Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI all

I moved to UCD this year to do my Masters and i really dont understand the GPA system. MY GPA is currently 3.33 im just wondering how much i would need in my thesis to get a first or is it even possible for me to get a first now??

Would love some help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

How many credits is your thesis worth?

Edit: If it's 30, then you'd need a 4.38 for your thesis to drag you up into a first - so that'd be a no.

If it's 50, then you'd need a 3.96, so an a or an A+.

Dunno if there are any other weightings, I've heard of both of those in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

I just finished a computer science degree and our final year project + thesis was only worth 15 credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Help with thesis

yeah its worth 30 credits. so clearly there is no hope. What would i need to be able to stay on a 2:1 as in would i need a b b+ or that??

Thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Joneser wrote: »
    I just finished a computer science degree and our final year project + thesis was only worth 15 credits.
    Yeah, but a masters never has that little focus on thesis - 30 credits is the minimum, because you don't do class in the summer semester. Some courses, likt History, have the 50 credit, and you spend a chunk of semester 2 doing the thesis as well.
    yeah its worth 30 credits. so clearly there is no hope. What would i need to be able to stay on a 2:1 as in would i need a b b+ or that??

Thanks for your help
    You'll need a GPA of 2.58 for your Thesis to maintain a 2.1 degree. So anything over a C-.

Thanks for all your help. have no supervisor so have no one to talk about it and was getting abit worried about keeping my 2:1 im hoping now it should be ok. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Thanks for all your help. have no supervisor so have no one to talk about it and was getting abit worried about keeping my 2:1 im hoping now it should be ok. Thanks

How do you not have a supervisor? That sounds a bit crazy.

Gae wrote: »
    How do you not have a supervisor? That sounds a bit crazy.
    We Werent given a supervisor. It wasnt even an option. It makes things very tough as its hard to know if you are on the right track with your research.

Advertisement