Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian restaurant recommendations?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 9:09pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heya,

I'm in Galway this week for the film fleadh and have a mate with me who is looking for some Indian food...

Can anyone recommend a top flight Indian restaurant?? I dont mind if its pricey as long as its good....

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

DeVore wrote: »
    Heya,

I'm in Galway this week for the film fleadh and have a mate with me who is looking for some Indian food...

Can anyone recommend a top flight Indian restaurant?? I dont mind if its pricey as long as its good....

DeV.

Hey DeV - Welcome West!

The top couple are pretty comparable tbh

Kashmir (nicer decor)
    Eastern Tandoori
    Tulsi

Kumars is lovely and quaint in decor, nice staff, but I've found the food a bit so so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Kumars, Kumars, and Kumars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

eastern tandoori!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

There was a previous Thread about this, Enjoy your stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 androma

Eastern tandoori has by far the best food,kashmir is almost as nice,tulsi is a lower division!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chief Cooksalots native American diner on Dominic st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

johngalway wrote: »
    Kumars, Kumars, and Kumars :D

-1 Kumars.....Stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

androma wrote: »
    Eastern tandoori has by far the best food,kashmir is almost as nice,tulsi is a lower division!
    Tulsi is lovely, been numerous times and always been super food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I agree about Tulsi. Have not been in a while but have always had a nice meal there with good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

There was a prvious thread put .....
    Kumars + 1 ....Been a regular for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

-1 Kumars.....Stay away.
    You're entitle to your opinion but if you have a negative review then it's better to elaborate on what went wrong, did you speak to the manager etc.
    Just saying an establishment is bad somehow isn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I haven't lived in Galway for the past year so my recommendations might be slightly out of date, but here goes -

Kumars - distinctly average.

Tulsi - pretty good, it was better a few years but the standard seemed to slightly slip in recent times. The best onion bahji in town though.

Eastern Tandoori - Almost exactly the same as Tulsi.

Kashmir - Very good. The starters are fairly poor but the mains are great.

If it's authentic Indian food you're looking for, all of the above may disappoint. They're all definitely designed for Irish palates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kashmir and Tulsi are the best in Galway I think, of course you get better in London but as far as Galway restaurants go those two are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Pity that M&S trimmed down their selection of Indian. When they started they had a pretty good selection of mains and naan plus their appetizers are pretty good.

Might be an idea to save some money off takeaway is pick up your appetizers and rice and do them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I am a regular at Kumars, fantastic place and the staff are always willing to help, i fyou want a certain dish, or something cooked a special way they will do as much as they can do.

Eastern Tandori is a lovely place, nice staff and great menu.

Tulsi - I havent went there at night, but their lunch buffet arent very apealing, they dont take care in the look of the place when I was there and waitiers are very slow to help you out.

Kashmir is a lovely and fantastic place, their dishes are lovely. a Bit pricy in certain areas, andI have found the staff to be rude to be on occasions. However The food there is fantastic so I see mself going back every few months to see if the staff has changed.

Columc wrote: »
    I am a regular at Kumars, fantastic place and the staff are always willing to help, i fyou want a certain dish, or something cooked a special way they will do as much as they can do.

Tulsi - I havent went there at night, but their lunch buffet arent very apealing, they dont take care in the look of the place when I was there and waitiers are very slow to help you out.

Kashmir is a lovely and fantastic place, their dishes are lovely. a Bit pricy in certain areas, andI have found the staff to be rude to be on occasions. However The food there is fantastic so I see mself going back every few months to see if the staff has changed.

I'd pretty much agree with what you said. Kumar's staff are very nice, and I've been there a few times. Freezing place in winter, but lovely in summer. I just find their (veggie) dishes all very similar in taste/spicing, and that's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Meat dishes may be different. I will give it one more try though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

Yeah the tulsi buffet is rubbish alright. If you like the Eastern Tandoori's menu, you'll probably like Tulsi's too though, seeing as they're exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Yeah the tulsi buffet is rubbish alright. If you like the Eastern Tandoori's menu, you'll probably like Tulsi's too though, seeing as they're exactly the same.

Never been three at night so wouldnt know, just basing my decisions on the buffet when I have been there etc.

Will try it out at night some time.

inisboffin - I havent tried much of their veggie dishes to be honest so wouldnt know about them being the same. But one thing I have to say about Kumars, their starters are just fantastic. tandoori chicken and their onion bajies or even their veggie/meat in batter starter(name has gone out of my head) are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Eastern Tandoori would be your best bet Dev. It's no Bombay Pantry, but it nice, and it's a lovely place to eat, with decent staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Is a while since was there but found Kumars very heavy on the ghee and their spicier dishes not great just an over reliance on chilli and not balanced with other spices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm going to give Kumar's a go next Friday. I noticed they have a 50euro special for 2 people (inc. wine) - wonder if they have anything for 3 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Tusli don't do a lunch buffet . . . well not during the week anyway. Their food is very good. They do a four course lunch menu for €10.95 and their rice is just devine and main courses, although limited, are top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

dec25532 wrote: »
    Tusli don't do a lunch buffet . . . well not during the week anyway. Their food is very good. They do a four course lunch menu for €10.95 and their rice is just devine and main courses, although limited, are top class.
    They do a Sunday buffet lunch.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was with a mate and wanted to go to Eastern Tandoori but couldnt find it and stumbled over Kumars, so my mate and I went there and had their 45 euro meal for 2.

Very good, nice food, good service and great value. I certainly wasnt complaining.

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals! (now, any chance you can do something about the freakin' rain!)

DeV.

Glad you got sorted, and fitted in a bit of culture in the afternoon:)

We're working on the rain, it's possibly just a large burst pipe we think.

Advertisement