Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACL prehab & rehab

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Dr Nic wrote: »
    connollys wrote: »
    Best of luck with the rehab, this is where the work really kicks in, had it done myself last year and luckily havent had any issues since. Never got any brace for it though like mentioned in earlier post, feel kinda left out now :)

Thanks!
    I have to say the beacon is the best hospital I've ever been in.
    fantastic care, excellent surgeon, included cryo cuff. Really top stuff...

Hard work begins now. No pain, 110 degrees flexion.
    What's the story with pain guys? I'm asking cause I've got very little until I start to push the hardest physio exercises. And I'm only taking my difene.

I did a **** tonne of physical & mental prep for this but also in general over the years and it seems to have worked. 2 mile jog everyday for last 6/8 weeks. Foam rolling. 30 set pistols ass to grass. Ghr. Etc. Etc

Mentally has been far far more important it seems. Really delighted with my pain control.
    I was pretty much ready to ditch my crutches yesterday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

I was in the same boat, didnt even bother using all my difene or painkillers, saved for inevitable other injuries from playing football.

Once you can walk without a limp dump the crutches, if can walk without them but not as normal keep using them til its right. I know I was down to one very quickly as we in the house on me own, so carrying a cup of tea or a plate or anything was just too much hassle when using two.

Im definitely taking all my difenes to get the swelling down asap.

My surgeon said he doesnt care when i ditch the crutches so they're gone since day 2. No limp really.

Been doing my physio exercises 4x per day which is about 2 hours work. Then icing about 10x per day for another 15 mins each. All is coming along nicely

Right knee is now 16.75". It was 18" Left knee is 16.5" So a little bit of swelling and the bandage makes up the quarter inch difference

Right quad 6" proximal to epicondyle of femur is about half an inch less than left.

Right knee can be flexed to 90degree and fully extended under gravity. Havent weight borne yet. Anything more than 90degrees really feels tight in my knee. Also i get very slight pangs from my shin when i flex more than 90. Possibly stitches?

My goal for day 14 is 90degrees unassisted flexion, walk with no limp.

Im day 6 now and already hitting those goals. im about 70degrees unassisted ham curl flexion against gravity - so a bit of work to do there yet...

Very good progress though and touch wood the cruciate op doesnt seem to be the horror rehab others have spoken about. Touch wood ;)

Day 10.
    Well the pain never came. Havent taken any pain killers. Finished my difenes 2 days ago.
    Right knee is now just than 16.25". Left knee (unoperated one) in 16". Little bit of swelling to go but not much.

Icing my knee about 10 a day. 12 exercises, 4 sets of each exercise 4x per day.
    Knee flexion is 90degrees now unassisted against gravity. Hamstrings & quads starting to contract again nicely. Maybe half an inch lost off my right quad but not a huge amount.

The next big day is Thursday when i meet Mr Nelligan again, get the stitches out and get a progress update.

That will be day 15. We'll see what happens.

Very happy with the knee and my progress. I'll probably go back to work on Tuesday/Wednesday

3.5 weeks out now...

Limp almost completely gone.
    Full extension on seated leg extension almost. like 170 degress or something.
    Cycling 1 hour per day on my road bike. Normal saddle and no problems wiht mobility.
    1 leg pistol squats to a chair at 90 degree knee flexion. 3x7, 3x per day

Knee flexion max is probanly 120 degrees maybe. Getting more every day, but the damn screws are very sore to touch especially if i kneel down.

Knee still feels 'full' sometimes with fluid. Also hamstrings feel tight sometimes.
    But other days then everything feels great...

Hoping to do some jogging in the next 10 days or so...
    We'll see
    Moderately with recovery so far

• Advertisement

jogged 1 km under 6mins this am. < 5weeks out
    We're on the road again lol.

Limp completely gone. lunges & step ups no problem.
    Joggin every day this week is on the menu.

Next big move on the recovery will be plyos next week - week 6.

2 months ahead of recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

all sounds great, be careful enough with the plyo work but ya know yourself how ya feel and how far you can push it really.

4k in 17:30 this week. came 28th out of 180 runners.
    sprinting full session this am

8wks out, rehab is pretty much over :-)

Advertisement