Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your right to an Abortion

Options
  • 01-07-2011 9:00pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These people are running a demonstration tomorrow stating they're "Saving babies lives and mothers mental health", it's called a "Rally for Life" and they are supporting the current norm which is if a woman is raped and becomes pregnant, under our current laws she is not entitled to an abortion, even if that rape consititutes incest.

This video sums up their attitude I think:

I'm attending a counter-rally if anyone wants to come. I think it is SO important that we stand against these people (peacefully) and make it known that there IS an opposition to these self righteous zealots who do not represent the women of this country.

The rage these guys causes in me is unreal. Their moral righteousness and indignation that people would want a choice is beyond what I can handle. When will it be that Ireland is not run by people like this? It's actually embarssing.

My personal opinion is that we have the right to a choice. Let the medical professionals decide the whens and hows, let the philsophers debate the moment of conception, but for me, what ultimately is so important is that we are women in charge of our own bodies and our own choice to have, or not have, children. The state and the church should have no say in that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What an awful video. Not only is the message against my own beliefs, but man it's really crappy quality.

Unfortunately I can't make the counter-rally tomorrow, but best of luck to all those who do!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

hard cases make bad law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Count me in, just signed up on the page there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"yo elephant, thanks for the reminder" is now my new favourite catchphrase.

my god that video is awwwwful, who approved that? how to make your cause seem amatuerish, have a badly animated zebra say "yo" , cos thats all down with the youths and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That's just awful, they do not own our bodies so it shouldn't be their decision :mad: Good luck to everyone who will be attending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What I forgot to mention in the original post, that is another crux to my logic is that, regardless of whether or not it's legal, the harsh reality is that women just go to the UK or Europe.

I have friends who've had abortions and friends who've had some horrific circumstances in their lives, the last thing they need, to add to this horrible time in their lives is to have to have a guilt and go abroad.

I hope more people can attend. I'm mostly sorry I couldnt raise this sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm anti abortion buy that's my belief and ever body is entitled to their own belief I just really hate the way everbody tries to force their belief upon others. That goes for both sides of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Adhamh

As opposed to self-righteous zealots who do represent every single woman in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If a woman decided to do this time is of the essence its just ridiculous that they would have to find the money to travel, plan, and then wait on a list that is backed up because two feckin countries are trying to use the clinics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

What I forgot to mention in the original post, that is another crux to my logic is that, regardless of whether or not it's legal, the harsh reality is that women just go to the UK or Europe.

I have friends who've had abortions and friends who've had some horrific circumstances in their lives, the last thing they need, to add to this horrible time in their lives is to have to have a guilt and go abroad.

This is my basic problem with the current legislation. A lot of women do have a choice to go to the UK but not all, for some it's just not feasible they can't get their hands on that money in time, can't do the research to find out what they need to know and are encouraged to play the happy expectant mother against their will. Unfortunately this group are the least well able to support their babies and vulnerable babies are born into effective poverty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Youth Defence = scumbags with a "moral" cause. Although it'd be sinking to their paltry level, it'd be kinda great to see a strong militant liberal group in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm anti abortion buy that's my belief and ever body is entitled to their own belief I just really hate the way everbody tries to force their belief upon others. That goes for both sides of the argument.

I completely agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the issue. However nobody is trying to force anyone who doesn't want an abortion to get one.

At least in Ireland women aren't being brought up on murder charges after having miscarriages (a disturbing new trend in the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

Won't be able to make the counter rally due to work but best of luck! What really gets me is when they display those horrible images at their rallies and protests on O'Connell St. It's bad enough that women have to go through this experience with very little support in this country but to have to walk down the street on a Saturday afternoon and be reminded of what they've gone through and made to feel guilty really p***** me off:mad:

It's about damn time we had another referendum in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Oh Youth Defence, you awful awful human beings....

Fad wrote: »
    Oh Youth Defence, you awful awful human beings....

do I want to know who they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

krudler wrote: »
    do I want to know who they are?

Hardcore Catholic pro-life nutters.

Hardcore Catholic pro-life nutters.

oh, had a google at their page
    Abortion is not just some overwhelming statistic that happens 50 million times a year, it's the death of an individual person; each abortion is the bloody and painful execution of some child. Sadly, it has now become acceptable to sacrifice children on the altar of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Not starting a prolife vs prochoice argument, this is a rhetorical rant.

Why do other people get to decide what I do to my body? If I were to get pregnant, why do other people get to make my choice for me? What if I didn't want to be pregnant full stop, I don't want to lose 9 months of my life to a child that my only option would be to give up because I couldn't support it. Why is this someone else's decision? Why should I have to pay money to travel to England if I were to seek an abortion? Because someone else has made the decision for me that I have to, because God forbid I had the option to do what I want with my body in my own country.

It's an absolute travesty and makes me so, so angry that other people who have one opinion get to decide what happens to someone else's body.

If you don't want an abortion then don't effing have one

It really is a demonstration of how backwards Ireland is in terms of modernisation when a woman cannot make her own choices because someone else has already made the choice for her.

Am in work today, but good luck to all who attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

While I'm utterly completely prochoice I can understand where prolifers are coming from with protests
    gosh I have mellowed out in the last few years!!

that said, if I could make the counter rally today I might have gone

good luck to ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I can't make the counter rally today :(.

Probably for the best as I don't know how civil I could remain.

Youth defence make me feel ill... with anger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'll tweet some pics to The Journal.ie (I made some rage meme posters..!) so hopefully "our" side will get some representation in the media. Hopefully it'll all be peaceful too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I'll tweet some pics to The Journal.ie (I made some rage meme posters..!) so hopefully "our" side will get some representation in the media. Hopefully it'll all be peaceful too!

A nation can't keep its head in the sand forever over an issue. Good work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Lovin' the idea of the meme posters! Please post pics/links to any rally-related articles afterwards. :) I'd love to know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just out of interest, the vast vast majority of women who travel abroad for an abortion, who are not pregnant due to a horrific rape, but who do not wish to continue with a pregnancy for whatever reason of their own, what do you think the legal position should be on access to abortion services for those women?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Because someone else has made the decision for me that I have to, because God forbid I had the option to do what I want with my body in my own country.
    I certainly support the thrust of the march. But I always wonder whether people who make the type of statement above actuallly mean it.

If women were to be fully free to do what they choose with their own body, they would be entitled to have an abortion at 39 weeks, or during delivery (obviously, very few would actually exercies that choice). Most people (perhaps even yourself?) agree that that should not be permitted.

So it is not about allowing women to do anything they choose with their body; it is about determining where the balance lies between the rights of two different entities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Just out of interest, the vast vast majority of women who travel abroad for an abortion, who are not pregnant due to a horrific rape, but who do not wish to continue with a pregnancy for whatever reason of their own, what do you think the legal position should be on access to abortion services for those women?

That they should be free to have one - up to a certain stage...just as it's legal to get the MAP. I'm not sure why contraceptions that prevent implantation are legal, the MAP is legal and yet some arbitrary line has been drawn that abortion is not - it certainly seems more political than "right to life".

Now, I'm not a fan of abortion but in the early days/weeks - I have no issue with abortion...once a pregnancy gets to more than, say, six to eight weeks - then I have more and more of an issue with it.

That said - being close enough to another country that you can afford to deport your issue en masse and still claim the moral high ground is more than a little transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

what do you think the legal position should be on access to abortion services for those women?
    Safe and legal in this country. If someone is absolutely determined to end a pregnancy, they will find a way and it is best if this takes place within a medical facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

drkpower wrote: »
    I certainly support the thrust of the march. But I always wonder whether people who make the type of statement above actuallly mean it.

If women were to be fully free to do what they choose with their own body, they would be entitled to have an abortion at 39 weeks, or during delivery (obviously, very few would actually exercies that choice). Most people (perhaps even yourself?) agree that that should not be permitted.

So it is not about allowing women to do anything they choose with their body; it is about determining where the balance lies between the rights of two different entities.

But this is my point, it's my body.

It's selfish, and I don't care. I should not have to put myself through the stress and pain of being pregnant and giving a child that I do not want up for adoption because I have no means to support it just because this backwards secular-but-still-sort-of-Catholic-just-cos-we-have-to-be society has made the decision for me that I can't have an abortion in my own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

But this is my point, it's my body.

I understand that. But is the implication that you should be legally permitted to procure an abortion at 39 weeks or during delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

More people wanting to legalize the murder of babies out of "choice", wheres their choice eh?

Its disgusting that some try and portray abortion as somehow being forward, progressive etc, while in actual fact it is barbaric in the extreme and is quite simply, the taking of a persons life.

(of course there is an exception imo where the mother has a very high chance of dying if the pregnancy is carried to term)

Advertisement