Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a farce.

• 01-07-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

Any one see this?

01/07/2011 - 13:23:23
    The jury has been discharged in the case of a Limerick man charged with attempted murder in the city last year, after the trial was unable to go ahead at the Central Criminal Court today.

Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan told the jury of three men and nine women that there was no judge available to try the case, and he had to "regrettably discharge you as the case cannot go on".

Twenty-nine-year-old Shane Mason, of Sean Hueston Place in Limerick city, had pleaded not guilty to the attempted murder of Daniel Philips at St John's Square in the city, on May 24, 2010.

He had also denied two other charges of recklessly causing serious harm to Mr Philips on the same date, and possession of a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life in relation to the same incident.

Mason was remanded in custody and the case is due to go ahead at a later date.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-murder-case-cannot-go-on-as-no-judge-available-to-hear-it-511180.html#ixzz1QrhDnXRi

Great little country this.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Were all the judges getting fitted for their wigs or something?
    Stupid decision is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

phill106 wrote: »
    Were all the judges getting fitted for their wigs or something?
    Stupid decision is stupid.
    Im baffled by this.Its astonishing.An attempted murder trial, jury picked but no judge available.You wouldnt see this in the Simpsons ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Thats why they call it the sausage factory!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No doubt the judges were busy passing sentence on cases involving really serious crime like non payment of tv licences and the like.

At least the scumbag involved is still locked up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

whats the fuss about?

No Judge,
    Trial at later date

WOW

Big news, I'm angry, I shout 'this is a farce!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

hatz7 wrote: »
    whats the fuss about?

No Judge,
    Trial at later date

WOW

Could be because judges are paid very very well, and people feel they should work harder for their money, especially considering that despite the country being broke, judges didn't feel a pay cut to them was constitutional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

whats the fuss about?

No Judge,
    Trial at later date

WOW

Well given that the trial was organised months in advance and the jury was organised and turned up on the day in question, one would expect that the judge part of the trial would have been in place as well, especially for a serious case like this.

So the taxpayer's money was wasted in transporting the guy on trial, on having to have gardai present for the case, on the jury and any other associated costs, but no judge is available so the same costs will have to be applied a second time for the same case.

Would not be surprised to see the guy on trial try for a case against the state based on stress caused and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Maybe the judge that was supposed to hear the case took ill or had a family emergency and had to take time off work. Are we now suggesting that we have a panel of judges ready to take these cases or remand the defendant until a new date can be arranged? I know which option I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

The wheels of justice take their time in moving, there is nothing new about that.

Being bitter about judge pay? that's your problem.
    Judges do work hard for their pay, you don't just walk into a judges chair.

The trial is being set for a later date, much ado about nothing,

The wheels of justice take their time in moving, there is nothing new about that.

Being bitter about judge pay? that's your problem.
    Judges do work hard for their pay, you don't just walk into a judges chair.

The trial is being set for a later date, much ado about nothing,
    Theres a touch of a solicitors response there.ah sure tis only a waste of peoples time and money.What harm?;).

• Advertisement

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Theres a touch of a solicitors response there.ah sure tis only a waste of peoples time and money.What harm?;).

In this case what was the dept to do, we dont know why the judge wasn't available. Leaving their high wages and their unusal judgements out of it, this is a storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Where in his post did he mention wasting either of those things?

phog wrote: »
    Maybe the judge that was supposed to hear the case took ill or had a family emergency and had to take time off work. Are we now suggesting that we have a panel of judges ready to take these cases or remand the defendant until a new date can be arranged? I know which option I'd go for.
    So why on earth werent the picked jurors informed beforehand? Look, something like this would NEVER happen in the U.S. Its an attempted murder charge!!Bloody hell.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Where in his post did he mention wasting either of those things?
    Well if you want to be pedantic he didnt happen to mention it.But the fact is that solicitors get paid by the hour(usually paid by the taxpayer:mad:-when the poor misfortunate defendant claims FREE LEGAL AID:mad:.)Tis the Irish way.Poor aul(millionaire) Wayne Dundon is claiming free legal aid coz he only earns 170 euro a week selling horses.Give me a break FFS.The whole legal system in Ireland is nuts.The Gardai do their best, only to see judges let people off with 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances time and again.Thats my tuppence worth.:)

So why on earth werent the picked jurors informed beforehand? Look, something like this would NEVER happen in the U.S. Its an attempted murder charge!!Bloody hell.

I dont get your point.

The fact of the matter remains that case hasn't collapsed and will be heard on antoehr date.

Advertisement