Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penneys - Bank statement instead of receipt?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there, wonder if anyone can advise on my predicament. I purchase over €100 worth of good from Penneys. Was in a rush a didn't get to try stuff on. Anyways, when I went to return items that didn't fit I realised I had mislaid the receipt. Penneys said they would exchange my items for the exact same items in a different size. This is no use to me as the items didn't suit me. I don't mind exchanging for other items or getting a credit note. Anyway, I paid by debit card and have a bank statement as some form of proof of purchase. Has anyone on this board every succeeded in getting credit note or exchange for other items using a bank statement as proof of purchase instead of a receipt? Hope someone can help... i'm kicking myself I lost the receipt! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i don't think the bank statement would specify the actual items purchased, just the bulk amount paid. i don't think it'll suffice unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They will allow exchange for other items, but not without a receipt. They do not do credit notes- they will issue gift cards to the amount if you have the receipt but not the debit/credit card, but not if you don't have the receipt. They are not obliged to do anything, and you have lost out on the generous options available due to not having proof of purchase.

A bank statement is worth trying, but obviously it is only the total and they can easily reject it. Another option is that they can search for your receipt on their system, the screen copy. This one will match your card number, it is only your own receipt that censors your card number. It would be helpful if you knew the exact date and approximate time, also the tillbank. Smaller shops can do this in 5 minutes at the actual till but Penneys would need to consult their cash office to track it. It is definitely worth asking for at the customer service if the bank statement fails- but it would take time and they're so busy they might refuse out of hand. Best of luck.

they will issue gift cards to the amount if you have the receipt but not the debit/credit card,

This is untrue, I got a refund back to my credit card last week in Dundrum and have many times gotten refunds to my debit card.

OP I have often lost my Penneys receipt and brought back items to exchange (I never try anything on in the shop!!) and they have always let me get other goods to the same value. Just try again but do it very soon because you know with penneys they reduce stuff a week after it goes on sale and you will only get the value that the items are currently selling at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Hi there, wonder if anyone can advise on my predicament. I purchase over €100 worth of good from Penneys. Was in a rush a didn't get to try stuff on. Anyways, when I went to return items that didn't fit I realised I had mislaid the receipt. Penneys said they would exchange my items for the exact same items in a different size. This is no use to me as the items didn't suit me. I don't mind exchanging for other items or getting a credit note. Anyway, I paid by debit card and have a bank statement as some form of proof of purchase. Has anyone on this board every succeeded in getting credit note or exchange for other items using a bank statement as proof of purchase instead of a receipt? Hope someone can help... i'm kicking myself I lost the receipt! :(
    you are not entitled to it EOS, you should be lucky they offered you an option in a different size as they didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

theteal wrote: »
    i don't think the bank statement would specify the actual items purchased, just the bulk amount paid. i don't think it'll suffice unfortunately

The store could tie up the total with the relevant till-roll, and check the individual items on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

you are not entitled to it EOS, you should be lucky they offered you an option in a different size as they didn't have to.

Yes the OP is entitled to exchange / refund with receipt as it is the store's policy and is written in the store and therefore is part of the sales contract with that particular store.

If they got rid of the signs and took it out of their policy, then there is no onus on them to exchange as legally they don't have to. But once they marlet the policy themselves, it forms part of the contract of sale.

A copy of the bank statement may suffice, as the receipt policy for exchanges to other goods / refund is there to ensure you actually bought the stuff. - Its worth a try and BE VERY NICE, flutter eyelids etc. :D (works with me every time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

This is untrue, I got a refund back to my credit card last week in Dundrum and have many times gotten refunds to my debit card.

OP I have often lost my Penneys receipt and brought back items to exchange (I never try anything on in the shop!!) and they have always let me get other goods to the same value. Just try again but do it very soon because you know with penneys they reduce stuff a week after it goes on sale and you will only get the value that the items are currently selling at.

Oh no I meant if you want a refund but don't have the credit/debit card you used for the transaction, they giuve you the value of the transaction onto a gift card, as they cannot process it normally without the credit card/debit card being present.

As for excahnging for other stuff up to the value without a receipt, I have been refused this and have seen loads of others being refused, with the OP stating that as well it seemed to suggest it is their policy.

Sorry corrupted, totally picked you up wrong re the credit card.

Yeh I guess it must be a fairly new policy then because I'm always losing my receipt and have never come up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you exchange the goods and then go back with this receipt to change to what you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Proof of purchase can legally be a bank statement.

If Penney's policy is refund on a receipt then you have no legal right to request a refund without a receipt. If the policy is refund on proof of purchase then you have a legal right to request a refund with the bank statement.

• Advertisement

Spidermany wrote: »

If Penney's policy is refund on a receipt then you have no legal right to request a refund without a receipt. If the policy is refund on proof of purchase then you have a legal right to request a refund with the bank statement.

BS, its proof a purchase was made,it may be accepted for big ticket items but a €40 entry showing Penneys is nto proof a certain item was purchased. This just proves €40 was spent there.

Well it's always worked for me and when I studied the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 we were told it's sufficient proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pennys want a reciept for change of mind.
    Refunds and Exchanges

Our refund and exchange policies are displayed in all of our stores at the customer services desk. A full refund or exchange will be offered to all customers in possession of a valid receipt, provided the merchandise is returned unworn or unused, with the original tags still attached, within 28 days from date of purchase.

Well it's always worked for me and when I studied the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 we were told it's sufficient proof of purchase.

show me proof, thats nonsense. some stores might accept it for a large single purchase item but for a dept store to accept it would be crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The thread is about Pennys taking back a change of mind article. In this case, the sale of goods act has no relevance as it is their own consumer policy and is way and above what they must offer legally and therefore they can insist on receipt only.

In the other argument, a bank statement MAY be sufficient proof of purchase, but not in all cases. As said, if you bought a TV for €479 and had a statement showing €479 paid to that store on the day, then the circumstantial evidence is very strong.

If however there was a sale of 76.55 and you were bringing back a €39 item, it could be argued that the evidence is not strong enough to say the €39 item was bought at thta time.

show me proof, thats nonsense. some stores might accept it for a large single purchase item but for a dept store to accept it would be crazy

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Our-booklets/NCA-Sale-of-goods.pdf - See page 5

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html - See if things go wrong

Bottom line is that the same rules of proof apply to a department store as apply to buying a once off big item like a TV.

Department stores do accept it, Penney's being case in point as I have done it. As a consumer it may be necessary to quote the legislation and request to see a manager and it may not be worth the hassle in all cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Our-booklets/NCA-Sale-of-goods.pdf - See page 5

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html - See if things go wrong

Bottom line is that the same rules of proof apply to a department store as apply to buying a once off big item like a TV.

Department stores do accept it, Penney's being case in point as I have done it. As a consumer it may be necessary to quote the legislation and request to see a manager and it may not be worth the hassle in all cases.

Don't understand the point you are making.

In the OP's case, the goods are not faulty, there is nothing wrong with them, they only picked the wrong size so there is no legal entitlement to the refund and in fact when you go to page 5 where you directed us to it is stated:

"
    What if the goods are not faulty
    and I have just changed my mind?
    While most shops are happy to exchange or
    refund goods in these circumstances, this is
    a gesture of goodwill. Under consumer
    legislation you have no right to exchange
    something or get a refund if you simply
    change your mind after buying the goods."

Godge wrote: »
    Don't understand the point you are making.

I was replying to a specific query from JimsAlterEgo - which I quoted to avoid any confusion.

Also I suggest you look again at page 5 as it definitely refers to "proof of purchase".

Again, my point is that a bank statement is a proof of purchase. I have used it successfully as such in Penney's for return of goods wrongly sized.

I had previously stated that a receipt may be necessary for a change of mind depending on Penney's returns policy. However, if it was me I would go into the Penney's store and request a refund based on the bank statement.

Advertisement