Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Shotgun training Wicklow area

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Friend has a problem with crows so decided to buy a shotgun to solve the problem. She never used one before so needs Basic handling instruction care etc. I haven't the time to help her myself and she only intends shooting on her own land but wants to be safe. Will not want to join club etc just wants to learn to be safe. Any ideas
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

she is gonna need to do a safety course anyway for her licence. Local club should be able to arainge this and it should cover everything. Maybe get her to go shoot clays a few times to get used to handlin the gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Have to ask, has she a licence and if she has how did she fulfill the competency requirement?

Now to answer your question...............contact NARGC http://www.nargc.ie/site.aspx and enquire if they have any competency courses running in her area or contact MNSCI http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/ as they also run proficiency courses or ask in the local gun shop as they will know of someone locally I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

She could get in touch with Hilltop http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/

They have frequent courses and she can also get in some practice and instruction on the clays :)

If she hasn't yet got a gun she can be trained on a club gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

My understanding is Bought Gun first then found out needed training etc. Now just wants to be safe etc. Thanks for all replies.

Aw, makes sense now ;)

Plenty of options above so :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jhcossie

first time licence holders have to do a course now anyways cost about 50euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

jhcossie wrote: »
    first time licence holders have to do a course now anyways cost about 50euro

no they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Dusty87 wrote: »
    no they dont.
    yes they do, on the fca1 form there is a section that says if it is a first time application a proof of competency cert must be provided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

You can just skip that section, i only got my license last week first timer for a semi auto no course or anything, took five weeks so pleased with that.

declan1980 wrote: »
    yes they do, on the fca1 form there is a section that says if it is a first time application a proof of competency cert must be provided

id recommend anyone to do one but i know of two lads who got first time licences without one, so it depends on your super, so il say again, no not all first time licences need a safety course. I asked my fo what course is recognised by the gardai. She said 'well none, but any would help'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

declan1980 wrote: »

I got mine last October without any training/safety cert. It doesn't say 'proof of competency cert' it just says 'proof of competency'.

I just put in my FCA training and that I had fired on several ranges abroad that required you to complete a safety course first. I was never asked for any certs or anything. As usual, it's probably completely up to the Super as to what he wants.

id recommend anyone to do one but i know of two lads who got first time licences without one, so it depends on your super, so il say again, no not all first time licences need a safety course. I asked my fo what course is recognised by the gardai. She said 'well none, but any would help'.

Important part in bold ;)

Important part in bold ;)
    yep, usual sh1te, so my first answer still stands;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

yep, usual sh1te, so my first answer still stands;).

Like many forms, they were never thought through........
    I had to go referee for a 76 year old man recently :eek:

Advertisement