Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need info on J1 in San diego

Options
  • 01-07-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Im planning a J1 for next year and thinking about San diego... does anyone know what the accom is like, jobs etc and the best part to stay in? i heard its expensive but a really good place to go :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I went there last year. Had a good time. It is one of the harder places to get jobs but you probably know that already. We found it hard to get accommodation as most renters want to do a credit check or need an america-based guarantor. They wouldn't accept Irish bank statements, rental histories or parents as guarantors because they live in Ireland. (Although this will probably happen wherever you go).

Jobs are possible to get but you have to think outside the box sometimes and actually work hard to get one, especially if you're under 21. There was a group of 4 of us and one was hired by Seaworld and the rest of us got jobs at small family-run shops. Seaworld were only taking people over the age of 21.

The most attractive places to stay for Irish would probably be the beaches, Pacific and Ocean. However, accomodation there is very expensive and rentals are geared towards wealthy americans doing vacation rentals. Places a bit further inland like Clairemont or even downtown San Diego are more affordable, although apparently there are reasonable places to be had in Ocean beach too.

It's a nice city, the people are friendly and it felt safe. Bear in mind though that you will be absolutely surrounded by Irish people, which can be a bit strange at times. If you want to get away from huge Irish crowds maybe consider another city, like Austin or Portland.

Feel free to PM if you need any more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I was there 3 years ago for a month after 2 months in san fran. I stayed in lucky D's hostel for all of it and worked for my board. I just made beds and stuff... Had to do about 3 hours for 5 days of the week something like that... City is really nice and going down to mexico for irish night was unreal...

Advertisement