks and see if that improves the situation enough to not have to go ahead with the procedure.

Yes, the procedure is expensive, but so is any surgery carried out privately, and if reduces or eradicates the snoring permanently it would be well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭pummice

Anyone know if the procedures in this clinic are covered by health insurance (vhi/aviva/etc)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

pummice wrote: »
    Anyone know if the procedures in this clinic are covered by health insurance (vhi/aviva/etc)?
    MOD: Old thread. Will allow. Answers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnner1969

No I've been looking into this too. Not valid for VHI etc,
    You can claim back some with your med 1 from at the end of the tax year.
    I am desperate now for a solution having tried everything. Im not over weight.
    it will cost me about 2400 for the nose and throat. I had a good consultation for free and no hard sell. I do have mild apnoea and don't want to use cpap. mouth guard didn't work, nose strips help and staying off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Huntingman

No I've been looking into this too. Not valid for VHI etc,
    You can claim back some with your med 1 from at the end of the tax year.
    I am desperate now for a solution having tried everything. Im not over weight.
    it will cost me about 2400 for the nose and throat. I had a good consultation for free and no hard sell. I do have mild apnoea and don't want to use cpap. mouth guard didn't work, nose strips help and staying off your back.

Would love to know how this works out for you if you decide to have the procedure!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The amount of people with less than ten posts... anyways putting that aside. I can confirm the consult is free and there isn't much of a sales pitch, certainly no hard sell. However I never went through with it myself as the GP said "Until you're 14 stone there's no point even discussing other treatment". So if you're overweight there's the first port of call. Secondly there are other surgical treatments and finally none of them including this are guaranteed to work, and even if they do they may not be permanent.

If there is anyone with a significant number of posts and been here for more than a year I'd be delighted to hear of your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Huntingman

I'm with the above poster "Samuel" I'd love to get some genuine feedback as I'm considering the same treatment.. I wouldn't be massively over weight maybe 16st but I'm also 6' 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Huntingman wrote: »
    I'm with the above poster "Samuel" I'd love to get some genuine feedback as I'm considering the same treatment.. I wouldn't be massively over weight maybe 16st but I'm also 6' 2"

Also 6'2" here. I've been as heavy as 18 stone but snored even when I was a lanky streak of wind and... woke up one morning tied to my bunk at a base we were doing training at :pac: Seemingly my roommates were unimpressed.

Advertisement