Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So engineering degree got. what now?

• 01-07-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Im new to this boards craic so be nice ha

I just completed an industrial engineering degree level 8 and am trying to find related to it. But with each rejection im thinking about doing a masters in 2012. my real passion is radio and sport. Just wondering has anyone done or know anyone who went from an engineering degree to a h dip or masters in something like sport journalism or radio?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

flirt fm are looking for volunteers for current affairs presenters- might be a good way to learn how to use a mixing desk. they have a cool new fancy studio too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

If you've got gaeilge you could look into the radio/communications courses that NUIG offer through the Acadamh in Carraroe. They're funded by Údarás na Gaeltachta too afaik, so you get a maintenance grant while you do it. But you would need a reasonable level of fluency in the language.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Magnos wrote: »
    Im new to this boards craic so be nice ha

I just completed an industrial engineering degree level 8 and am trying to find related to it. But with each rejection im thinking about doing a masters in 2012. my real passion is radio and sport. Just wondering has anyone done or know anyone who went from an engineering degree to a h dip or masters in something like sport journalism or radio?
    I did Industrial Engineering too, Work is hard to come by in Ireland but there are options abroad, especially the UK, I have since done a Masters in Environmental systems as this is what I wanted to do originally but have still had no joy with finding the right Job so I am currently doing voluntary work and getting the most out of the part time job I have to try and build the CV.

You could try getting work through an agency for Boston Scientific or Medtronic, as far as I know they are hiring. It could prove to be valuable experience for you. The disadvantages of the agency work though are that you will have very little employment rights and they can let you go at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magnos

I did Industrial Engineering too, Work is hard to come by in Ireland but there are options abroad, especially the UK, I have since done a Masters in Environmental systems as this is what I wanted to do originally but have still had no joy with finding the right Job so I am currently doing voluntary work and getting the most out of the part time job I have to try and build the CV.

You could try getting work through an agency for Boston Scientific or Medtronic, as far as I know they are hiring. It could prove to be valuable experience for you. The disadvantages of the agency work though are that you will have very little employment rights and they can let you go at any time

Thanks for the reply.
    Last yr i did placement in boston scientific, im applying away to jobs in the UK. Do you mind me asking where did you do that masters? I got a 2.1 in my hons degree but its a bit late to apply for masters this yr.

• Advertisement

I did it in GMIT, I'm not sure if it is running next year though, here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magnos

I did it in GMIT, I'm not sure if it is running next year though, here it is

cheers for that.

How did u find it? was in gmit the last 4 yrs myself

It was a new course when I did it so there were hiccups but overall I enjoyed it. It covered a lot of environmental areas and there were people doing it from a range of undergrad courses. I got the impression that the second year they were doing it was going to be a lot better organised. It was a difficult course due to the workload but if you put the time into it you should be fine.

Advertisement