Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused with psu!!! Ghetto style gpu upgrading!

Options
  • 01-07-2011 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

hey lads, some of you allready noticed me trolling abit in this part of forums. :p

i am seriuosly looking in to very cheap upgrade for my pc.

its old dell xps420

q6600 2.4ghz
    3gb ram
    8800GT
    640gb
    dells 375 PSU ( has to be prety solid as it handles 8800gt perfectly which needs minimum 400)

I want to squize a bit more life out of it. its 4.5 years old system and it newer let me down! Due to some big spending in next 2 months i cant afford new system untill autumn, but i could squize a few quid for a tiny upgrade.

so Best i could think off: get best gpu that my psu could handle!

here comes the confused part: everyone recomends 700+++ psu to run even tetris, but does it even need that?! i checked few forums and i get even more confused. Some people run 550ti with 400 psu. athers then say that 550ti takes more power then 6850/70, and gives better performance. 6850 recommended psu is 500... the more i read in, more confused i am... i even discovered that they recomend 600psu for 8800gt where it runs on 375 in my pc for allmoust 5 years...

misses is in austria now, she checked in a few prices for me on gpus. Its more expencive then online shops, but it will be less hassel with delevery and delevery charges.

so what best gpu i can drop in to get max performance with same 375 psu?

this what my misses found in austria:

geforce gtx 550ti 129eu

hd5770 99eu 1024mb version

hd6870 179eu

so far lads said that i could have 5770 with no problem at all, what about rest? and what gpus i could look in to? i got time till next friday ;)

THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I may be wrong, but the 6850 isn't very power hungry at all, might be worth looking into?
    Have you considered buying a cheapo PSU from adverts/eBay/DoneDeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mister Man wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but the 6850 isn't very power hungry at all, might be worth looking into?
    Have you considered buying a cheapo PSU from adverts/eBay/DoneDeal?

i newer thought of second hand psu... newer knew someone would sell it :o.

would 6850 still need better psu then so? what would be bare minimum? i am not looking in to upgrading for this pc. it will be as a secondary pc in the house for misses when i get new pc. she does not play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I have a similar machine here but with a 8600GT and I have been looking at what I could do for an upgrade. I have been using this website (http://www.hwcompare.com/5995/geforce-8800-gt-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/) to check the stats against my own it's handy to see the difference especially because it gives the watts needed for the card.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I have a similar machine here but with a 8600GT and I have been looking at what I could do for an upgrade. I have been using this website (http://www.hwcompare.com/5995/geforce-8800-gt-512mb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/) to check the stats against my own it's handy to see the difference especially because it gives the watts needed for the card.

i have to say: THANK YOU FOR THAT WEBSITE! :eek:

5770 and 550ti will be same as 8800gt in power drain. so spot on!

5870 is 50 watt more! will i be pushing? i would plane to play on 1650x1050 ress, not " so called full hd these days :rolleyes:" ressolution.

what could be the worse to happen if i put 6870 in to my pc and psu will be a bit low? will i be able just find a better psu or will i burn my system?

i really want to go for 6870 as it will push away date to buy new pc quite alot!

guys. i am doing some more research and looks like dells 375 can handle 6850/70 prety well!

i got a problem thought, i can find only one 6 pin connectors which is used by 8800 gt.

i read that you can make anather 6 pin with special connectors that are supplied with card. i dont even know if i got them to make 6 pin...

i got these spare connectors coming from psu:
    after some reasearch i finded out its

4 pin molex power connector
    4 pin floppy connector ( oh god... )

cant see any ather spare cables.

so will there be ( or is it even possible) adapter to make that molex connector in to 6 pin?

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#peripheral

it says here it is used for such reasons.

• Advertisement

okay i see loads of views, but all advices thined out, when we being more specific.

so 6870 needs 151wat and uses 2 6 pin connectors, by the looks of it these connectors are 150wat each. thats why i need 2... 150 + 1.

i need 2xmolex connectors to make anather 6 pin one, but i got only 1 molex out there, but 2 spare SATAs. i found on amazon SATA to molex adapter, they are only 2 paunds each, but the awesome part is - delevery 24paunds... and i cant pick super saver delevery method... RAGE!

would maplins in cork have them? or you know anather spot to get those?

Advertisement