Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UPC] 25 cent deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacp

Haha, I was being facetious! They're adverting the telephone add-on for 25cent extra. But in reality you have to pay full amount for the 25Mb broadband and 25cent for the telephone!

Ah, sorry, I didn't pick up on that! Yeah, that seems to be the UPC way alright!

mollser wrote: »
    It also says
    "I would like to add Home Phone with Freetime World to my UPC subscription and increase my Fibre Power Broadband speed to 25Mb for just 25c extra a month."

This all seemed very clear at the time, however the one nagging doubt I always had was "This would normally cost €14 extra a month" line thrown in. Upgrading my speed from 12 to 25 would cost €10, + Freetime World which is €14 a month, total €24 a month saving I'd make.

i have held off on cancelling Blueface until I see my next bill for this very reason. I've printed the notice especially to quote from it if they try and pull a fast one.

One final thing, if various people did not qualify for this offer, or it was going to cost more than 25c a month, I would have expected them to notify said person in advance before activating the upgrade.

Bill is not until the 7th of next month so will be following this thread with interest:eek:

Good point, any customer-specific offer would definitely require some form of authentication, or at least notification that the customer does/does not qualify for the offer.

(edit) Also, I forgot to mention that I received no correspondence (print or email) from UPC after filling out the small online form, have others experience this too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

rtojdx.jpg

20qkg3t.jpg

2pqjihg.jpg

Unregistered - Great, that's good to know, thanks for posting

Do keep us updated! Be sure to have a pen and paper when you're on the phone

So, I just got a callback from a much more helpful UPC reprasentative (Helena was her name). After explaining that they only intended for the 25 cent offer to get sent to particular customers, she returned my monthly billing amount to €51 for TV and broadband. Much more reasonable, unlike the suggestion this morning that I'd incur a fee of €100 to do so.

I'm not bothered chasing up all the various details (paying for a handset, upgrading to 25mb, etc), so I'm glad to just leave this offer go.

• Advertisement

cormacp wrote: »
    So, I just got a callback from a much more helpful UPC reprasentative (Helena was her name). After explaining that they only intended for the 25 cent offer to get sent to particular customers, she returned my monthly billing amount to €51 for TV and broadband. Much more reasonable, unlike the suggestion this morning that I'd incur a fee of €100 to do so.

I'm not bothered chasing up all the various details (paying for a handset, upgrading to 25mb, etc), so I'm glad to just leave this offer go.
    How did you upgrade in the first place? By filling out the form on the 25cent deal page or did you ring them?

How did you upgrade in the first place? By filling out the form on the 25cent deal page or did you ring them?

I signed up by filling out the online form, seems odd that they'd make a supposedly customer-limited offer widely available on their website.

cormacp wrote: »
    I signed up by filling out the online form, seems odd that they'd make a supposedly customer-limited offer widely available on their website.
    It really does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just to add my 2 cents, I didn't receive any flyer in the post and still got the deal. Signed up on line and and got upgraded the next day. Never got any callback from them but the speed test shows that I have been upgraded to 25Mb and I plugged in a phone to the router and it has an active number on it!

1407608704.png

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Signed up for this and my next bill is showing €103, was €58 per month.

WTF!

Awaiting a reply from customer services...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I've just made my 11th or 12th call to customer services over 2-3 weeks to try and get to someone who knows something in UPC to talk to me about this...and they hung up on me after being on hold for 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

deadlast wrote: »
    Signed up for this and my next bill is showing €103, was €58 per month.

WTF!

Awaiting a reply from customer services...

Same here, rang them and the girl said shed never heard of the offer lol. Right hand doesn't speak to the left hand in there.

Have sent an email off to online sales telling them to cancel it all if I didn't qualify for it. I wouldn't be bothered chasing this deal either. will see what comes of it!

This is getting really aggravating. I've gotten a text from UPC saying my direct debit is going up to €66.36 up from €30.75 - This is all from me submitting a webform saying "I would like to add Home Phone with Freetime World to my UPC subscription and increase my Fibre Power Broadband speed to 25Mb for just 25c extra a month.". I have been trying to contact them since July 15 about this and keep getting the run around from different departments.

At this stage I am considering cancelling my direct debit in order to get some attention off them. I was happy with them up a month ago, I want to stay with them and this isn't the way I want to go but they are trying to over charge me and not doing anything to reconcile the matter.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

Ring them and ask to be put through to billing and get them to answer this question:
    "Why has my bill gone up from €30.75 to €66.36.?".

If only it were so simple. I have on numerous occasions and the answer is - 'because you've been signed up for 25mb fibre broadband and free time world' . Then I explain what I signed up for and they agree with me and tell me they understand and are escalating the issue and someone will be in touch with me within x hours. That's how it has been since July 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Perhaps it is time for people who are getting no satisfaction from UPC to make an official complaint:

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/Customer%20Charter.pdf

How to Register a Complaint
    There are a number of ways in which you can register a complaint. You will need to provide your
    account number as a reference and, in any written correspondence, should outline the nature of
    the complaint.

By freephone:
    Customer Care Centre: Freephone 1908
    Opening hours: Monday – Saturday: 9am to 10pm, Sunday: 10am to 10pm,
    Bank holidays: 10am to 10pm

By letter:
    A letter outlining the nature of the complaint and associated account number addressed to:
    Complaints Department, UPC, PO Box 465, Limerick Enterprise Development Park, Roxboro
    Road, Limerick.

By email:
    Email outlining the nature of the complaint and associated customer account number to:
    customer.support@upc.ie

Perhaps the best way is by snail mail as companys seem to take more interest in letters for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

same problems here. theyre starting to really piss me off at this stage. everyone has a different story when you ring up and then you get an email or a text saying something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Any recommendations for a cheap phone that works with UPC?

Upgraded to this deal yesterday and the new modems coming tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

groom wrote: »
    This is getting really aggravating. I've gotten a text from UPC saying my direct debit is going up to €66.36 up from €30.75 - This is all from me submitting a webform saying "I would like to add Home Phone with Freetime World to my UPC subscription and increase my Fibre Power Broadband speed to 25Mb for just 25c extra a month.". I have been trying to contact them since July 15 about this and keep getting the run around from different departments.

At this stage I am considering cancelling my direct debit in order to get some attention off them. I was happy with them up a month ago, I want to stay with them and this isn't the way I want to go but they are trying to over charge me and not doing anything to reconcile the matter.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

If you contact them and tell them that you are disputing an amount then they have no right to issue that direct debit. It is clearly stated in the rules of the direct debit scheme that disputed amounts should not be debited:

Trust and the Direct Debit
    The Direct Debit Instruction requires the customer to pre-authorise the debiting of (usually)
    unspecified amounts which will be notified to him. The pre-authorisation may be by means of a
    signed DDI or instruction (under Direct Debit Plus Rules) provided by the Payer, via the Originator, to
    the Paying Bank.
    The essence of such an arrangement is that of the total integrity of and trust in the Scheme. All
    Participants must work together to ensure that such integrity and trust is maintained. For such
    purposes Participants assume certain responsibilities as listed below:
    · Originators must put in place reliable systems and which will ensure:
    o the issuance of correct advance notification as appropriate of amounts to be debited
    o that Direct Debits as issued conform to Payer instructions and the Rules of the Scheme
    o that disputed amounts are not debited
    o that procedures for terminating the Direct Debit are put in place
    o that the Originator will settle indemnity claims under or pursuant to the Scheme within 10 days
    o that all other responsibilities of the Originator under or pursuant to the Scheme are adhered to

Companies (and banks) are blissfully ignorant of the driect debit scheme rules.

Further information here:

http://www.ipso.ie/section/ConsumerCornerDirectDebits

If you have any problems with UPC geting these amounts corrected before they bill you then get on directly to IPSO and complain to them. They are forever claiming that there is nothing wrong with the scheme!:mad:

Snail mail sent!

And I got onto the cust service line and told them the shouldn't be taking the DD because I was disputing the amount and the guy said he's get it cancelled which then said he did so hopefully it is.

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Same thing happened with us, charged install fee also (even though it was self install)

Absolutely nothing about the extra charges on the offer page.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this offer is open to Broadband only customers?

Currently paying E34.00 (20Mb down/ 2Mb up) + E7.75 (standalone charge) per month

I would be interested in 50Mb 'For just €5 extra a month you can double your speed to 50Mb'

So E35.00+E5.00 (50Mb down/5Mb up) + 0.25 (phone) per month

Thanks.

Hiya,

I just cancelled my TV (Digital box) with them this week I ended up getting Sky, but I kept my broadband. I was told about that E7.75 standalone charge per month by UPC who told me if I was to take the phone for E6.00 a month I'd actually be saving myself E1.75 and I'd have a phone. So I ended up going for it. I was told that I'd have to get a new modem though because my one wouldn't support a phone. I could also buy the phone from them for E15.00 but I thought I'd pick one up cheaper, might actually ring them and tell them I'll take the phone because I haven't seen one any cheaper elsewhere. So I hope this might help someone out that's paying the stand alone charge and doesn't have the phone.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You can get corded phones in Argos for something like a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I signed up for another deal, it around 2.50 more. I can't find the invite letter. Did anyone else get that one? It brought me up to 50mbs, phone and digital + max. My bill has soared to 111 a month as a result. I can't explain why it's 40euro more then advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Getting fed up with them now - have put in two calls, one of which the fella escallated and an email to the online sales team, not one response yet.

Next call is to customer retention team after lunch, they seem to be the only guys who can do anything about anything.

Funny, I got a call from a courier yesterday with a new digital tv box - have no idea why this is on the way to me. This is one grotesque f*** up by UPC.

mollser wrote: »
    Getting fed up with them now - have put in two calls, one of which the fella escallated and an email to the online sales team, not one response yet.

Next call is to customer retention team after lunch, they seem to be the only guys who can do anything about anything.

Funny, I got a call from a courier yesterday with a new digital tv box - have no idea why this is on the way to me. This is one grotesque f*** up by UPC.
    I was on hold with them for 17 mins today, then she said she'd have to ring me back. She never did.... ****

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

UPC have a dedicated retentions team who are pretty good and giving stuff away for free. It's best to call them early in the day.
    If you tell them you want to cancel they will fix your issue. Also, if they say that you're breaking a contract by cancelling, if they haven't been able to provide you with a proper service they can't hold you to a contract. Take note of each person you speak with and the times you call as you may need these if you decide to write in and complain.
    Lastly, you can get pretty much anything from UPC/Eircom/Vdf and the likes by saying you want to cancel. They (retentions) are paid on a saving customer basis, so they will work with you in terms of price etc to ensure you stay with them.

I got some resolution on this. I rang 1908 and asked to be put through to the Cancellations Dept. They hung up on me the first attempt. 2nd attempt the guy didn't give in straight away but pretty easily said he'd give me a total reduction of €11pm off my bill for 12 months. He said I should call back in 12 months to try get the same again. End result for me is that I'll be paying exactly what I initially would have expected and I'm getting a credit for the excess amount I was forced to pay in my last bill.

Just before I had this breakthrough I had received a very quick and interested response from the National Consumer Agency about the matter. So if my solution above doesn't work then get onto them. PM me for the Case# they gave me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

They messed up my upgrade too. My bill is coming in at €91 where it should only be about €78. Had a feeling it was going to happen as I had to ring up to get the offer activated. When I rang the woman hadn't a clue what offer I was on about. Turns out she put me on some more expensive bundle instead.

Rang today to sort it out and the woman was much more helpful but now I have to wait on a call back. She did say that I wasn't actually eligible for the offer but that they will try and get me a good deal when they call back. Damn right they will, if I wasn't eligible, I shouldn't have been aloud sign up.

The waiting game begins!

• Advertisement

During my third phonecall about this on monday, I asked to speak with a supervisor. She told me the exact same thing and I still haven't heard anything.
    This is by far the worst customer service i've ever experienced! I've cancelled my direct debit before they took the money though. They won't be getting a penny till this is resolved.

Advertisement