Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your right to an Abortion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just a few notes on this conversation from a couple of the books I read last year.

Theresa Iglesias in her book The Dignity of the Individual points out that the empirical facts of mammalian embryonic development are not up for dispute. What is critical is the interpretation that we hold regarding the status of these embryos. One’s conclusion is defined by one’s moral vision. She also suggests that because we have a hard time imagining that a small cluster of cells can be a human being, it's actually a lack of imagination that leads to seeing abortion as a viable option more than anything else.

Leon Kass in Towards a More Natural Science beautifully illustrates this point. The Hebrew preoccupation with birth was the inheritance of the son from the father and so they called it “begetting”. The Greeks, impressed by the springing forth of new life, called it “genesis”. The pre-modern Christian world, captivated by the Creator God, called it pro-creation.

And the modern world, mechanised and technologised, calls it “reproduction”. Pretty inadequate view imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Who is Prolife here?

If you read through the thread you'll get a fairly clear view of posters opinions on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Stheno wrote: »
    If you read through the thread you'll get a fairly clear view of posters opinions on the issue.

Well i am just asking who is prolife, i am.

There are too many to read through to know who is on what side. It's hard to tell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Who is Prolife here?

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

She also suggests that because we have a hard time imagining that a small cluster of cells can be a human being, it's actually a lack of imagination that leads to seeing abortion as a viable option more than anything else.

I don't agree with that, personally I have no problem accepting that a cluster of cells is potential human life AND being ok with abortion as an option. As I have said it is a stage of the development of a human life a cluster of cells, feotus, baby, child......

From reading this thread thats where the pro life people seem to get confused, when someone who is pro choice can say, yes I agree it is potential human life and yes I still think abortion should be an option. They are stumped by it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Well i am just asking who is prolife, i am..
    Pro-life can mean many different things. What does it mean to you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

*shudder* (the sound improves after a minute)

That being said, one thing this discussion has taught me is that they really, really really, truly in their hearts of hearts believe that, from the moment of conception, there is something "alive". And so, while I abhor being called a "murderer", I admire their conviction and determination. That's truly what they believe and they are going to fight to keep it.

If only us pro-choice people could be as organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Well i am just asking who is prolife, i am.

There are too many to read through to know who is on what side. It's hard to tell.
    And bear in mind that many posters are not on any 'side' - this may be why it's hard to pigeonhole everybody.

That being said, one thing this discussion has taught me is that they really, really really, truly in their hearts of hearts believe that, from the moment of conception, there is something "alive".
    But many pro-choice people, including myself and others on this thread, believe that from the moment of conception, there is something "alive".

That being said, one thing this discussion has taught me is that they really, really really, truly in their hearts of hearts believe that, from the moment of conception, there is something "alive". And so, while I abhor being called a "murderer", I admire their conviction and determination. That's truly what they believe and they are going to fight to keep it.

Yeah I think this thread has taught me that too, there are the zealots who just want everything to stay the same ALWAYS. But for the most part people are genuine in their belief. :)

• Advertisement

From reading many of the posts, I can tell who is pro-choice, pro-abortion and who is inbetween both but its hard to tell who is prolife here that is why I asked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

decembersun77, please use the standard font.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Theresa Iglesias in her book The Dignity of the Individual points out that the empirical facts of mammalian embryonic development are not up for dispute. What is critical is the interpretation that we hold regarding the status of these embryos. One’s conclusion is defined by one’s moral vision. She also suggests that because we have a hard time imagining that a small cluster of cells can be a human being, it's actually a lack of imagination that leads to seeing abortion as a viable option more than anything else.

How so? I'm sure there are plenty of pro-choicers out there (including myself) who are perfectly able to "imagine" (know) that embryo is a human life/being. It's just that I don't fancy relinquishing my right to decline being a host to another human being for 9 months.

EDIT: sambuka41 beat me to it... I'm the slowest typist ever!!:D

sambuka41 wrote: »
    From reading this thread thats where the pro life people seem to get confused, when someone who is pro choice can say, yes I agree it is potential human life and yes I still think abortion should be an option. They are stumped by it!!!

I assure you, I have no confusion regarding the pro choice position. I'm not sure either why you think anyone would be stumped by the idea that you fully understand the implications of performing an abortion and simultaneously agree with it. It's hardly rocket science...the autonomy of the individual is of higher value to you than the potential of human life.

Personally I could never agree...but of course that's just my rampant individualism talking. :pac:

seenitall wrote: »
    How so? I'm sure there are plenty of pro-choicers out there (including myself) who are perfectly able to "imagine" (know) that embryo is a human life/being. It's just that I don't fancy relinquishing my right to decline being a host to another human being for 9 months.

You haven't made any new point. You've simply reasserted that you are in favour of abortion. Iglesias is quite clearly talking about our interpretation of the status of the embryo, shaped by our values. Which you have expressed perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

From reading many of the posts, I can tell who is pro-choice, pro-abortion and who is inbetween both but its hard to tell who is prolife here that is why I asked.

I think most people are pro life...or at least, I don't know many people who are anti life...do you mean anti abortion? Anti contraceptive? Anti MAP? Or all of the above?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

drkpower wrote: »
    But many pro-choice people, including myself and others on this thread, believe that from the moment of conception, there is something "alive".
    Sorry, I mean, something is alive. Cells are, of course, but not a full human. I dont want to get drawn into the conversation about when a human exists, as I can see from this thread it goes into circles, and, I am not an expert. I leave those decisions to the medical experts.

I assure you, I have no confusion regarding the pro choice position. I'm not sure either why you think anyone would be stumped by the idea that you fully understand the implications of performing an abortion and simultaneously agree with it. It's hardly rocket science...the autonomy of the individual is of higher value to you than the potential of human life.

Personally I could never agree...but of course that's just my rampant individualism talking. :pac:

I guess its the point of the debate where things end, because neither side can really agree with the other. Some people on here and outside here do have difficulty accepting the rights of the woman, they don't understand it.

drkpower wrote: »
    Pro-life can mean many different things. What does it mean to you?

Well pro-life means the right to life of the unborn-thats what the pro-life movement is about. I am against abortion except in the case of incest, rape and if the mother's life is at risk.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I guess its the point of the debate where things end, because neither side can really agree with the other. Some people on here and outside here do have difficulty accepting the rights of the woman, they don't understand it.

/end thread :pac:

• Advertisement

sambuka41 and myself were responding to your summary of that author's book?

Why did you make that point if you don't think it relevant? (The point that pro-choicers may lack imagination to realise embryos are human beings etc.)

Well pro-life means the right to life of the unborn-thats what the pro-life movement is about. I am against abortion except in the case of incest, rape and if the mother's life is at risk.

That is not very pro-life? Why do you condemn these babies?

But if you believe that the foetus has right to life, why would the foetus of a rapist or through incest be any less deserving of life???

You haven't made any new point. You've simply reasserted that you are in favour of abortion. Iglesias is quite clearly talking about our interpretation of the status of the embryo, shaped by our values. Which you have expressed perfectly.

Eh? I asserted my position as being pro-choice while knowing what that author suspects that I don't, or don't have imagination enough to imagine. Because that's the point you were making, right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So you're pro choice so?

Why then are you so keen to know who is pro-life?

seenitall wrote: »
    sambuka41 and myself were responding to your summary of that author's book?

Why did you make that point if you don't think it relevant? (The point that pro-choicers may lack imagination to realise embryos are human beings etc.)

That was not a summary of the author's book: it was a suggestion that she made in it. A summary might be that human life life has an intrinsic value and our cultural norms should by rights reflect that.

I made the point because it is a common, tired and long-running argument that "It's not a baby; it's a cluster of cells" or "It's a parasite". This may or may not apply to your own position.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good, non-emotive book that argues in favour of abortion? I've read a few papers by Peter Singer but little else. He takes abortion to its logical conclusion which is, by any standards, a fairly grotesque place.

I think most people are pro life...or at least, I don't know many people who are anti life...do you mean anti abortion? Anti contraceptive? Anti MAP? Or all of the above?

Well i am against abortion. Kourtney Kardashian was going to have an abortion but she saw the shocking pictures of how it happens and that changed her mind. I know she is wealthy and has supportive family etc. It's not that easy for everyone. I think many women have abortions because of their life and financial circumstances. No one can be an Island one woman cannot do everything, if you don't have an okay partner, supportive family and friends around you and are on welfare living in a little bedsit with not much prospects and have a mental health problem I can understand very well why women in very hard circumstances have an abortion because they don't where to turn.

That was not a summary of the author's book: it was a suggestion that she made in it. A summary might be that human life life has an intrinsic value and our cultural norms should by rights reflect that.

I made the point because it is a common, tired and long-running argument that "It's not a baby; it's a cluster of cells" or "It's a parasite". This may or may not apply to your own position.

OK so, you brought forward a point, and I responded to that specific point of your post - a perfectly logical thing to do, don't you think? If you wanted me to make "any new point", you could have asked, I'm sure I'd be able to come up with something! :pac:

EDIT: Oh, and btw, it is a human life AND a parasite (as explained earlier in the thread).

Stheno wrote: »
    So you're pro choice so?

Why then are you so keen to know who is pro-life?

No, im pro-life. Because I wanted to know if i am alone in my opinion thats why i asked.

• Advertisement

Well i am against abortion. Kourtney Kardashian was going to have an abortion but she saw the shocking pictures of how it happens and that changed her mind. I know she is wealthy and has supportive family etc. It's not that easy for everyone. I think many women have abortions because of their life and financial circumstances. No one can be an Island one woman cannot do everything, if you don't have an okay partner, supportive family and friends around you and are on welfare living in a little bedsit with not much prospects and have a mental health problem I can understand very well why women in very hard circumstances have an abortion because they don't where to turn.

So you are prochoice in the case of victims of rape, incest, risk of life to the mother, and also consider individual circumstances as above to be justification for abortion?

Sounds more and more pro-choice to me as I read it.

Pro-life people believe that abortion is wrong in all circumstances.

Advertisement