Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike wheel stolen. GRRRRRR!

• 01-07-2011 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I came out from work yesterday and some f'er had gone off with my wheel. It had expensive enough roadster tyres on it that are not too common ard are regongnisable. I'll be keeping a look out for it amongst the feral youths. it was securley locked to a railing with high tensile steel cable an all, and was in a reasonably busy area with people around. I had to bring it home on my back!
    picture.php?albumid=1760&pictureid=9996

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

You poor fecker! Were they quick release wheels? Whereabouts did it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I once had a bike cruelly taken from me, so I feel your pain.

On a plus side, there is a supervised bike park in Blackfriars for anyone cycling into the tall ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

down the by railings just beyond the fire station. My mistake was to only put the cable lock around the frame, leaving the wheels to be removed. I will buy a longer cable and loop it through bothwheels and the frame in future, as i have nowhere indoors to put it at work.
    No they were not quick releases, the normal nuts. Who ever did it came prepared with a spanner and probably had their eye on it for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Feck sake. The scummy dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Fookin coxukers.... FFS stealing a bike wheel is a new standard for lowlife. I think I will start on the heroin to see how fckn low I can go!

• Advertisement

down the by railings just beyond the fire station. My mistake was to only put the cable lock around the frame, leaving the wheels to be removed. I will buy a longer cable and loop it through bothwheels and the frame in future, as i have nowhere indoors to put it at work.
    No they were not quick releases, the normal nuts. Who ever did it came prepared with a spanner and probably had their eye on it for a few days.

I use an Axa Defender o-lock, an Abus Granite plus D-Lock, and a cheap cable. I always secure both wheels and the frame, and take away lights etc.

So thats about €150 of lock on a €440 bike. I never met anyone who regretted having too many locks.

Cable locks are very easy to cut off.

Waterford doesn't really have a problem with 'professional' bike thieves, just opportunist scumbags. I suspect some 'professionals' came down for the tall ships. Only a professional thief is interested in something specific like a back wheel. Ie, the must also steal the front of bikes.

Feck sake. There was thought put into it so, Not just an opportunistic scumbag.

I had a cheap lock on my bike, but had to break it off with a hammer only last night after it seized on me. :eek:

dayshah wrote: »
    I use an Axa Defender o-lock, an Abus Granite plus D-Lock, and a cheap cable. I always secure both wheels and the frame, and take away lights etc.

So thats about €150 of lock on a €440 bike. I never met anyone who regretted having too many locks.

Waterford doesn't really have a problem with 'professional' bike thieves, just opportunist scumbags. I suspect some 'professionals' came down for the tall ships. Only a professional thief is interested in something specific like a back wheel. Ie, the must also steal the front of bikes.
    I had the back light nicked before down by the library. Fair annoying! I was lucky I had a hi-vis with me, or I wouldn't have risked the cycle home.

chelloveks wrote: »
    Fookin coxukers.... FFS stealing a bike wheel is a new standard for lowlife. I think I will start on the heroin to see how fckn low I can go!

I'd say what happened is someone elses' bike frame was stolen but without its back wheel, as it would have been locked using the back wheel. So then the robbers needed a new wheel to fit so they took mine. Baxterds.

I thought HT cable was very difficult to break, as a bolt cutter wont work as with a chain and a hacksaw wont cut it. Unless maybe the ready made cable locks from the shops are softer or something. I made my one myself as i had some 8mm cable at home in the shed and got ferrules fitted on either end to make loops. I passed a length of garden hose over the cable to protect the paintwork.
    I could not cut it with a hacksaw i needed the small angle grinder. Very tough stuff the high tensile. The cable came from an old winch that was broken. I used a padlock that has the shackle guarded by extra brass shielding from the lock, hard to break i'd imagine.
    i'll do the same nest time but just make the cable long enough to go through both wheels and the frame. such individuals are piss, waste.

While i was waiting to get my lift home, i went up and reported it to the guards (not expecting much) but they said one of their colleuges was dealing with a troublesome bunch of youths down that direction earlier, but as said earlier, targetting a specific part is the work of a professional waster - feral youths/scum are mure likely to just cause damage rip the bike to bits and chuck it in the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

This might sound like over kill, but you would probably be best to use 2 D-locks 1 for each wheel to the frame, and then a wire one for you saddle.

But then if they really want your bike they'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

was the back wheel made of gold or something that they went to the effort to take it :),,ya lucky tho many a bike iv seen like that had buckled frames after been locked to gates or where ever from blaguarding huurs,,but also in saying that i left a bike in the apple market years ago chained up using only a pound shop dog lead and pound shop lock for 3 weeks before and it was still there in the same nick when i gotten round to collecting it

I thought HT cable was very difficult to break, as a bolt cutter wont work as with a chain and a hacksaw wont cut it.

I once saw someone robbing a bike with a bolt cutters. I reckon it took about 2 seconds.
    The best cable has an integrated lock. The padlock is a weak link.

D-Locks (or U-locks, whatever they are called) are usually considered the strongest. But its recommended to use 2 types. You get through a cable with a bolt cutters, and a D-Lock with a car jack, and its less likely that someone will have both tools.

A determined thief will still manage to rob it, its just a matter of making it too much hassle for it. I agree someone prob robbed the back wheel because they robbed the rest of a different bike, so it was probably a professional just down for the tall ships.

Overall in Waterford I'm not too worried about my bike being stolen (especially with its 3 locks), but I do get worried that some scumbag will just vandalise it. I wish I could attach a high voltage cable to electrocute the fVckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Stokolan wrote: »
    This might sound like over kill, but you would probably be best to use 2 D-locks 1 for each wheel to the frame, and then a wire one for you saddle.

But then if they really want your bike they'll get it.

This reminds me of my neighbour and his motorbike. He had his biked locked in his back garden, beside his father's alarmed car and the garden gate locked shut.

Yet one morning he woke up and it was gone. How they managed to get the bike out over a six foot wall amazed him, let alone they managed never to touch his fathers car, setting off the alarm, and working in the pitch black to get off the lock.

The responded garda told him, if they want it, they will get it.

I have now got my new wheel and fitted it. €80 and then another €20 for a new lock. I got a HT steel cable, 2m long to go through the frame and both wheels. I might still keep the small cable and add that on as an extra pain in the arse to anyone who takes a liking to my bike or any part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe blogger

I have now got my new wheel and fitted it. €80 and then another €20 for a new lock. I got a HT steel cable, 2m long to go through the frame and both wheels. I might still keep the small cable and add that on as an extra pain in the arse to anyone who takes a liking to my bike or any part of it.

glad its sorted buddy

any pictures of the bike back in working order

OK, I shouldn't make you paranoid, but I spend about €80 on my D-Lock from Wiggle, plus I have a cable lock and O-lock. Bigger isn't always better ;), a 2m long one also gives the thief more to play with. Be sure to try wind it up tight when locking your lengthy object.

From pick my bike is probably worth the same as yours, but we are parked together they'll take yours. Sorry, but that's how it is. Of course I am being paranoid as Waterford doesn't really have these professional bike thieves, and I think it was just the weekend that was in it. And no lock protects against vandalism.

But definitely keep the 2nd lock. Its less hassle than going to a bike shop again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Theres one over on the north wharf they wont need after yesterday, give them a ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

The Hare Krishnas did it.

I had my bike locked up all weekend right in the middle of the quay with just a D-lock, and had no hassle.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    OK, I shouldn't make you paranoid, but I spend about €80 on my D-Lock from Wiggle, plus I have a cable lock and O-lock. Bigger isn't always better ;), a 2m long one also gives the thief more to play with. Be sure to try wind it up tight when locking your lengthy object.

.......... And no lock protects against vandalism.

But definitely keep the 2nd lock. Its less hassle than going to a bike shop again.

I needed a 2m (actually only I.8m when measured) to go around the frame, wheels and post/railing/whatever, the 1.5m was too short,. Yes it must be tight to get rid of any slack motion. Its got an integrated loock - theres a bolt thing that goes into a reciever. Are these type any good?

[Embedded Image Removed]
    The vandalism then, well there aint nothing you can do about that, if they wanna break somthin they do it anyway. Currently with the new 2 lock set up i'd be more worried about vandalism than theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

Or you could buy a Jack Russell and tie him on a lead to the bike. It be cheap to feed too.:D

Pump101 wrote: »
    Or you could buy a Jack Russell and tie him on a lead to the bike. It be cheap to feed too.:D

He might piss on your bike though. :D

Here's the bike fixed up. I am now locking through the frame and wheels with the new lock. I also found a new spot to park it. I asked a Vets could I leave it on the railings near his place. Its a better spot.
    As you'll notice some other numpty has left another bike near mine for the last two days and it's completely unlocked, so if anyone wants to steal, they will steal that one. haha.
    picture.php?albumid=1760&pictureid=10032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Them cable locks are so easy to cut its a joke! really u should get ur self a D-lock as well and stick it on it, (2 would be better but meh) still use the cable but having a 2nd diff lock will slow down anyone taking ur bike!

It was said on a post earlyer to use 2 d locks one on each wheel and then frame, this is a set up i like and use, however it should be noted not to use 2 d locks of the same make or brand etc, as again makes it easyer to take if the guy knows how to get past that lock,

heres a great vid to look at and see how much people dont care!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zb8YXrmIA

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Them cable locks are so easy to cut its a joke! really u should get ur self a D-lock as well and stick it on it, (2 would be better but meh) still use the cable but having a 2nd diff lock will slow down anyone taking ur bike!

It was said on a post earlyer to use 2 d locks one on each wheel and then frame, this is a set up i like and use, however it should be noted not to use 2 d locks of the same make or brand etc, as again makes it easyer to take if the guy knows how to get past that lock,

heres a great vid to look at and see how much people dont care!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zb8YXrmIA

When i made my old short cable lock from old winch cable, it was nealy impossible to dut. I tried the boltcutter but it would just squash the cable and not cut. The hacksaw would just get stuck in the strands. I had to use the grinder. So then the locks you buy must be made from stofer cable or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

When i made my old short cable lock from old winch cable, it was nealy impossible to dut. I tried the boltcutter but it would just squash the cable and not cut. The hacksaw would just get stuck in the strands. I had to use the grinder. So then the locks you buy must be made from stofer cable or something.
    yes if you made it that diff! winch cable is very good strong cable! in cables you buy in shops i find them to be very weak in strenth amd made of cheep cable wire! not winch cable anyhow :D

Remember, the padlock is the weak link.

Advertisement