Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judo private classes in North Dublin/ City Centre?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Just started Judo about three months ago, and am enjoying it, I was just wondering if there was in anywhere that I could private Judo classes to make sure that my basics are right, and to help me on my journey to yellow belt?

Anywhere in North Dublin, or the City Centre would be great. Would it be wise to get privates this early in my Judo participation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just started Judo about three months ago, and am enjoying it, I was just wondering if there was in anywhere that I could private Judo classes to make sure that my basics are right, and to help me on my journey to yellow belt?

Anywhere in North Dublin, or the City Centre would be great. Would it be wise to get privates this early in my Judo participation?

I can't see how privates would benefit your judo at this early stage.

My advice would be to go along to The Daigokan Judo club on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The classes are small and between John Douglas and Tommy O'Hara theres almost 100 years judo experience.

D youo mind telling me where your training at the moment please.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Hi Makikomi, I would rather not identify my club as I like the anonymity I have here on boards somewhat. I take on board your comments about privates not being particularly helpful at this stage.

Thanks for replying.

PS Your judo posts are always excellent. Keep up the good work!

Hi Makikomi, I would rather not identify my club as I like the anonymity I have here on boards somewhat. I take on board your comments about privates not being particularly helpful at this stage.

Thanks for replying.

PS Your judo posts are always excellent. Keep up the good work!

Hey no problem on the anonymity. If your training on the northside no doubt we'll cross paths at some stage, and if you recognize me give me the nod and if I can I'll run you over anything you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 flatjab

if you give me your phone number we can arrange private judo classes for you

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I sort of disagree Mak.

I think Privates are a great way to pick up basics and progress much quicker.

The problem with classes is you are doing what everyone else is doing the majority of the time whereas an individual needs to build a game for themself, based around their strength and weaknesses

Just my thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

TBH rather than getting privates is to ask you coach is there any chance they could go over a particular technique or strategy with you.

I know when I was starting out or now have something particular I want to work on I said it to the coach at the end of a session and they'd include it in the next session. Be this a technique, transition work or tactics. This way they had a chance to mull over it and everyone in the group gained as a result.

Another appraoch is if you see one of the more senior grades there who is good at a particular technique you're interested in is to get them to show you. I know i've asked people several times and they've never had an issue taking 20 minutes to go through it with me. Similarily I see it now in my new club where I'm always willing to spend time during a session working with people on techniques and approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Andy Ryan could be the man to talk too, he's a top class Judoka and has his own gym he could do lessons in.

http://www.teamryano.com/contact/ for info on it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

The problem with classes is you are doing what everyone else is doing the majority of the time whereas an individual needs to build a game for themself, based around their strength and weaknesses

Where is an individual going to find their strengths and weaknesses in private one-on-one with a coach?.

You'll build your game around various resisting opponents in randori & competition

The OP is training in a Judo club in Dublin (N), there's not a club I know who wouldn't give the OP some individual time at the of of class or during it if the class has enough experienced Judoka.

If the OP really wishes to pay for privates then Cowzer's suggest (Andy Ryan) is bang on, I can't think of anyone better.

Advertisement