Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VR trainer

• 01-07-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

thinking of the Tacx Bushido. Anybody have one, experiences etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

I've been looking at this trainer mainly because it is more based on power meter measurements.

Initially I was considering the Fortius but then I reckoned it would be more of a computer game with the muti player online thing and I def won't have time to get embroiled in online racing.

I was to use it to improve my power and overall cycling condition through the winter by interval sessions. To add a bit of variety I will get a couple of the VR DVD's as an upgrade for replacements of the weekend long spin when the weather is really dire.

Anyone any thoughts or suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

morana wrote: »
    thinking of the Tacx Bushido. Anybody have one, experiences etc?

Google "tacx bushido slowtwitch" and read the horror stories.

Computrainer get consistently excellent reviews, and appears to have great long term reliability.

I have neither, but was considering something like this. Ended up going with a second powertap system, and will buy some sufferfest videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Those Slowtwitch posts are donkeys years old !!! The Tacx software back then was very buggy and it was the old 'Atari' style version.

I've a Fortius since 2009, and I've honestly never had a problem with it. Some of the software versions were crap from time to time, but hey look at Microsoft :eek:

The new Tacx Training Software ( TTS ) is actually fantastic, bang up to date and VERY useful. The only limiter is youself !

The ergovideos are very good as well, some more so than others, but TBH I just use them if I get fed up of doing intervals.

As for the multiplayer thing, I've only used it a couple of times, and yeah its grand but its not addictive like gaming. The Dutch & Belgians are mad into it and will murder you in their winter leagues.

I've calibrated mine against a Powertap, and as long as you follow a few basic setup routines each time you use it, like 20 mins warm up, accurate tyre pressure etc , you can get pretty consistent power readings. I've got mine reading pretty much bang on with the Powertap. I also have an old hack permanently setup on it so there's no fiddling about with skewers and bits.

The only downside of the Fortius for me is having to plug it in and hook up a laptop, I've a Mac so I've also got to start up Bootcamp :rolleyes:
    ... and this is where the Bushido wins for me, no power needed or laptop, just get on the bloody thing and train. You can also hook up your Ant+ powermeter and have that wattage used on the display instead of using the brake reading.

I'm actually considering selling my Fortius and getting a Bushido.

PS If you do decide to get one, dont bother with the steering frame, just a gimmick really, impossible to steer so you keep crashing and get feck all training done.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Those Slowtwitch posts are donkeys years old !!! The Tacx software back then was very buggy and it was the old 'Atari' style version.

Donkey's years? Donkey's months maybe. Force google to search for the last year only and you can see.

Maybe Tacx have gotten their act together, but I wasn't going to take a chance as it looked like they couldn't give a crap about their customers.

The last disparaging post about Tacx in that thread that the search found was Aug 2009, the more recent posts from ACTUAL Fortius owners is from Jan 2010, the their comments reflect how the software has come on leaps & bounds in the past 2 years.

Tacx had a major problem with the 110V version of the motor brake, that was handled appallingly by the US Distributor.

The European versions have been 100%, and as for support, I called them on a few occasions, and got immediate support and anytime I emailed them or posted on the support forum, I received an answer straight away.

THATS a genuine user experience, and the fact that I'm considering buying a Tacx Bushido says it all.

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Donkey's years? Donkey's months maybe. Force google to search for the last year only and you can see.

Maybe Tacx have gotten their act together, but I wasn't going to take a chance as it looked like they couldn't give a crap about their customers.

• Advertisement

The last disparaging post about Tacx in that thread that the search found was Aug 2009, the more recent posts from ACTUAL Fortius owners is from Jan 2010, the their comments reflect how the software has come on leaps & bounds in the past 2 years.

Your interweb skills are awful. "Computrainer or TACX trainer", started Dec 2010.

Did this :
    Google "tacx bushido slowtwitch" and read the horror stories.

And now you say do this :
    Your interweb skills are awful. "Computrainer or TACX trainer", started Dec 2010.

FFS :rolleyes: Sorry mate, just cant be arsed anymore.

@Morana & @Gottarun hope you got some helpful info from my post, if you're in the Kingdom anytime, you're more than welcome to try out the Fortius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Kevin dublin

Hi Lads,

Is there any point looking in Ireland for these VR trainers, any suppliers have stock of these or demo models setup? or maybe up the North?

Want to get something for the winter & I think a 'normal' turbo trainer would be too boring for me, use it a few times then I'd leave it in the corner!!

I'm only starting back in cycling, so I'm only doing small 5-10K spins each day, I want to keep this up over the winter & improve on distance/stamina etc.

Would appreciate any advice you guys have

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

To be honest even with VR (I have a Fortius) I would still prefer to go out in the dark and rain.

+1, the only exception being last winter where it was impossible to cycle around my neck of the woods for nearly 3 months, with the snow & ice.

The turbo definitely paid off over the winter, I started the season in flying form ... which I've been struggling to find again :(

blorg wrote: »
    To be honest even with VR (I have a Fortius) I would still prefer to go out in the dark and rain.

• Advertisement

+1, the only exception being last winter where it was impossible to cycle around my neck of the woods for nearly 3 months, with the snow & ice.

The turbo definitely paid off over the winter, I started the season in flying form ... which I've been struggling to find again :(
    That's why I bought a MTB and a cross bike.

The turbo is painful but it is good if you just have 45 minutes or an hour to kill, you can get in something worthwhile. I've never managed beyond 60 minutes!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... 3 hours and around 100km are PBs for me on the Fortius. My "records" tend to be set when coming back from injury (the 3 hour session was between a knee cartilage operation and doing the WW200 3 weeks later) - mine got a great deal of action for 5 weeks foillowing a wrist break last year, and during the worst of last winter's weather

Having said that, I would get out on the road whenver possible although the way our winters seem to be heading it may be getting even more action ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Hi Lads,

Is there any point looking in Ireland for these VR trainers

Would appreciate any advice you guys have

Kevin

I got my vr fortius in Germany. Pm me for the website if you like as my post may be classed as spam or similar if I name the spot. Almost half the cost of getting it here.

Hi Lads,

Thanks for all the replies.

I would also prefer to be out & about but I don't trust most of the idiot drivers going around, it's bad enough during the daylight hours!!

Went up to the djouce today with the mate, I only have a trekking bike, KTM Life Motion, 700c wheels, limited front suspension.

I was absolutely knackered & we where on the wusses trail!! I'm not use to steep inclines & rocky trails:eek: Think I'll stick to park trails with the odd bump & hill:D

As I said I'm only recently getting into this but want to keep the momentum going over the winter, I think as the weather turns to rain, wind, cold combined with the dark mornings I might just turn over & keep sleeping rather than get up at 6.30am for a spin on the bike:rolleyes:

If I get a VR trainer I'll put up a review on here which might help somebody else.

Kevin

If you have good lights drivers will give you more space at night than they do during the day, you are actually more visible. I have done a lot of night riding; it is not a problem. Weather is rarely too bad either.

As for being "knackered" on the trails, what do you think is the point of training!

I just don't think you realise how mind-numbingly boring and difficult riding a trainer is, and a VR trainer is a hell of a lot of money to waste. Borrow one (even a normal trainer) or buy a cheap (normal) trainer to try before shelling out on the VR.

I certainly wouldn't have "VR trainer" #1 on my list of bike-related purchases if your only bike right now is a hybrid.

blorg wrote: »
    If you have good lights drivers will give you more space at night than they do during the day, you are actually more visible. I have done a lot of night riding; it is not a problem. Weather is rarely too bad either.

As for being "knackered" on the trails, what do you think is the point of training!

I just don't think you realise how mind-numbingly boring and difficult riding a trainer is, and a VR trainer is a hell of a lot of money to waste. Borrow one (even a normal trainer) or buy a cheap (normal) trainer to try before shelling out on the VR.

I certainly wouldn't have "VR trainer" #1 on my list of bike-related purchases if your only bike right now is a hybrid.

Hi,

Thanks for your views/comments, I see where your coming from, fair enough points about the training, no pain no gain:D

I agree about the price of the VR trainers, that's why I'm asking questions:) the last thing I want is hundreds of euro's lying in a corner gathering dust:rolleyes:

I'll ease into the winter & see how I get on, I actually have decent lights so no excuses.

Last question . . . . . . . can you get ski adaptors for a push bike:D (only joking but considering the last winter we had!!)

Kevin

Advertisement