Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Pearse Stadium - Sat 2nd July Clare v Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Theres no issue if they park on a path...

...other than it's illegal

And you could read up on the great spelling in your posts or lack there of.

Sorry, not having a go at you personally, but in the context of your commenting on his spelling, that's hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have lived in Salthill for three years now. Never saw the clampers out at the carpark spaces in front of the Sac at the weekends until yesterday. Must have been a nice payday for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Wompa1 wrote: »
    As someone who lives near. I don't really give a toss about the parking. It is a bit of a bitch if people park on both sides of the street though...very difficult to back out of a drive way if theres cars on both sides of the street and most likely very close to the drive...

just saying!! I could see why it annoys some. It would be more difficult with a bigger car now
    It's actually illegal to back out of a driveway onto a road, people are supposed to back into the driveway and drive out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

churchview wrote: »
    Sorry, not having a go at you personally, but in the context of your commenting on his spelling, that's hilarious :D
    Damned space bar!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Would you ever give over, there was nothing wrong with the parking today back there, a few cars on paths and people in this forum lose the head it's pure nonsense!

Nothing wrong? A few?

Totally incorrect, I say. Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's actually illegal to back out of a driveway onto a road, people are supposed to back into the driveway and drive out.

Makes no difference it would still be difficult. Not sure of the estate but if you were walking up the road past Lesiureland, close to the stadium there's an estate on the left. There always seems to be cars parked on both sides of the street which leaves damn all space to try and get a car out of a drive way.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Nothing wrong? A few?

Totally incorrect, I say. Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary.

Why can people not accept that its the done thing during matches and its not going to change its good enough for the vast majority of people but there is always a few. The roads are more of less closed off anyway so I cant see the problem in walking on the road, I walked the whole way to the stadium from where we parked along the middle of road and same on the way back without any difficulty and it wasn't because the paths were blocked it was just handy as virtually no cars were on the road.

In most cases there is not problem passing by a cars anyway we were parked on a path but you could easily pass even with a wheelchair etc, though Im sure a wheelchair user would be glad to use the road like everyone else the last day and avoid crossing the constant undulations on the footpaths because of driveways etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crashvictim

Bring back Tuam stadium!! A stadium should never of been built in Salthill, no proper road access. The last time I was there for a match it took me over an hour to get out of there.

Why can people not accept that its the done thing during matches and its not going to change its good enough for the vast majority of people but there is always a few. The roads are more of less closed off anyway so I cant see the problem in walking on the road, I walked the whole way to the stadium from where we parked along the middle of road and same on the way back without any difficulty and it wasn't because the paths were blocked it was just handy as virtually no cars were on the road.

In most cases there is not problem passing by a cars anyway we were parked on a path but you could easily pass even with a wheelchair etc, though Im sure a wheelchair user would be glad to use the road like everyone else the last day and avoid crossing the constant undulations on the footpaths because of driveways etc.

Of all the lame self-serving excuses for our Irish ways of responding to Irish (and European) laws, "it's the done thing" must rank high among the worst of them.

It was, and maybe still is, the "done thing" for politicians to take backhanders, for banks to do crooked deals and for the clergy to rule the roost. The approval of the "vast majority", and tacit acceptance by those in positions of authority, doesn't make it right.

Cars belong on the road, whether parked or not. Footpaths are for feet -- the clue is in the name.

I recommend reading the Rules of the Road; motorists are required to be familiar with them. Anyone who isn't, and who perhaps got their driving licence in a lucky bag, ought to be permanently banned from driving IMO.

http://www.lireland.com/theory/prohib.htm

• Advertisement

I recommend reading the Rules of the Road; motorists all road users are required to be familiar with them.

http://www.lireland.com/theory/prohib.htm

Agree with pretty much everything you've said there with the exception of the above. My edit fixes it!

Agree with pretty much everything you've said there with the exception of the above. My edit fixes it!

Yes, fair enough in a general way. Not much point though in pedestrians being familiar with the RoTR when "it's the done thing" for motorists to take over their facilities whenever it suits them.

And don't you go complaining about people parking in your driveway either. Just keep repeating the mantra and you'll be fine. It's the done thing. You could sing it.

And don't you go complaining about people parking in your driveway either.

Well I won't complain, but I will say they did again last Saturday. Two cars. It's the sheer ignorance and bad manners of it that gets to me. I'm tempted to get myself some cheap clamps just so I can have a "word" with them when they want to move.

Yes, fair enough in a general way. Not much point though in pedestrians being familiar with the RoTR when "it's the done thing" for motorists to take over their facilities whenever it suits them.

And don't you go complaining about people parking in your driveway either. Just keep repeating the mantra and you'll be fine. It's the done thing. You could sing it.

Blocking a driveway is a totally different thing as you are actually stopping a person leaving their house, as I said in most cases there is enough room for a car to put two wheels on a path and still leave plenty of room on the path but even if an odd car is blocking the path its hardly that much effort to go around the car for the 2 or 3 hours once in a while there is a game. I often park on a footpath for a game and its not hard to leave enough room.

I just cant understand how such an insignificant thing gets people so bothered, even if it was a very busy road there may be something in it but we are mostly talking about quite estates where it doesn't take a second thought to go past a car.

Do you have a problem with a car on a path that is not obstructing anybody from passing?

I just cant understand how such an insignificant thing gets people so bothered, even if it was a very busy road there may be something in it but we are mostly talking about quite estates where it doesn't take a second thought to go past a car.

Kingston Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Why can people not accept that its the done thing during matches and its not going to change

Your attitude sucks, 'it's the done thing' so long as it suits you yeah? sure it's no bother, all the people complaining are full of it, they should roll over and accept it....no chance, that kind of 'it's the done thing' should not be tollerated in this country any more, the done thing should be to obey the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Blocking a driveway is a totally different thing as you are actually stopping a person leaving their house, as I said in most cases there is enough room for a car to put two wheels on a path and still leave plenty of room on the path but even if an odd car is blocking the path its hardly that much effort to go around the car for the 2 or 3 hours once in a while there is a game. I often park on a footpath for a game and its not hard to leave enough room.

Do you have a problem with a car on a path that is not obstructing anybody from passing?

what i say on sat heading in two town , problem was the 4 wheels on a path this was about 30 cars , including parking in the Greens in the oakland area and people where walking on the roads .

if a taxi hit a kid walling on the road , due cars park on the path , who in the wrong ... the taxi

the roads around most football grounds cant cope with all the parking . this is from Rugby , Soccer , Gaa .

go to uk and so on it run like a T with get people to and from games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Bring back Tuam stadium!! A stadium should never of been built in Salthill, no proper road access. The last time I was there for a match it took me over an hour to get out of there.

Both stadiums were built in the 1950's, Pearse stadium is not new.

You obviously don't seem to grasp the difference between legal and illegal, you are talking as if there is a grey area in between.

Say for example I see people fighting, does that make it okay for me to go over and box the loaf of you and then kick you in the head while you are on the ground. Think about that scenario and then apply the logic to the crap you are posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

The problem with most of the estates is the width of the roads. You can hardly squeeze a car through on match days. What about an ambulance or fire engine?

1. Which part of this rule do you not understand?
    "Even if you do not see a particular "no parking" sign or yellow line on the road, you must not stop or park ... wholly or partly on a footpath, a grass margin, a cycle lane or track or a median strip."

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/parking/no-parking_disc-parking.html
    2. If it is so insignificant, why not just park on the road where cars properly belong?

• Advertisement

Well I won't complain, but I will say they did again last Saturday. Two cars. It's the sheer ignorance and bad manners of it that gets to me. I'm tempted to get myself some cheap clamps just so I can have a "word" with them when they want to move.

Now ye're talkin.

Easy and cheap to do. And very effective. AFAIK clamping on private property is still unregulated in this country, so there's probably nothing stopping you other than your own reticence.

First, get yourself some appropriate signage, to CYA.

Then choose from one of these clamps, according to your budget. You could be 'in business' for not much more than €100, and if you charge the typical release fee, say €80-100, you'll make your money back in no time.

Think of it as an investment, as well as sweet entertaining revenge.

Now ye're talkin.

Easy and cheap to do. And very effective. AFAIK clamping on private property is still unregulated in this country, so there's probably nothing stopping you other than your own reticence.

First, get yourself some appropriate signage, to CYA.

Then choose from one of these clamps, according to your budget. You could be 'in business' for not much more than €100, and if you charge the typical release fee, say €80-100, you'll make your money back in no time.

Think of it as an investment, as well as sweet entertaining revenge.

con_saw.jpg

Ye would have an awful time living in the estate I'm in here in cork where loads of residents park on the footpaths at night.

http://omg.wthax.org/con_saw.jpg

Ye would have an awful time living in the estate I'm in here in cork where loads of residents park on the footpaths at night.

There are selfish ignorant obnoxious parkers everywhere in this country, including where I live.

Roll on the day when penalty points are applied for footpath parking, as has been recommended by at least one state body.

They can try angle-grinding their way out of those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

con_saw.jpg

Good luck cutting a metal clamp using a stone blade.

There are selfish ignorant obnoxious parkers everywhere in this country, including where I live.

Roll on the day when penalty points are applied for footpath parking, as has been recommended by at least one state body.

They can try angle-grinding their way out of those...

I dont intend to be condoning bad parking in general, I dont like to see an awful lot of what goes on. The point I am making is that in my opinion (legal or not) parking cars on a footpath without blocking it in order to keep the road clear for special situations like a match is hardly a crime against humanity and I find it very nit picky of people to be latching onto it.

mikom wrote: »
    Good luck cutting a metal clamp using a stone blade.

I wasn't exactly going for that level of accuracy, that said I've cut plenty of reinforced lintels etc with the stone blade so if you find a weak spot in the clamp Id imagine you would succeed.

I dont intend to be condoning bad parking in general, I dont like to see an awful lot of what goes on. The point I am making is that in my opinion (legal or not) parking cars on a footpath without blocking it in order to keep the road clear for special situations like a match is hardly a crime against humanity and I find it very nit picky of people to be latching onto it.

Of course motorists would think pedestrians, children, disabled people and senior citizens not too steady on their feet are just being "nit picky".

After all, such motorists have two Golden Tickets to immunity from law and special treatment for their own convenience: (1) they are car owners, (2) they are match attenders, especially the GAA variety.

They're the Untouchables.

Here's a question or two: in "special situations like a match" why can the exemption not be made for illegal parking in the road? If matches are so special, why is there any requirement to keep the road clear at all? Is it not being "nit picky" to expect clear roads in "special situations"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GALWAYLAD777

Of course motorists would think pedestrians, children, disabled people and senior citizens not too steady on their feet are just being "nit picky".

After all, such motorists have two Golden Tickets to immunity from law and special treatment for their own convenience: (1) they are car owners, (2) they are match attenders, especially the GAA variety.

They're the Untouchables.

Here's a question or two: in "special situations like a match" why can the exemption not be made for illegal parking in the road? If matches are so special, why is there any requirement to keep the road clear at all? Is it not being "nit picky" to expect clear roads in "special situations"?
    Absolutely, I agree 100%. Sure we all know that if you're into the GAA and goin' to the match that different rules of the road apply, actually, the rules are put to one side, because sure its the match!! Tis schport, tis the done thing don't ya know, the gardai sit on the wall getting paid for I dunno what, only to direct traffic at the end of the match, because they certainly do nothing about VEHICLES that are parked on footpaths. these yobbo's have no regard for peoples neighbourhoods. they park on flower beds and ruin grass verges and block access to the disabled, buggys and create blind spots where children can get knocked down. A blind eye is turned by the gardai to all of the above...but... but ... sure its schport, sure.. sure...its the match...the rest of us are considered moanbags by the match goers for pointing out their blatant disregard in relation to parking. Lose the belly, park in a carpark, walk the rest of the way to the match or get the bus... These will always be the Untouchables as long as we live in the gombeen nation that we do...

Advertisement