Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection constantly dropping

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Ever since we were switched over to next generation (quite a long time ago) our broadband has gone to pot & the connection is regularly dropping, as in once every 15 to 20 minutes I have to turn my internet connection on and off to get back online. This happens with 2 laptops (macbook & dell), smartphones & ps3 so I don't think it's a computer specific issue. Only thing hooked up to our phoneline is the router. What can I do to look into this further & get it sorted out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hello,

Ever since we were switched over to next generation (quite a long time ago) our broadband has gone to pot & the connection is regularly dropping, as in once every 15 to 20 minutes I have to turn my internet connection on and off to get back online. This happens with 2 laptops (macbook & dell), smartphones & ps3 so I don't think it's a computer specific issue. Only thing hooked up to our phoneline is the router. What can I do to look into this further & get it sorted out?

Thanks!

Hi MissFlitworth,

Thanks for your query and apologies for the delay.

If you PM your home phone number, I will be able to take a look at your Broadband connection and advise you further.

Please try to complete the following basic troubleshooting steps as these kinds of intermittent connection issues can often associated with faulty internal wiring, or adsl splitters, etc.

Ensure that you temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test your connection again, but this time with all your computers shut down, except just 1.

Also : Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please click here for contact information.

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (lowcall) (Opening hours : 08:00 - 22:00)

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow up on this. Alternatively, let us know and we can chase this as well.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement