Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help..which sat nav to go for?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

i am looking to buy a sat nav, mainly for use in Ireland, Uk and europe for now.

but later in the year i am going to america. should I buy a cheap sat nav with europe maps and upload usa maps later (is this even possible?) or do i buy a sat nav with all these maps on it now?

thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

If there is a Halfords near you check out this unit, it will do all you need and you can get a safety camera subscription for Ireland as well.

I have one with a USA map on a card, but this does it all, worth getting.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_733563_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

A couple of years back I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 255 for about €100, IRE,UK & Western European maps, thought it was very good value, easy to use, used it in Spain last year, excellent, bought the USA maps on micro sd card for a holiday in Florida earlier in the year, slots in the back of the unit, excellent
    Can recommend Garmin but no experience of Tom Tom or others,

Doesn't have all the bells & whistles but I'm very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anna_B

lovely, thanks for the advice people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I don't want to start yet another "What SATNAV should I get????!!!111" thread so I'll hijack this.

I want one that's from a reputable manufacturer, fairly inexpensive but I'll pay a bit to avoid rubbish because it's a significant outlay anyway. Bluetooth so I can use my phone handsfree is essential because I don't have any handsfree device. Traffic updates would be advantageous. Ireland and Britain maps are necessary, anything more is a bonus.

I've been looking at both the Garmin Nuvi 265WT and the Garmin Nuvi 1390T, what do ye think of these, and is there anything better for the same money?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Same advice as before....

Stick with Garmin or TomTom . These update maps every few months.
    Garmin does the offer of lifetime updates for a particular device
    Tom Tom are currently offering annual map update sevice with 6 months extra free. TomTom also has the ability to correct maps your self & to shars others corrections via MapShare.
    You can compare TomTom devices here
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/
    You can compare Garmin devices here.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&ra=true

• Advertisement
Advertisement