Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Speed Checks

Options
  • 01-07-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was driving from Clonmel to Thurles this morn,when I saw (too late btw)a garda car parked in front of 3 parked up HGVs in the parking lay by just before the exit for Thurles.
    The garda was standing out with a speed camera but was completely obscured by the lorries.
    I thought it was so sneaky!! :mad:im always on the motorway and have never seen them there before...has anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've never seen them there, but I have seen them
    • on the junction 9 southbound on-ramp.
    • beside the southbound and northbound carriageways halfway between junction 9 and 10.
    • on one of the Garda perches north of junction 7, northbound, just before motorway passes through the cool rock cutting section.

I'm always at 120km/h nowadays because fuel prices make driving any faster uneconomical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

lachin wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I was driving from Clonmel to Thurles this morn,when I saw (too late btw)a garda car parked in front of 3 parked up HGVs in the parking lay by just before the exit for Thurles.
    The garda was standing out with a speed camera but was completely obscured by the lorries.
    I thought it was so sneaky!! :mad:im always on the motorway and have never seen them there before...has anyone else?

Yes, I have seen them there, more than once actually and I dont go up that way all that often (matchs, shopping trips, airport runs etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honeyvale

Garda Speed Checks
    for how much:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

Lets put the cameras out of business by sticking to the speed limit:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Anyone see them anywhere else (van or handheld) anywhere else in North Tipp in recent times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I've seen them hiding in the bushes at Thurles Golf club area (notorious for speeding I might add).

The dual carriage between Cashel and Thurles (at the Cashel end especially)
    appears to be popular for speed checks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭djman

Have seen them just outside Tipp town on the Limerick Road in that 80km zone. They're here at least twice a week, no joke so must be making a fortune there. Also on the Cahir road across from Kilshane house where it's pretty hard to get to the 100km so i think they're wasting their time in that place. Also outside that pub on the left after Bansha, seen them there too.

N24 between Barne Lodge and Clonmel. Often there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,688 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

djman wrote: »
    Have seen them just outside Tipp town on the Limerick Road in that 80km zone. They're here at least twice a week, no joke so must be making a fortune there. Also on the Cahir road across from Kilshane house where it's pretty hard to get to the 100km so i think they're wasting their time in that place. Also outside that pub on the left after Bansha, seen them there too.

ya, 100KM/H limit there is ridiculous. I don't feel particularly safe going over 80km/h there tbh. Can't imagine anyone getting caught there!

Saw two this week on different days, both at approx 8.00 am :

1. Marked Traffic Corps car parked at top of the exit ramp on to the M8 near Two-Mile-Borris and officer standing beside it with handheld device, not sure whether it was the northbound or southbound carriageway being targetted.

2. Marked Traffic Corps car parked in on the left just after the Anner Hotel on the Dublin Road in Thurles. I think they had a handheld device and were aiming at traffic coming out from the town. It's a 50km zone and I was probably doing 75km when I copped (:P) them. They didn't jump out or chase me down, though.

Question: I always assumed the handheld devices were radar only and not cameras so they had to stop you at the time. Has technology progressed to handheld cameras, does anyone know? Cos if it has I'll probably be acquiring a fine and some points.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Seen one on a regular basis out near Lisronagh where you turn off for Moyle rovers pitch,also on the way to Carrick near Blarney Woolen mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Can I ask a genuine question here ?
    Are people more aware of their speed/less likely to speed because of the chance of meeting one of these speed checks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

I was let off speeding leaving New Inn 4 years ago, its a long story butv I bored plod into letting me go.
    I see the camera signs and take extra care.
    I tend not to exceed the limit.
    I wish the Gardai could catch and ban every tail gateing speeding pest off the road!

Was on Thurles-Nenagh road yesterday and went through the Ragg (Inch) - 50k zone - at approx 6.00 pm. There was a vehicle in front of me and just before leaving the 50k zone on Nenagh side there were 2 camera flashes from the back of an unmarked white van parked in to the side (one for me and one for the vehicle in front). Looked down at speedometer and I was doing between 55 & 60 kmh.

Does the flash indicate that I was exceeding the limit and can potentially expect a letter in the post?

Easy pickings there as it's very hard not to pick up some speed as you exit a speed limited area.

I don't know about the flash, but 60 in a 50 zone is not looking too good for you. At 55 you would probably get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

jprboy wrote: »
    Was on Thurles-Nenagh road yesterday and went through the Ragg (Inch) - 50k zone - at approx 6.00 pm. There was a vehicle in front of me and just before leaving the 50k zone on Nenagh side there were 2 camera flashes from the back of an unmarked white van parked in to the side (one for me and one for the vehicle in front). Looked down at speedometer and I was doing between 55 & 60 kmh.

Does the flash indicate that I was exceeding the limit and can potentially expect a letter in the post?

Easy pickings there as it's very hard not to pick up some speed as you exit a speed limited area.
    Yea you can expect the fine in the door in about one months time the flash is to prove your vehicle plus a photo of the driver in case you dispute it when it comes they don't flash if your under the limit there's a guy in those vans and they video in both directions at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lets put the cameras out of business by sticking to the speed limit

here here!

Pity they don't hang around country roads more, the amount of chancers flying about every day grrr.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cashel bypass yest, unmarked squad. Seem to be there a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanshaMan

I look forward to the day when the Gardaí can afford to put a sattelite into orbit and immediately fine anyone who exceeds the speed limit anywhere in Ireland.

No question: Speed Kills.

And I have no time for people who try to circumvent the Gardaí by publicising the location of speed checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

BanshaMan wrote: »

Speed does not kill.
    If it did we would all be dead from flying in airplanes.

What does kill is bad judgement at speed, drunk at speed, learner at speed,
    etc. etc.

Last week I saw a sign coming into Dublin on that 100 Kph stretch

'if you speed everyone suffers'

Another attempt at a sound byte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

lachin wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

How is it. If people drive within the speed limits whats to fear.

I look forward to the day when the Gardaí can afford to put a sattelite into orbit and immediately fine anyone who exceeds the speed limit anywhere in Ireland.

And I have no time for people who try to circumvent the Gardaí by publicising the location of speed checks.

No it dont, Carless use of the road does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanshaMan

619C wrote: »
    Speed does not kill.
    If it did we would all be dead from flying in airplanes.

What does kill is bad judgement at speed, drunk at speed, learner at speed,
    etc. etc.

Last week I saw a sign coming into Dublin on that 100 Kph stretch

'if you speed everyone suffers'

Another attempt at a sound byte.

Fair point 619C. "Collision Kills" would be more accurate.

Your observations - regarding bad judgement, drink, carelessness, defective brakes (to add to your etc's) etc. - explain why accidents happen but the determining factor in whether an accident proves fatal is directly proportional to the speed the vehicle is travelling immediately prior to impact.

Accidents happen. Deaths are preventable.

Fair point 619C. "Collision Kills" would be more accurate.

Your observations - regarding bad judgement, drink, carelessness, defective brakes (to add to your etc's) etc. - explain why accidents happen but the determining factor in whether an accident proves fatal is directly proportional to the speed the vehicle is travelling immediately prior to impact.

Accidents happen. Deaths are preventable.

Accidents dont happen, they are caused.

Advertisement