Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting bags/mat

Options
  • 01-07-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

I'm going to get myself a shooting bag to hold my rifle and a few bits but also doubles up as a shooting mat. I don't have any experience with these so any advice would be welcome i.e. where to buy and what brand! :)

I was looking at a review on a NcStar shooting bag/mat and it seemed fairly good and quiet cheap, which brings me to my next point....I dont want to spend big money on it! :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Patsat,
    I find that those camping mats you sleep on work fine and are cheap.
    thermarest-ridgerest1.jpg
    If you feel like spending some money, then there are a lot of nice shooter's mats out there.
    Roll-Up-shooters-Mat3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

What I want is an all in 1 bag/mat.

I already use a cheap mat like above for shooting on but the problem is when i'm going to the place where I zero/practice a few shots I end up having to make one or two trips carrying everything!

I'm hoping to get a bag that will hold my rifle,ammo and all other things needed whilst also doubling up as a shooting mat.

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUjk71e6Qs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try here,

or here.

The Aim one i've seen working. Good item, but not fully waterproof. The second one i've never seen but have heard of from a few lads.

There are plenty to be got. Try a search for "Drag bag/Shooting Mat combo". Should get you a few results.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

aaaggggghhhhhaaaa,

feck ya pat - another item for the wanted list...............

Was looking at that Voodoo one and seems to be pretty much the same as the NcStar one but nearly twice the price! :eek:

No doubt it is probably better quality but don't want to spend much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have a drag bag that I use as an impromptu mat.
    I have had it 7 or 8 years and it is by far the most used piece of kit I own

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

patsat wrote: »
    Was looking at that Voodoo one and seems to be pretty much the same as the NcStar one but nearly twice the price! :eek:

No doubt it is probably better quality but don't want to spend much!

Without trying to sound like a smart ass you get what you pay for. Don't go for the cheaper option simply because it saves a few quid. I would sooner pay the few quid more and guarantee the safety of my firearm, and my own comfort when lying down shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Have looked at quiet a few reviews and it seems that the NcStar bag is every bit as good as the VooDoo in terms of quality! Everyone seems to be happy with the quality and no horror stories :D

The VooDoo is chinese made too so I can't justify spending more money for more of the same!

I'll get the NcStar and let ye know what its like when it arrives! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Does almost all you want, and is waterproof

dprsc1nx500b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

patsat wrote: »
    I'm going to get myself a shooting bag to hold my rifle and a few bits but also doubles up as a shooting mat. I don't have any experience with these so any advice would be welcome i.e. where to buy and what brand! :)

I was looking at a review on a NcStar shooting bag/mat and it seemed fairly good and quiet cheap, which brings me to my next point....I dont want to spend big money on it! :D

Thanks

There is an old saying "Buy cheap and you will buy Twice" you are better off holding off with your few euros save a bit more and buy something you would like, and know will last and is what you want or like, dearer does not mean better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I have the AIM Mat Bag Combo myself and it's served me very well. Whilst, as Ezridax says, it's not fully waterproof, it's about as water-resistant as I've needed (and that has included some very rainy days on the range).

The case functions perfectly well as a gun-case, drag-bag, and as a shooting mat. It's rare enough to find a bit of kit that actually does what it's supposed to do, and doesn't fall down in one area whilst trying to be a "jack-of-all-trades": This bit of kit is pretty great IMO.

It will easily take a rifle with a 26'' barrel - but I've also been transporting my TRG with it's shiny new-ish 32'' barrel in it up until last week (It can take the extra-long target barrel but it's not really designed for that gun-length and I've been having to use the "drag hood" to cover the business end of the barrel - That said, it's done the job and I've only just now got around to getting the AIM 60 bag to take my FTR gun - I'll probably still use the AIM Mat Bag Combo for pottering about with the shorter barrelled rifles and for plinking about the place, as the mat/bag/drag-bag means one bit of kit does a fair amount and it's at least one less bit of kit to carry).

Of course, I may also be selling the Mat Bag combo, to part-pay for my new AIM 60 bag, if I do find that it's now become "surplus-to-requirements" over the next couple of weeks of the Summer.;):D

Feck ya anyway dCorbus if I had known I could have held out and bought yours if ya didn't need it! :D

I took a chance and bought the NcStar one off ebay, will let ye know how it performs once it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Advertisement