Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

Options
  • 01-07-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

My computer packed in and i cannot for the life of me figure out why. So i decided to go ahead and upgrade, I was looking at getting the following;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-066-OE

Its a weapon of a bundle but i was thinking a little bit expensive, anyone know of cheaper I7 bundles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

From one I've seen, everyone recommends i5 over i7. The i5 seem's better value for your money. So Have a look at that.
    What are you planning on using your PC for?
    Whats your budeget?
    What parts are you keeping from your old PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Basically im swapping out everything minus case PSU, optical, HDD and GFX card (4870, still a weapon of a card)

Gonna be used for gaming and music editing.

Budget is gonna be about 600 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

If you're not doing something that will use the i7's extra threads, you should go with an i5 2500k. I was able to put together something similar on scan that includes a 6950 2gb for the same price as the OCuk bundle.

165496.jpg

Not bad at all, I hate MSI but thats a nice card....

Narrowed it down to this one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-063-OE&tool=3

Cheaper and alot of positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

You would be as well off getting a good card now.
    Your current probably won't cut it in modern games any more. Well worth going for the build posted by merc.ie
    MSI boards are fine and considering you're getting a 6950 2gb, it's well worth going with that over the bundle. If you don't want to spend that much, drop down to a 1gb version, still as good.

• Advertisement

Ive a 1gb 4870, thatd cut most games in 2, never had an issue up until now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

apparently you'll get smacked with an extra 21% VAT at the checkout ordering to Ireland from OCUK

get the same parts here for much cheaper
    www.hardwareversand.de
    30 euro flat rate shipping

are you sure it wasn't the PSU that caused the pc to die?

just out of curiousity what is the make and wattage of it?

edit - just checked the second bundle - thats basically a rip off.

Its an 850w Antec, im getting it diagnosed tomorrow so that'll let me know what needs to be replaced.

Scan have a deal on their upgrades, alot cheaper then overclockers. wonder why...

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ConfigureSystem.asp?SystemID=1264

Advertisement