Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshops are using some kind of mind control device

Options
  • 01-07-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

I don't know how it happened!.
    All I was doing was walking along minding my own business.I was just passing Chapters and decided to take a quick look in the window,just a quick glance with no intention of buying anything.
    An hour later I find myself dazed on the path outside ,minus €40 ,and carrying two bags of books.I don't even remember entering the shop.........the whole experience smacks of dark forces ,devil magic I tell ye.;)

Damn now I have about 50+ books to read.:D

Is it possible to pass a bookshop without glancing in the window?

booksawaitingreading.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Even though I have enormous stacks of books that I want to read, I always end up buying new ones every time I go anywhere near a bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Always happens me with Oxfam ... I go in with a bag of books to hand over & end up coming out with two bags full to add to the pile waiting to be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Even though I have enormous stacks of books that I want to read, I always end up buying new ones every time I go anywhere near a bookshop.

Thats me exactly, im a compulsive, impulsive book purchaser. In fact its happening at the moment. I have it in my head that i want to walk down the road to waterstones and buy two books i want and know they have, the problem is im away and have no real way of getting them back but waterstones have their hooks in me now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As for ebooks, let us not even mention Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's like the scene in Black Books where Manny goes out for some paint and walks past a bookshop. He goes in and comes out seconds later with over £100 worth of books along with a coffee and a giant muffin. :D

I do the same thing. I have somewhere between 30 and 40 books on my shelf that I have yet to read. And yet I still go out and buy more.

Damn me and my questionable money management skills. >_<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I hate when this happens! (Well maybe not hate ;)) I've found downloading books to help somewhat or not bringing cash or my laser card with me into town :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I wandered into Hodges Fidges the other day and inexplicably picked up all of the Umberto Eco books I don't own. Oh, and I picked up an Eric Hobsbawm book for some reason. I don't know whats wrong with me.

They're so nice in there though. I have this loyalty card and if I'm 5 euro away from getting a stamp worth a tenner, I'll spend an extra fiver. They're very crafty really.

I like to think that in some way, in the back of my head, that I think of myself as some kind of patron of the arts. Its so very rare to actually pay for intellectual property these days. Ebooks will eventually make writers even more destitute than they already are, just think whats its like when you can start filesharing for novels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

They are fiendish fiends, those booksellers. Why is it that the unread books in a bookshop are always a hundred times more appealing than all the unread books sitting next to your bed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

That is so true! I have loads of new books at home, but still can't resist the latest good bestseller in the book shop. I hear there is a new independent bookshop above Twisted Pepper/3FE in Abbey St. Has anyone purchased a book there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

i am under orders from the mrs. to read some of the books sitting in a huge pile awaiting to be read, before i'm allowed to purchase more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

That is so true! I have loads of new books at home, but still can't resist the latest good bestseller in the book shop. I hear there is a new independent bookshop above Twisted Pepper/3FE in Abbey St. Has anyone purchased a book there yet?

Damn!...why have you told me this?.

Is there no end to my torment?.:)

I actually think we now need a support group.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 grocklecat

i suffer from the same affliction...

even when i ban myself from buying books, somehow i find all those books which i don't actually pay full price for (bookcrossing, second hand shops, friends foisting them on me, you know...)

Oh hello there, fellow Book Crosser!

I saw a Youtube video that someone posted up about the Book Addiction support group. I'll try to post it up later.

Bookaholics meeting HQ

Don't panic, i have now found the perfect support group for us all. I saw this a while ago on FB. Who is coming to this meeting?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1864386303354&oid=272026873941&comments

Advertisement