Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT decrease - Which services are going honour it?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

With todays VAT decrease, I thought it would be appropriate to create a topic to discuss which retailers are going to pass on the savings to customers and which arent.

Got an email today saying that Omniplex are going to reduce their prices.

€9.00 Adult admission will be reduced to €8.60 (4.4% reduction)
    €6.00 Child admission will be reduced to €5.70 (5.0% reduction)
    €6.50 Student/OAP admission will be reduced to €6.20 (4.5% reduction)
    €24.00 Family ticket (4 people) will be reduced to €22.80 (5.0% reduction)
    Overall, Omniplex Cinemas will reduce the mean average ticket price by 4.3%

Not a huge difference, but atleast some savings.

Anyone else know who has/hasnt dropped their prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

well not a guarantee that places will drop their prices and pass on the savings.. but places that are meant to, are places directly in the line of service with tourism...

restaurants, museums, art galleries, cinema, hairdressers blaa blaa...

just check your receipt from these places and if its not marked at 9% are you going to ask the proprietor why he hasnt passed on savings??

i probably wouldnt ask but id think about maybe not going back there next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

well not a guarantee that places will drop their prices and pass on the savings.. but places that are meant to, are places directly in the line of service with tourism...

restaurants, museums, art galleries, cinema, hairdressers blaa blaa...

just check your receipt from these places and if its not marked at 9% are you going to ask the proprietor why he hasnt passed on savings??

i probably wouldnt ask but id think about maybe not going back there next time!

Oh believe me, i wouldnt think twice about asking why they didnt pass on the savings to customers. They wouldnt hang around by raising their prices if VAT went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh believe me, i wouldnt think twice about asking why they didnt pass on the savings to customers. They wouldnt hang around by raising their prices if VAT went up.

Problem with this "measure" is that there is no obligation on businesses to reduce the rate - ridiculous, the measure should have been forced upon the related businesses with the pain of serious fines if they don't reduce it. Now we just have a situation where the "profit" margin CAN be increased if so wished:(

Interesting to see which businesses do and don't though !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Was reading a similar thread in the films forum,one place increased it's prices so when the new vat kicked in they were still making 10c extra per customer.:mad:

Practices like this really grind my gears.An all too familiar story in this country and needs to be eradicated.Maybe a name+shame campaign should be running.

Anyhow,off to the cinema tonight,wonder if it'll be any cheaper?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 James A Smith

Just to name and shame the folllowing

Gorey Cinema have kept the 4.5% decrease for them selves. I suggest as a mark of protest that customers buy no food in the cinema.

The Irish Daily mail have decided to keep the 4.5% for themselves as a pay rise. I suggest do like me and don't purchase the paper any more.

• Advertisement

I seen Greenacres have brought their prices inline with the new VAT rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Just to name and shame the folllowing

Gorey Cinema have kept the 4.5% decrease for them selves. I suggest as a mark of protest that customers buy no food in the cinema.

The Irish Daily mail have decided to keep the 4.5% for themselves as a pay rise. I suggest do like me and don't purchase the paper any more.

Yep. Didn't buy the mail on sunday because of it, and won't be buying it this week either.

Was there at weekend, The Lotus House and Macari's DID NOT reduce their VAT rates:mad:.

They have stated in their ad in the local papers that they've cut prices due to vat decerease,no mention of Wexford Cineplex doing it though.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Was there at weekend, The Lotus House and Macari's DID NOT reduce their VAT rates:mad:.

Hi Vic,

Did you ask them why not? :D

• Advertisement

Hi Vic,

Did you ask them why not? biggrin.gif

No I didn't get them, I wasn't actually in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

zerks wrote: »
    They have stated in their ad in the local papers that they've cut prices due to vat decerease,no mention of Wexford Cineplex doing it though.

Wexford Cineplex has been closed for a few years ;) Wexford Omniplex have reduced there prices as Ward Anderson sent out a press release reading new prices.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Wexford Cineplex has been closed for a few years ;) Wexford Omniplex have reduced there prices as Ward Anderson sent out a press release reading new prices.

Cineplex,Omniplex,Suplex,Durex......A man get's confused:D Nice to see they passed on the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

The Book Centre passed on the VAT on their coffees

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Gorey Cinema has definitely dropped prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

I was out for food twice the weekend, Lotts Bar and Restaurant in Templebar HAVE NOT reduced prices

Eddie Rockets in Dundrum HAVE NOT reduced prices.

I intend to ring both to speak to management and ask why not, didnt feel like asking while out with friends!;)

i wont be returning to either if they are not going to bring them down

I was out for food twice the weekend, Lotts Bar and Restaurant in Templebar HAVE NOT reduced prices

I intend to ring both to speak to management and ask why not, didnt feel like asking while out with friends!wink.gif

Ya posted in the Wexford forum !! Maybe the Dublin one would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MrsG09

vicwatson wrote: »

I intend to ring both to speak to management and ask why not, didnt feel like asking while out with friends!wink.gif

Ya posted in the Wexford forum !! Maybe the Dublin one would be better.

Oooppps! Thanks

Advertisement