Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Pearse Stadium - Sat 2nd July Clare v Galway

Options
  • 01-07-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

I'm driving up from Clare for this one and was just wondering what is the sutuation regarding parking for the match? Where are good places to park? I'll be using sat nav as it's first time driving to/around Galway.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most local estates have no restrictions. You can park there same as the residents.
    Plenty of space around Salthill estates if you are there early.

If you don't want to go into town and don't mind a trek, parking in Renmore and getting a bus into the centre and another bus out is another option. I don't think many would ever do this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

dont park near stadium cos you will get clamped, there was an uproar the last time a match was played there .cars were all over the place and plenty got clamped. if were going to the match i,d park at the dock,s ( you may not know where that is if your coming from CLARE;)) and get a bus from city, there is are plenty going to salthill . or leave early and make a day for it and park in salthill.UP GALWAY:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

There is a pay and display on Salthill seafront. If you park there you can walk to stadium. You would probably need to get there early though. There is plenty enough to keep you amused if weather is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Watch out for Clampers, they are really 'clamping' down on illegal parking, pardon the pun!

Think Bailey Point has a large underground Car Park?? I don't know, never used it.

Fast Forward to 1:06! "Blatant abandoness of cars!!" "PJ will be down on Saturday!"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get there very early. Usually you can see cars parked quite a bit away during the big matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh sure'n just park anywhere, the guards don't seem to mind on match days!

Seriously though ... try any of the three car-parks near the prom and walk. Bailey Point is probably biggest / easiest ...

I'll be editing this post with a map reference just as soon as I've fixed a slight problem that I just noticed on the map :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

JustMary wrote: »
    Ahh sure'n just park anywhere, the guards don't seem to mind on match days!

Seriously though ... try any of the three car-parks near the prom and walk. Bailey Point is probably biggest / easiest ...

I'll be editing this post with a map reference just as soon as I've fixed a slight problem that I just noticed on the map :eek:
    +1

As its your first time leave early and get there with plenty of time and park next to the prom.
    Only a short walk from there and plenty to do around Salthill as the weather is set fair:)
    Enjoy the day(but not too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

If you plan to be in Salthill at least 90 minutes before the game starts, you will get parking on the Prom without difficulty. Pay and display is not required anywhere on the Prom. Enjoy the game and go easy on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Let us know how you got on...and how many cars you saw improperly abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

cats.life wrote: »
    dont park near stadium cos you will get clamped, there was an uproar the last time a match was played there .cars were all over the place and plenty got clamped.

That's a lie. Why would you lie? OP there were no cars clamped. The City Council abandoned it's clamping regime nearly three years ago. Last big match, a pile of illegally parked cars got tickets, not clamped. BTW they were horrendously parked blocking driveways, footpaths etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, so fixing the car-parks map took longer than I thought (dratted slow computer).

Here's the map ... and yes, Bailey Point does indeed have a big "underground" car-park.

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2011/07/car-parks-and-parking-building-in.html

Oh ... and this is one time when I don't recommend catching the bus: too much chance that it will get snarled up in traffic jams caused by badly parked cars!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not that big since the lower level flooded and they closed it off. Topside is residents parking in Baily point.

Anyway this will be the last big match of the summer in Pearse I am sory to say :)

dont park near stadium cos you will get clamped, there was an uproar the last time a match was played there .cars were all over the place and plenty got clamped. if were going to the match i,d park at the dock,s ( you may not know where that is if your coming from CLARE;)) and get a bus from city, there is are plenty going to salthill . or leave early and make a day for it and park in salthill.UP GALWAY:D

Thats terrible advice. The docks is 24hour pay and display why would you tell someone to park there and pay for hours of parking when the rest of the city is free after 6:30.

I will be going and will be doing my usual of parking in one of the estates around the stadium or on the side of the main road. If you park legally, dont block any driveways etc there is no problem parking there. I certainly am not going parking miles away thats for sure.

I go to Pearse stadium quite a bit and the "bad parking blocking up the streets" is grossly exaggerated the last time I was there I kept an extra eye out because of people complaining in this fourm and I didnt see any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

mikemac wrote: »
    Most local estates have no restrictions. You can park there same as the residents.
    Plenty of space around Salthill estates if you are there early.

If you don't want to go into town and don't mind a trek, parking in Renmore and getting a bus into the centre and another bus out is another option. I don't think many would ever do this though.

becareful with parking in the local estates , Clamping is going on at the back of the Pearse Stadium , think call it rockbarton court
    parking and blocking driveways, footpaths the cop have you for it and cop do photo the them cars , at the end of the match it take you 1 hour to get across town .
    Njoy the match

Thats terrible advice. The docks is 24hour pay and display why would you tell someone to park there and pay for hours of parking when the rest of the city is free after 6:30.

I will be going and will be doing my usual of parking in one of the estates around the stadium or on the side of the main road. If you park legally, dont block any driveways etc there is no problem parking there. I certainly am not going parking miles away thats for sure.

I go to Pearse stadium quite a bit and the "bad parking blocking up the streets" is grossly exaggerated the last time I was there I kept an extra eye out because of people complaining in this fourm and I didnt see any problems at all.
    ok then where are you parking? infront of some ones path up on kerb blocking wheel chairs and buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ok then where are you parking? infront of some ones path up on kerb blocking wheel chairs and buggies.
    He/she explained where they were parking and clearly stated it wasn't in front of anyones drive. Theres no issue if they park on a path leaving access to drives open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I wont be able to make it to the game after all folks! Thanks for the advice though, will bare it in mind for future matches!

Yes that exactly what I said I was doing, did you even read the post.

There is plenty of places you can just park normally parallel to the kerb without blocking the road or any access to houses. There are also places which have grass along the path where you can go up on the grass with two wheels so not taking up space on the road or blocking the footpath.

Also if the path is wide enough for a car to put two wheels on and still leave room for wheelchairs or buggies I dont see the issue for the few hours once in a while there is a game in the stadium.

That's a lie. Why would you lie? OP there were no cars clamped. The City Council abandoned it's clamping regime nearly three years ago. Last big match, a pile of illegally parked cars got tickets, not clamped. BTW they were horrendously parked blocking driveways, footpaths etc.
    ah yes i do like the auld banter, lovely evening for it. some of you need to read up on rules of the road as in where is ok to park ect. as for me being a lier, whats the diference clamped or tickets they had to pay for blocking people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As someone who lives near. I don't really give a toss about the parking. It is a bit of a bitch if people park on both sides of the street though...very difficult to back out of a drive way if theres cars on both sides of the street and most likely very close to the drive...

just saying!! I could see why it annoys some. It would be more difficult with a bigger car now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ah yes i do like the auld banter, lovely evening for it. some of you need to read up on rules of the road as in where is ok to park ect. as for me being a lier, whats the diference clamped or tickets they had to pay for blocking people in.
    And you could read up on the great spelling in your posts or lack there of.

As has been said by many, if you park in a way that does not interfere with anyone then there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Was passing on Dr. Mannix Road heading to town and the boys in blue hand out tickets to people parked in the Green , beside oaklands ... now let see the papers and GBFM on monday lol and again the boys were taken photos ,

whats the diference clamped or tickets they had to pay for blocking people in.

Ticket: €40. Clamp: Up to €120 and your car is immobilised. That's a fairly big difference.

Illegally abandoned vehicles everywhere!
    It is pretty shocking that the authorities made no effort to inform pedestrians that they are failing to provide a safe environment for them today.

Edit: they are not blocking motorist thoroughfares

Ticket: €40. Clamp: Up to €120 and your car is immobilised. That's a fairly big difference.
    then why do people get them selve's a ticket or clamped ? must have plenty of money .

Cos gaa fans are immune :)

then why do people get them selve's a ticket or clamped ? must have plenty of money .

They don't get clamped. That was a lie. They get tickets.

They don't get clamped. That was a lie. They get tickets.

gaa tickets?

galway won anyway yahooo , i won a bet ,rubbing hands 50e

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Illegally abandoned vehicles everywhere!
    It is pretty shocking that the authorities made no effort to inform pedestrians that they are failing to provide a safe environment for them today.

Edit: they are not blocking motorist thoroughfares

Would you ever give over, there was nothing wrong with the parking today back there, a few cars on paths and people in this forum lose the head it's pure nonsense!

Advertisement