Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covered by management fees or our own expense

Options
  • 01-07-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Had a thread in the plumbing section wondering what could be causing our water pump to be staying on (that's the sound you hear when turning on a tap) even after tap is off, toilet is flushed or washing machine finished.

Anyway, had a plumber out today and he said it is a cracked pump and a fair amount of leaking had occurred. Hot press floor was wet etc

I was quoted €600 for new pump and labour.

Is this a management company issue? Do our fees cover this? Do our fees include home insurance?

Naive of me to pay fees without knowing exactly what I get other than a hedge cut and a grass mow.

CL Wood bottom of the duplexes if that matters

Dar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ooh, quite a dilemma you have there. If it is a cracked pump, could it be caused by wear and tear? With most insurance policies (regardless of whether you are under your own buildings insurance or the management company block insurance) there can be exclusions which exclude for wear and tear. Unless you can prove it is accidental damage say, you might have a case. Did the plumber say what the cause was? Are there any known common faults with your particular model of pump?

If in the end the insurance does cover it, what is the excess on the policy? There could be an excess of €500 on a block policy - so is it worth your while chasing the insurance company cause you'll have to shed out the first €500?!

Best of look with it. Talk with the Management Company first anyway to see where you can take it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Pump would be out of warranty and not covered by builders bond

I've had to replace mine and went through all of this.

Management fees only cover common areas not inside dwellings.

The only time your insurance would cover this would be to repair any damage caused by the leak but not the cost of the pump.

You're better off paying for it yourself because you'll end up paging fir it anyway and end up waiting forever arguing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I just got my pump replaced from one of the recommendations on the stickie list - it was only 380...

Maybe get a 2nd price - the price you were given seems very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Taltos wrote: »
    I just got my pump replaced from one of the recommendations on the stickie list - it was only 380...

Maybe get a 2nd price - the price you were given seems very high.

+1 the pump itself is only about €150, and it's not a big job, fairly straight forward.€600 sounds like a rip off tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

+1 the pump itself is only about €150, and it's not a big job, fairly straight forward.€600 sounds like a rip off tbh.

Have you had any problems since?

When the plumber was here he rang the suppliers and had the phone on loudspeaker and I heard him say that particular pump was €330 + VAT @21%.

Great I'll get a second price guys. Thanks for all your input and feedback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

darsar wrote: »
    Have you had any problems since?

When the plumber was here he rang the suppliers and had the phone on loudspeaker and I heard him say that particular pump was €330 + VAT @21%.

Great I'll get a second price guys. Thanks for all your input and feedback

Doesn't sound right ,B&Q do the pump for about €150, heres a similar one ,a shower pump fits right onto the mains, give them a ring.

linky

It's the english site but they do these pumps over here

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Try some of the numbers here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055816710

I rang two of them and got prices and times.
    One of them was able to call around early the following Saturday so I did not have to miss work - just brilliant. - He was in and out in just under the hour.

Advertisement