Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula for toddlers

Options
  • 01-07-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

It is my babies 1st Birthday today & I am wondering should I switch from formula to cows milk or switch to the toddler follow on formula. I have read so much info that there is not enough iron in cows milk to ensure baby gets his daily requirement, but that if he has the follow on formula his iron intake will be sufficient. Does anyone have any recommendations on same???:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Cow's milk + proper meals

Everyone (including our PHN) has said that follow-on formula is a waste of money - a proper diet will more than suffice.

(happy birthday baby, btw) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's a marketing scam. That ad with the giant cup of milk drives me mental! It's based on you not feeding your child anything else. I seriously don't know how they get away with it:mad:

I gradually changed formula feeds for cow's milk and he's been on cow's milk only since 12 months, not a bother. Just make sure he's eating good meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

The ad itself says that cows milk is not a good source of iron so the comparison is skewed. Good sources of iron are red meat and green leafy veggies (cabbage, kale, broccoli etc). My daughter would not eat meat for me so I gave her eggs instead. PHN said that was great. A good all round diet will suffice. Good luck feeding toddlers can be tricky! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mothere

Thx so much for replies, it confirms what I thought that it is a warped marketing tool. I make all my LO meals & he is a good all round eater so I guess it's time to put away the steriliser, switch to cows milk & adapt to having a toddler, rather than a baby:( How did it go so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I have tried a few times to put my daughter on cows milk but it just doesn't agree with her. I put her on cows milk at one stage for 2 weeks and she was sick the whole time.

I have her on toddler milk still and shes 18 months. I put milk on her cereal but for her bottles its SMA 3. Milk really upsets her tummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

have you tried soy milk or goat's milk? can she have other dairy products or is it only straight milk that upsets her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Just seems to be normal milk... never actually thought of goat or soy milk. Thanks! I'll give them a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son is 2 and 4months and he still gets a bottle of formula milk going to bed at night. I think if I took that from him he would be gutted. That said he will drink cows milk anytime I give him that either.

They can have both and be happy:)

Advertisement