Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entitled to refund?

• 01-07-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

I rented Shrooms out (Won't say where) and the movie is the worst piece of crap I have ever sat through in my life. Ugh, such horse manure, I took it back and demanded a refund and an apology due to what an awful piece of crap the movie was. I was told they don't offer refunds due to movies being **** and that my grief should be with the film makers themselves. Am I entitled to a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

No...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No. The dvd played, even if it played a terrible film, you got to watch it.
    Next time rent Paul.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

no, and i liked it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I rented Shrooms out (Won't say where) and the movie is the worst piece of crap I have ever sat through in my life. Ugh, such horse manure, I took it back and demanded a refund and an apology due to what an awful piece of crap the movie was. I was told they don't offer refunds due to movies being **** and that my grief should be with the film makers themselves. Am I entitled to a refund?

No, you're not. You decided to rent the film. There was no fault with the product.

Your issue is with the content/quality of the film/plot. They're totally right to tell you to take it up with the film maker, although they won't give you a refund either, nor will they give you that time back in your life.

Time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

FFS. Look at IMDB beforehand if you want a review.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

it scares me that somebody expects a refund for such a thing, thought people had more cop on then this.

I pity the poor person in the rental store that has to deal with people like this who expect refunds just because they didn't like the film THEY CHOOSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Do you think if it was rented elsewhere, it would have been better?:p

April fools day is APRIL 1st, not JULY 1st.

But thanks for the laugh anyway:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I remember when I worked in a small newsagents I had a customer come back and say they didn't like the sweets they'd opened and tried. There was nothing wrong with them, they just didn't like them. Very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Of course, warning flags should have been raised after reading this warning on IMDB:

The constant bird sounds in the background throughout the film frequently include the very obvious Red-Winged Blackbird which is not found in Europe, never mind Ireland, where the film is set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Cabaal wrote: »
    it scares me that somebody expects a refund for such a thing, thought people had more cop on then this.

I pity the poor person in the rental store that has to deal with people like this who expect refunds just because they didn't like the film THEY CHOOSE.

I worked in Xtra Vision a few years ago and I had a this type of nonsense a few times,people actualyl getting really angry and throwing abuse at me. You rented the movie,do the bloody research before you go in and start "demanding" a refund but also an apology as the OP stated. madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

is this for serious?

if so, i lament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I thought it was a great film, fantastic acting, production and sound track.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Oryx wrote: »
    Next time rent Paul.
    3 laughs in 90 minutes well worth the rental price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I honestly think you're trolling so hard it's become frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I definitely remember bringing videos back to the shop back within an hour or 2 in the days before the internet. They would normally be happy to do an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

are you actually serious?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I've done this too in the good old days, before their stock systems were too heavily computerised to allow it. If it was a POS they'd have no problem exchanging it if more than a few hours hadn't elapsed and you weren't just obviously trying it on and trying to view films for free. After all, it didn't cost them anything extra and they got goodwill and feedback on the films.

Of course, there is no entitlement to anything in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wyndham wrote: »
    I've done this too in the good old days, before their stock systems were too heavily computerised to allow it. If it was a POS they'd have no problem exchanging it if more than a few hours hadn't elapsed and you weren't just obviously trying it on and trying to view films for free. After all, it didn't cost them anything extra and they got goodwill and feedback on the films.

Of course, there is no entitlement to anything in this case.

if you do it for one eejit though, you're opening the floodgates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

OP cannot be serious!! a woman brought back a pair of shoes after ' wearing them for a few hours on the town' and then they hurt her feet, she paid 10 euros for them and FULLY expected a refund.... I laughed a little til i realised she was serious and took my name to report me to head office...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Haha I thought the OP was a troll until I looked at his post count.

I literally face palmed myself. I feel sorryfor the cashier that would hav dealt with you,especially being told that you "expect an apology"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

This is a joke right?

Did you expect the chap to stop you at the counter at the time of sale and say, your choice is bo**ox, im not taking your money cause you will be back here tomorrow asking for a refund.

Did you ever go on holidays and think it was s**t and then rang the airline and asked for a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

One of our family works in a shop and gets this kind of customer just about every day. We can't believe the hard neck some people have. If the OP had gone to the cinema and not liked the film, would he have demanded a refund from the cinema? Crazy to believe you have a right to a refund just because you don't like something. How many people rent movies in Ireland? OP think about it - they can't make sure every film will make everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:D:D:D Has to be a Troll. Nobody could be so dim. :p

:D:D:D Has to be a Troll. Nobody could be so dim. :p

Tim-nice-but-dim.jpeg

Having re-read this again - I feel a lot of replies including my own must have seemed harsh to the OP after all he/she just asked 'am I entitled to a refund?' and was possible a bit naive. I'm sorry I was harsh OP, the simple answer is No.

JB, people are laughing at the fact that he already went back to them and DEMANDED a REFUND and an APOLOGY (assuming the whole thing isnt just a wind-up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

OP hasn't bothered returning to the thread. I presume s/he couldn't care lesss after being given the answer.

JB, people are laughing at the fact that he already went back to them and DEMANDED a REFUND and an APOLOGY (assuming the whole thing isnt just a wind-up)

Yeh mebbe.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I just think if they offer a service they should make sure the product is up to service. It doesn't suprise me these places are going down the tubes with how unprofessional they are being. I am also shocked and suprised at the level of unprofessionalism shown in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Would you get a refund if you went to see a match and didn't like it?

Would you get a refund if you bought a book and didn't like it?

Would you get a refund if you bought a lovely painting for a wall, but then decided it doesn't really suit the decor of the place?

Didn't think so.

I just think if they offer a service they should make sure the product is up to service. It doesn't suprise me these places are going down the tubes with how unprofessional they are being.

They are offering you a product. You selected the product. You didn't like it.

Time for you to assume responsibility for your actions. It is not their fault that you made a bad choice.

I just think if they offer a service they should make sure the product is up to service. It doesn't suprise me these places are going down the tubes with how unprofessional they are being. I am also shocked and suprised at the level of unprofessionalism shown in this thread.
    Come on, are you for real! If you went to the cinema and didn't like the film you chose to watch, would you demand a refund? If you buy a book and don't think much of it do you feel entitled to a refund? If you buy or rent a game and are crap at it do you feel entitled to a refund? Couldn't we all return all rented DVDs, say we considered the film rubbish and insist on a refund - even if we actually enjoyed the film? You availed of a service which delivered on it's end of the bargain.

Boy are you in for a rude awakening in life if you think you had a case there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Product up to service? It was you watched it.
    You rented a dvd. YOU did.
    Nobody twisted your arm in the rental office, it wasn't "this or nothing"

And as for unprofessionalism on this thread, I didn't answer before because I thought it was a wind up. Seriously, nobody is that unaware of their consumer rights, particularly in this day and age.

Throwing your toys out of the pram is exactly how you came across in your OP, not just unprofessional, but childish.

Would you get a refund if you went to see a match and didn't like it?

I don't watch matches so that's not an issue.
    Would you get a refund if you bought a book and didn't like it?

Well I'd read a few pages and if the book sucked then yes I think I would be entitled to a refund.
    Would you get a refund if you bought a lovely painting for a wall, but then decided it doesn't really suit the decor of the place?

I would hope so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Well I'd read a few pages and if the book sucked then yes I think I would be entitled to a refund.

I would hope so yes.

OP, do you know what "entitled" means? Because I really really don't think you do. Not in the context of consumer issues anyway.

Here, read this, and no, you're not entitled to a refund if you don't like it.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/

• Advertisement

I would hope so yes.

You're priceless. :rolleyes:

But, in fairness, you've provided great entertainment, especially showing your ignorance of your consumer rights and what you think you're entitled to, because of your own choices. :eek:

People like you give consumers a bad name.

Paulw wrote: »

People like you give consumers a bad name.

Everybody is a consumer, everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dublindude69 - in the interests of definitively answering your question you are not entitled to a refund in the situation you describe. The film choice was your selection. The only circumstances under which you would be entitled to a refund would be if the DVD failed to play or was damaged.

Everybody is a consumer, everybody.

And everybody in life makes at least one bad choice/decision. Some are man enough to take responsibility for their own choices, and some blame others and expect a refund and apology.

You have no right (absolutely zero right) to a refund and an apology. You have no moral nor legal right in this situation.

You made the choice. You selected the film. You watched the film. You didn't like it. Time to move on. None of this was the fault of the rental store. It was all down to you.

now I know he's just on the wind up

• Advertisement

I think we all got sucked in here. He's obviously taking the Michael. He went too far about returning a book to be credible. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

OP has to be a troll. Nobody is this stupid.

Advertisement