Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should religion be taught in schools?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JMcG92

Children should be taught about religion, all religions in fact. This is the best way to show up their fallacies.
    Besides the fact that it's based on myths and legends that nobody over the age of seven should, in their right minds, take seriously, religion serves only to create a barrier between people. This leads to mistrust an hate for no good reason. We need look no further than the troubles in our own country to see this.
    I'm talking about religious beliefs, mind you, not morality. They are not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That is the most twisted, bigotted, closed minded downright delusional post I have ever read. You're so out of touch with reality it's not even funny. I've never been called a heretic before, that's a good one, a heretic for thinking that everyone should be treated equally. denceless children? aggressive anti-catholic children? What the hell are you talking about?

1. I don't have kids

2. If I did how the fcuk would you know if they're aggressive?

3. If I did they wouldn't be anti-anything, except maybe anti-bigottry.

4. You suck

And just for the record, I technically am bloody catholic!!

Things are getting serious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Do these people realise that they are the ones giving religion a bad name?
    All the nutzo religious people spreading the lords word and what not just give rise to others laughing at them and becoming unwilling to respect or understand their beliefs.

Obviously most people with a religious faith are 'normal' and conduct themselves as such.

But my god, some of the crackpots!
    Are they trolls or completely serious?
    I can't tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

That is the most twisted, bigotted, closed minded downright delusional post I have ever read. You're so out of touch with reality it's not even funny. I've never been called a heretic before, that's a good one, a heretic for thinking that everyone should be treated equally. denceless children? aggressive anti-catholic children? What the hell are you talking about?

1. I don't have kids

4. You suck

Never allow these mouth breathing neanderthals anger you.

for the record "heretic" means "able to choose". wear it with honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

cant hurt posting this here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And what, precisely, are 'rational people'? People of the same leanings as yourself? Did many people not argue that the world was round -- and not flat? And were laughed out of town?
    No, not at all.
    People might have argued the world was flat and been laughed out of town.
    We have known the world is round for 1000's of years, the Greeks measured its diameter quite accurately in around 200 BC.
    The only people who might have claimed it was flat would have been the more uneducated members of society, who would say "look around you, it has to be flat" while ignoring the (well known and abundant) scientific evidence to the contrary.
    It is actually a point here for science, in the science v's trusting the (seemingly) obvious debate. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

crucamim wrote: »
    No, sir, you have it all wrong. It is not up to Catholic schools to change in order to cater for heretics. The onus is on you heretics to establish your own schools - just as Catholics did for themselves.

You have a right to refuse to pray alongside Catholics. At the same time, Catholics have a right to refuse to allow their dear children to be taught by you or by any other anti-Catholic. They also have a right to refise to allow their defenceless, little children to share a classroom or playground with your aggressive, anti-Catholic children.

Brother. Ask yourself. What would Jesus think of your post........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I dont believe that it should be taught in schools. I dont think a choice should be forced on children at a young age, they should be free to choose what religion they want, not feel uncomfortable with a religion that they dont believe in. I was christened a catholic and i dont bloody care, I hate religion and all associated staples with it. And I wont be forcing it on my kids....

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    But they are also state-funded schools, so the state decides.

The State does not fund schools or anything else. Taxpayers do and many taxpayers are Catholics.

1. I don't have kids

4. You suck

Given the content and tone of so many of your posts, I find it hard to believe that children of yours would not be aggressive anti-Catholics.

And I find it strange that a person who does not have children is showing so much interest in how and where Catholic children are taught.

• Advertisement

Brother. Ask yourself. What would Jesus think of your post........

He would probably think that I was being cautious and would suspect (rightly) that my caution is the result of sad experience of anti-Catholics.

Again, state schools. The catholic church can change as much or as little as it likes or needs to survive, but the schools are state run and state funded.

Catholic schools are not State run, they are Catholic run and are only part-funded by the taxpayer. Just as Protestant schools are managed by the Protestant churches and are part-funded by the taxpayers.

Not all the kids in the school are going to be Catholics

That has to change. Only the children of practising Catholics should be allowed into a Catholic school. Catholic children have a right to be educated in safety from anti-Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,283 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The State does not fund schools or anything else. Taxpayers do and many taxpayers are Catholics.
    Catholic school are not State run, they are Catholic run and are only part-funded by the taxpayer. Just as Protestant schools are managed by the Protestant churches and are part-funded by the taxpayers.

Taxpayer run and state run are the same thing. If only catholics paid taxes, then you'd have a point, but they don't so that's moot. But as I said, if you opt out and fund your own schools then you can teach what and who you like, where's the problem?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

So if they don't get taught religion in schools do they get another half day or a day off?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Tehachapi wrote: »
    I have a big problem with this, and believe it is destroying childrens minds early on in life. Just today I am reading in the newspaper we have a huge shortage of science/maths/technology skilled people in this country.

So, we have a shortage of scientific skills in the country and you want to pin the problem on 'religion' ? Somewhere along the line intellectuality has been sabotaged here.. it just doesn't make sense.

However, if you have personal opinions against religion in general this argument is grade A material, because um, we all noes religion is source of the problum of everything.

Roll on human stupidity! [Almost certainly the actual cause of many problems]

Taxpayer run and state run are the same thing.

I agree. Catholic schools are not State run. They are Catholic run.

if you opt out and fund your own schools then you can teach what and who you like, where's the problem?

I agree with you - provided that the State pays denominational schools for providing a social service - educating children of those denominations.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Given the content and tone of so many of your posts, I find it hard to believe that children of yours would not be aggressive anti-Catholics.

And I find it strange that a person who does not have children is showing so much interest in how and where Irish and non-Irish children are taught.

FYP

Again no-one's talking about specifically catholic schools, these are our state run schools we're talking about but you refuse to acknowledge that.

I find it hard to believe that your kids would be anything but anti-freedom, racist, xenophobic and probably stupid going by your posts, thankfully I know better than to really think that would be the case. I'm done with this thread now. I bid you good day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Look, lets just come out and say it...

Any level headed logical minded person knows religion is only taken seriously by those who have had hard or tragic lives and are looking for a reason for their hardship / by people who are somewhat mentally feeble / people close to death who are afraid of the unknown who would belive almost anything that gives them some insight as to whats to come after death.

Religion was the dominent power in the world when it didnt have to prove itself, back then priests would call it fact, then religion had to start proving itself all of a sudden its no longer fact but symbolic. Eventually it will all be regarded as fiction and complete the steadly slide from where it once all came - the imagination of mankind.

Its not something that logical well minded people should be teaching children. Children should be aware of religion as it still a large factor in world events but should be told that <Insert Jimmy Carr voice> "BTW its also been proved to be based on what once were called facts but now been outed as lies, priests back peddled and now say its not lies but symbolisim" kids, so ya know.... make what you want of that. :o

Call a spade a spade and just tell it to them straight.

• Advertisement

I agree. Catholic schools are not State run. They are Catholic run.

Which was my original point. And as such should be funded by Catholics, not the State.
    I agree with you - provided that the State pays denominational schools for providing a social service - educating children of those denominations.

If it's JUST the children of those denominations , then it's not a social service, it is a religious service, so the religion pays, not the state.

The difficulty you seem to be having here is that it is the role of the church to teach children about catholicism, not the state's. And if it wishes to spend it's money in such a fashion, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Honestly Crucamim i cant take your posts seriously because i find it hard to believe that anyone thinks like that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Respect the right for others to have their faith. Keep it out of school though.

Which was my original point. And as such should be funded by Catholics, not the State.

Why should Catholics pay tax to educate your children if you are not required to pay tax to educate the children of Catholics?

The difficulty you seem to be having here is that it is the role of the church to teach children about catholicism, not the state's.

And you seem to be having difficulty grasping that parents have a right to keep their children safe from harm. That means not allowing their children to be taught by teachers who might pose a threat. It also means keeping them away from children who might pose a threat. In my opinion all anti-Catholics pose a threat to Catholics.

Naikon wrote: »
    Respect the right for others to have their faith. Keep it out of school though.

And keep people who are not Catholics out of Catholic schools.

Why should Catholics pay tax to educate your children if you are not required to pay tax to educate the children of Catholics?

Because catholics have to pay tax to the state like everyone else, obviously. Lay people are NOT required to pay tax to a church as chruches in the country are not democratically elected organisations.

And you seem to be having difficulty grasping that parents have a right to keep their children safe from harm. That means not allowing their children to be taught by teachers who might pose a threat. It also means keeping them away from children who might pose a threat. In my opinion all anti-Catholics pose a threat to Catholics.

I believe we have a sex offenders register for that. Forty years too late, yes, funny who things like that work out.

Question then is, why do you want threating anti-catholic money in your schools? Wouldn;t you be better off without it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Ah Crucamin . Segregation ? You want segregation.....
    They tried that in South Africa. Twas a little frowned upon.

But on this tedious and slightly hysterical accusation you throw out about folk being anti catholic. In light of what has emerged about the Irish Catholic Church in recent years and about the Catholic Church globally why wouldnt people be anti Catholic Church?
    Do you have issues with folk being anti cruelty to animals or anti crime or anti corruption or anti pollution or anti child abuse?
    In light of the Churches attitude to children i dont think The Catholic church should be allowed within 500 yards of a school...

So. Honestly. Why shouldnt right minded decent people be anti Catholic Church?

• Advertisement

why do you want threating anti-catholic money in your schools?

Because Catholics have to pay tax to fund the education of anti-Catholics.

Advertisement